News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

I made a drive down to Paducah this weekend...sorry I did not take any pictures, but a couple of notes since the last time I was south of the Ohio:

1) The I-24 Mile Markers in Paducah have been replaced, with a Green and White "urban"  style marker that has the route shield and mileage...but KYTC has left the route shield Green and White also...looks like a Business 24 shield, which there is a BL 24 in Paducah that is a different road. I feel like this should be a normal blue I-shield on these mile markers, but that probably makes them more expensive to make, and I doubt they will be changed out again for awhile anyway

2) Last time I was down that way, I knew the US 60/Hinkleville Rd with I-24 Interchange was being reconfigured and rebuilt...I had guessed it was being made a SPUI...Nope! Nice, new DDI. I didn't think the traffic flow was signed very well for US 60 thru traffic. I am familiar with DDIs, and I'm sure the Paducah locals have figured out the traffic flow, also. An overhead BGS or two would be nice, IMHO

2b) KYTC doubled down on I-24 West's Control being St Louis. Brand new roadside BGSs placed at the new DDI clearly list Nashville and St Louis on the I-24 signs from US 60

GSV has driven thru and photoed this new DDI, although the GSV imagery does not appear it is fully after construction was completed

hbelkins

St. Louis begins appearing at the US 68 exit. Prior to that, St. Louis had been replaced with Paducah everywhere except one exit down near Hopkinsville, and that signage may have been changed out to reflect Paducah instead of St. Louis since I was last there.

Kentucky hasn't bought into Tennessee's use of Clarksville, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

I'm wondering how they will fit five lanes along US 23 by the houses and the railroad tracks. And if you look closely enough at the image, you'll see an Amtrak train with an electric catenary setup: https://goo.gl/maps/3vteE645ScUg2iHd6

Spring start for viaduct construction

Construction of a replacement viaduct taking Ky. 244 (Belfonte Street) from downtown Russell to U.S. 23 is expected to start in the spring, a Kentucky Department of Highways spokesman said.

The department has hired a contractor to build the viaduct for $20.6 million, spokesman Allen Blair said.

The viaduct will replace an aging structure that ramps up from Belfonte Street in downtown Russell to U.S. 23. The new route starts at about the same point but veers left and then loops over the river bank, the old structure, the CSX railroad tracks and U.S. 23.

ibthebigd

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2020, 12:07:18 PM
St. Louis begins appearing at the US 68 exit. Prior to that, St. Louis had been replaced with Paducah everywhere except one exit down near Hopkinsville, and that signage may have been changed out to reflect Paducah instead of St. Louis since I was last there.

Kentucky always pushes it's own cities it seams

Just like Huntington should be on signs going east but its Ashland

SM-G950U

wriddle082

Quote from: seicer on March 16, 2020, 11:03:29 AM

I'm wondering how they will fit five lanes along US 23 by the houses and the railroad tracks. And if you look closely enough at the image, you'll see an Amtrak train with an electric catenary setup: https://goo.gl/maps/3vteE645ScUg2iHd6

Spring start for viaduct construction

Construction of a replacement viaduct taking Ky. 244 (Belfonte Street) from downtown Russell to U.S. 23 is expected to start in the spring, a Kentucky Department of Highways spokesman said.

The department has hired a contractor to build the viaduct for $20.6 million, spokesman Allen Blair said.

The viaduct will replace an aging structure that ramps up from Belfonte Street in downtown Russell to U.S. 23. The new route starts at about the same point but veers left and then loops over the river bank, the old structure, the CSX railroad tracks and U.S. 23.

So I take it the road going off to the lower right in the sketch is KY 750 Kenwood Drive?  That type of connection would do an excellent job of connecting old Russell (by the river) with new Russell (on the hill).

Tom958

That old viaduct is ancient (1938, actually), but it's pretty. Have a  look.

wriddle082

Quote from: Tom958 on March 27, 2020, 10:33:13 PM

Yes I went over it many many times in my youth, as well as the old Russell-Ironton Bridge, which to me was never a scary bridge.  My mom bought an Oldsmobile in Ironton back in the 80's and used to get it serviced at the dealer.

Captain Jack

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 27, 2020, 08:21:22 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2020, 12:07:18 PM

Kentucky always pushes it's own cities it seams

Just like Huntington should be on signs going east but its Ashland

SM-G950U

It should be Huntington, and yes, they do.

Elizabethtown is still the control for I-69 from I-24 to the Pennyrile-Breathitt, even though it goes nowhere near it now. If they are going to use this mindset, why did they replace Hopkinsville with Fulton for the southbound traffic?

Evansville doesn't appear on a single mileage or directional sign, regardless that probably 60-70% of the northbound traffic from Madisonville north is heading towards the bridge. No Evansville, but there are mileage signs for KY podunks 20-30 miles away from the highway like Morganfield and Providence.

sparker

Quote from: Tom958 on March 27, 2020, 10:33:13 PM

The type of structure pictured is markedly similar to CA bridge design from the same period (cf. the L.A. River bridges east of the Figueroa Tunnels, later incorporated into the Arroyo Seco Parkway/old US 66).  The original Ramona Parkway, itself later absorbed by the San Bernardino Freeway, featured similar bridge structures dating from approximately the same time period (late '30's to just after WW II).  I'll always wonder if that was simply a preferred design style nationally during that era -- or if other states' highway departments (no omnibus DOT's back then!) were on the CH&PW mailing list -- and they liked what they saw illustrated there.

Tom958

Quote from: sparker on March 28, 2020, 04:51:55 AMThe type of structure pictured is markedly similar to CA bridge design from the same period (cf. the L.A. River bridges east of the Figueroa Tunnels, later incorporated into the Arroyo Seco Parkway/old US 66).  The original Ramona Parkway, itself later absorbed by the San Bernardino Freeway, featured similar bridge structures dating from approximately the same time period (late '30's to just after WW II).  I'll always wonder if that was simply a preferred design style nationally during that era -- or if other states' highway departments (no omnibus DOT's back then!) were on the CH&PW mailing list -- and they liked what they saw illustrated there.

I'd say the former.

It's unlikely to happen, but I wish they leave the part that's not over the railroad. There's a lovely similar structure roughly 1200 feet long still standing, except for the northernmost span, in North Augusta, SC.

sparker

Quote from: Tom958 on March 28, 2020, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 28, 2020, 04:51:55 AMThe type of structure pictured is markedly similar to CA bridge design from the same period (cf. the L.A. River bridges east of the Figueroa Tunnels, later incorporated into the Arroyo Seco Parkway/old US 66).  The original Ramona Parkway, itself later absorbed by the San Bernardino Freeway, featured similar bridge structures dating from approximately the same time period (late '30's to just after WW II).  I'll always wonder if that was simply a preferred design style nationally during that era -- or if other states' highway departments (no omnibus DOT's back then!) were on the CH&PW mailing list -- and they liked what they saw illustrated there.

I'd say the former.

It's unlikely to happen, but I wish they leave the part that's not over the railroad. There's a lovely similar structure roughly 1200 feet long still standing, except for the northernmost span, in North Augusta, SC.

I figured that as well; was being a bit sarcastic with the latter CH&PW comment regarding how we CA residents can be a bit state-centric at times!  I've always (since '67) missed that publication, though!

hbelkins

Lots of bridges still standing in Kentucky with concrete railing similar in appearance to the Russell Viaduct, although very few are that long.

The presence of the new Ironton-Russell bridge at the southern end of the viaduct is probably what prompted that big looping cut through the mountain on the west side of US 23. Otherwise, they'd probably replace in place.

seicer

Of interest while doing research on the Ashland-Coal Grove Bridge over the Ohio River, the 1931 bridge program that saw the completion of major toll bridges at Boonesboro, Burnside, Canton, Eggner's Ferry, Henderson, Maysville, Paducah, Smithland, Spottsville, and Tyrone:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798721/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-12/ (1/2)
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798576/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-1931/ (2/2)

ibthebigd

I wish Kentucky would have dedicated web pages to major projects like INDOT does

I was trying to find information on the new 127 route from Jamestown to Ky 90 and it's hard to find ant information on a $120 Million dollar project.

SM-G950U

edwaleni

Quote from: seicer on April 01, 2020, 01:40:13 PM
Of interest while doing research on the Ashland-Coal Grove Bridge over the Ohio River, the 1931 bridge program that saw the completion of major toll bridges at Boonesboro, Burnside, Canton, Eggner's Ferry, Henderson, Maysville, Paducah, Smithland, Spottsville, and Tyrone:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798721/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-12/ (1/2)
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798576/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-1931/ (2/2)

Interesting historical references.

Also interesting how they financed large scale bridge building at the time. This was before there was significant federal reimbursement programs for infrastructure.

Curious to know if it was cheaper to build so many at the same time under the same contract, than today, where each bridge has a contract of its own.

roadwaywiz95

With this weekend being a Cincinnati-themed one in the Road Meet department, we'll have a special Cincinnati-themed live event for folks to enjoy this Saturday (5/30) starting at 3 PM ET. It'll feature contributions from members across the road enthusiast community, including members of this forum, and we hope you can join us for what's sure to be an awesome event!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

amroad17

Here in Northern Kentucky, a new interchange on I-275 near Hebron, KY is almost complete.  I just drove through the area this morning after work.

The interchange is for Graves Road, which is around 1 mile west of the current KY 237/Hebron interchange.  Graves Road was realigned about 300 yards west of where the road originally overpassed I-275.  This interchange was built to alleviate the traffic that currently uses KY 237 to get to the Wayfair, UPS, and Amazon Distribution Centers located just north of I-275 along Worldwide Blvd.

Leaving work, I headed west along Worldwide Blvd to where it intersects Graves Road.  I noticed that Graves Road will be designated KY 495 seeing the signage that was put up over the last two evenings.  This designation apparently will go from the Worldwide-Graves intersection to where Graves ends at KY 20 about two miles south.  I then decided to drive on I-275 West to check out the interchange.  The interchange is a diamond with LED lighting (unlike the sodium lighting elsewhere along I-275).  The WB off-ramp begins just east of where the old Graves overpass was.  Signage is up (somewhat covered in tarp) and noticed that this interchange will be EXIT 8.  That was surprising since the KY 237 interchange was EXIT 8 and I was thinking that the new interchange should be EXIT 9 or even 8C.

Then I turned around at the Petersburg (EXIT 11) interchange.  This also had an addition to the signage.  Quite a few years ago, the sign had TO KY 20 on it.  Then it was taken down leaving only Petersburg on the sign.  Now the addition is KY 3608 TO KY 20 on the top line.  Heading back east on I-275, advance signage was up for Graves Road.  The two mile advance sign for KY 237 was taken down.  After passing the new interchange, I saw that the KY 237 interchange has been renumbered to EXIT 6!  This must have been done overnight as this is the exit I take for work and the sign had EXIT 8A and EXIT 8B at 6 pm Thursday night.

So this is the third interchange number for KY 237.  At first, it was EXIT 7 (being at the 7 mile marker), but was changed to EXIT 8 due to an EXIT 7 on the I-74/275 concurrency in Ohio.  Now, with the new Graves Road interchange just past the 8 mile marker, this has obtained the EXIT 8 moniker and KY 237 has been changed to EXIT 6 since 7 cannot be used.  Wonder how much confusion can occur due to this?

Anyway, this interchange appears like it could open in maybe a week or so.  This should help alleviate traffic along KY 237 north of I-275 for those going to Wayfair, UPS, Amazon, or any of the smaller warehouses in that area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

They've been publicizing the exit number change the last couple of weeks.

And if I'm not mistaken, that Petersburg exit used to be signed for KY 8, which it was known and signed as for a few years. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos from that era.

seicer

Now that the project plans are online, I decided to look into this a little further. It appears that I-275's Petersburg interchange may have always been intended for KY 20:

"KY-20 (Grade, Drain, and Surface) 1969, 23 Sheets"
https://projectwise.transportation.ky.gov/ws/v2.5/Repositories/Bentley.PW--KTC1VP-APPW001.kytc.ds.ky.gov~3AKYTC-Main/PW_WSG/Document/6b7658cc-3092-466b-9e45-f0766c1da07e/$file?Application=Archives

"KY-20 (Grade, Drain, and Surface) 1976, 15 Sheets"
https://projectwise.transportation.ky.gov/ws/v2.5/Repositories/Bentley.PW--KTC1VP-APPW001.kytc.ds.ky.gov~3AKYTC-Main/PW_WSG/Document/9be837d4-7373-4bc3-9939-00a501a69edf/$file?Application=Archives

Over at Bullettsburg (north of I-275) along River Road is "KY-8 (Grade, Drain, and Surface) 1935, 2 Sheets"
https://projectwise.transportation.ky.gov/ws/v2.5/Repositories/Bentley.PW--KTC1VP-APPW001.kytc.ds.ky.gov~3AKYTC-Main/PW_WSG/Document/20da7a86-6d46-49c8-8a71-a34e3f38f375/$file?Application=Archives

I never realized that KY 8's designation went that far back along River Road.

amroad17

I had not been on many media sites for the last couple of weeks--busy with the job.

The new interchange did open last Friday (11/13).  It is a DDI.  Graves is open from I-275 north to Worldwide Blvd.  South of I-275, there is much work left to do.  KYTC probably completed the north section first because of all the distribution centers that I mentioned before.

I believe that, in the 1970's, KY 8 was supposed to be extended west to connect to the road (current KY 3608) that is at the Petersburg interchange.  However, I also believe that whomever owns the property where River Road becomes private did not want to sell the land needed to complete KY 8 to Bullittsville.

I moved to Northern Kentucky in 1994.  The interchange then was signed as TO KY 20 but the surface road was signed as KY 8 until 2005ish when the TO KY 20 was taken off the interchange signage.  I am not sure if KY 8 was ever on the signage as the post interchange mileage sign after the Lawrenceburg interchange for I-275 South (East) has had "Kentucky S.R. 20         3" on it since I moved here.  This seems to follow what seicer has posted.  The question then would be what would the current routing of KY 20 to Petersburg be renumbered as if KY 20 was re-routed to I-275?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

plain

A while back I saw images of two of the former toll plazas on the Mountain Pkwy (Gullett and Campton). A few minutes ago I noticed Historic Aerials updated its satellite imagery at Slade to include 1984. While the Slade interchange/plaza was laid out in typical KY cloverleaf fashion, the crossing road actually appears to run under the parkway (like it does today) instead of over it, with the toll plaza over the parkway. Does anyone have any insight on this? It's probably unrealistic at this point to ask for a picture :-D
Newark born, Richmond bred

hbelkins

Quote from: plain on December 28, 2020, 04:52:50 PM
A while back I saw images of two of the former toll plazas on the Mountain Pkwy (Gullett and Campton). A few minutes ago I noticed Historic Aerials updated its satellite imagery at Slade to include 1984. While the Slade interchange/plaza was laid out in typical KY cloverleaf fashion, the crossing road actually appears to run under the parkway (like it does today) instead of over it, with the toll plaza over the parkway. Does anyone have any insight on this? It's probably unrealistic at this point to ask for a picture :-D

You are correct. Employees parked beneath the bridge and climbed steps to the toll plaza. Newspaper carriers on their way from Lexington left stacks of papers under the bridge, where they would stay dry in wet weather, for the carriers in Lee and Owsley counties to pick up. I don't have any pictures despite having traveled this route hundreds of times. (The toll plaza is only about 20 miles from where I live.)

plain

Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2020, 12:12:12 PM

You are correct. Employees parked beneath the bridge and climbed steps to the toll plaza. Newspaper carriers on their way from Lexington left stacks of papers under the bridge, where they would stay dry in wet weather, for the carriers in Lee and Owsley counties to pick up. I don't have any pictures despite having traveled this route hundreds of times. (The toll plaza is only about 20 miles from where I live.)

Thanks. That has to have been one hell of a design! Probably better than the mess that was Exit 10 on the Bluegrass Pkwy
Newark born, Richmond bred

hbelkins

Quote from: plain on December 29, 2020, 06:31:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 29, 2020, 12:12:12 PM

Thanks. That has to have been one hell of a design! Probably better than the mess that was Exit 10 on the Bluegrass Pkwy

Yes, it was the standard toll booth cloverleaf with the structures on the bridge.

Kentucky debated on what to call the Mountain Parkway after the tolls came off and it went into the regular state system. KY 114 and KY 402 were both considered and used, until the 9000-series came into being for the unsigned designations for the former toll roads. When that interchange was reconstructed in the late 1980s, KY 402 signs were briefly installed, no doubt by contractors. Wish I had gotten photos. However, I didn't, and eventually the signs were changed out to the old green and white Mountain Parkway signs with the Bert T. Combs banner.

Harvestman

I don't recall where exactly on US 641 this was, but it was clearly graded for a divided highway, which didn't end up happening.  Anyone happen to know where this is or whether it's going to be changed in the future or not?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.