News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Another Caravan approaching the Border:

Started by ghYHZ, June 30, 2019, 06:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

This time it's Americans coming to Canada to buy Insulin just so they can live. A vial is $30 in Canada. Same thing in the US is $340.00!

Caravan left from Minneapolis and stopped in Madison, Chicago and Lansing along the way to London, ON.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/london-ontario-insulin-caravan-banting-1.5190935

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Max Rockatansky

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2019, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 01, 2019, 03:42:55 PM
Are they in an actual Dodge Caravan?

Covered wagons.

Would be even better if it was Dodge Caravans hauling a Caravan of Covered Wagons over a Covered Bridge. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 01, 2019, 04:43:36 PM
Covered wagons.
Would be even better if it was Dodge Caravans hauling a Caravan of Covered Wagons over a Covered Bridge.
This.

noelbotevera

Covered wagons.

But, would they pay the toll for the ferry or caulk the Dodge Caravans fording the next river?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 01, 2019, 07:27:44 PM

Covered wagons.

But, would they pay the toll for the ferry or caulk the Dodge Caravans fording the next river?

I would imagine everyone would have died of dysentery and snake bites long before that was a problem. 

noelbotevera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 01, 2019, 07:28:57 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 01, 2019, 07:27:44 PM

Covered wagons.

I would imagine everyone would have died of dysentery and snake bites long before that was a problem.
Ahh, balderdash! Just rest for three days and they're good to go! *ding! sound effect*

Duke87

What I wonder is what USCBP will think of them bringing that insulin back with them.

Since it is a prescription drug in the US, US laws and regulations regarding prescription drugs apply to it the instant it crosses the border. This means anyone bringing it back into the US will need to have a prescription for it (the people doing this likely all already do, but should bring and be prepared to present documentation of such since it won't be on the bottles), and cannot be carrying more than a 90 day supply.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on July 01, 2019, 08:33:57 PM
What I wonder is what USCBP will think of them bringing that insulin back with them.

Since it is a prescription drug in the US, US laws and regulations regarding prescription drugs apply to it the instant it crosses the border. This means anyone bringing it back into the US will need to have a prescription for it (the people doing this likely all already do, but should bring and be prepared to present documentation of such since it won't be on the bottles), and cannot be carrying more than a 90 day supply.

Many forms of insulin, including the two I use, normally do not require a prescription. Indeed, I've been able to get over-the-counter refills at Wal-Mart pharmacies on long trips when my supply runs low. I have to use the generic stocked by Wal-Mart, but I've already used that generic at some point with no problems. This might not apply to at least some of the caravan participants.

I haven't done such over-the-counter purchases lately, and the refills through my health plan's pharmacy are subsidized by the plan (a generous Federal employee plan I was able to continue after retirement). So I haven't been exposed to the price hikes reported by the people in the caravans. My plan's doctor has been keen to have me use less insulin and more generic blood sugar-reduction pills, which might be an economy move but also has worked out well for me clinically.

As for customs, even when I've been hassled over my medications (they want me to bring my pills in their original containers, which for prescription meds will include prescription info), they're never messed with my insulin vials.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on July 01, 2019, 08:33:57 PM

The article I had read about the caravan, before I saw this forum topic, stated that the people were carrying prescriptions just in case they needed them.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.