News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dedicated freeway truck routes

Started by jpm, April 18, 2019, 04:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: ClaytonCarte on April 28, 2019, 02:35:39 PM
Georgia has plans to build truck only lanes along I-75 between Macon and south metro Atlanta. The $1.8 billion dollar project is in preliminary engineering to build two barrier separated lanes in the northbound direction only for 38 miles.

"Constructing two northbound barrier-separated lanes for commercial vehicles on Interstate 75 between McDonough and Macon."

How does that help southbound traffic?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 28, 2019, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: ClaytonCarte on April 28, 2019, 02:35:39 PM
Georgia has plans to build truck only lanes along I-75 between Macon and south metro Atlanta. The $1.8 billion dollar project is in preliminary engineering to build two barrier separated lanes in the northbound direction only for 38 miles.

"Constructing two northbound barrier-separated lanes for commercial vehicles on Interstate 75 between McDonough and Macon."

How does that help southbound traffic?
Likely a phased project until funding can be acquired for southbound.

The I-95 Fredericksburg Rappahannock River Crossing Project was only southbound originally, until a deal with Transurban provided funding for the northbound one. They got lucky with that, but initially the plan was only going to have the southbound crossing until funding for the northbound from traditional sources could be found.

Flint1979

I've been on I-95 in Fredericksburg, Virginia; that stretch needs major help.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 28, 2019, 08:28:00 PM
It's current getting 3 new local lanes (barrier separated from the existing 3 thru lanes) added in each direction between VA-3 and US-17. Construction has been well underway, and should be completed by 2023.

Bickendan

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 28, 2019, 12:17:10 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 18, 2019, 12:46:13 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2019, 11:08:50 AM
Doesn't the northern I-15/I-215 junction in San Bernardino also have truck-only ramps?

They're labeled as TRUCK BYPASS with no signage compelling trucks to use it and nothing preventing cars from using the truck bypass

I don't think any California truck bypass says "no cars," they're just discouraged.

There's another truck bypass on I-215, on SB I-215/EB CA 60 at the Moreno Valley interchange where the highways split.
Looking at that one, if it weren't also acting as the collector ramp from Sycamore Canyon Blvd and Box Springs Rd, I'd've guessed that the 215 didn't need that truck ramp (while the 60's certainly could be justified).

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 28, 2019, 08:48:39 PM
It's current getting 3 new local lanes (barrier separated from the existing 3 thru lanes) added in each direction between VA-3 and US-17. Construction has been well underway, and should be completed by 2023.
Wow that'll be crazy but a lot of capacity which is needed in that area. So they are just doing this right outside of Fredericksburg? I forget how many lanes there is north of Fredericksburg going towards D.C.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 29, 2019, 07:14:02 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 28, 2019, 08:48:39 PM
Wow that'll be crazy but a lot of capacity which is needed in that area. So they are just doing this right outside of Fredericksburg? I forget how many lanes there is north of Fredericksburg going towards D.C.
I-95 is six-lanes between I-295 in Richmond and US-1 near Woodbridge (about 10 miles south of the Capital Beltway (I-495)), then eight-lanes to I-495. There's also two reversible HO/T lanes between Stafford and the beltway (and eventually will go into Downtown DC starting this fall), and is going to be extended down to Fredericksburg by 2023.

The project I mentioned would bring I-95 up to twelve-lanes for about 5 miles.

Here's the two projects, now being constructed at the same time and will operate as one facility when completed -
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/fredericksburg/i-95_northbound_rappahannock_river_crossing.asp
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/fredericksburg/i-95_southbound_rappahannock_river_crossing.asp

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Bickendan on April 29, 2019, 12:27:46 AM
Doesn't the northern I-15/I-215 junction in San Bernardino also have truck-only ramps?

They're labeled as TRUCK BYPASS with no signage compelling trucks to use it and nothing preventing cars from using the truck bypass

I don't think any California truck bypass says "no cars," they're just discouraged.

There's another truck bypass on I-215, on SB I-215/EB CA 60 at the Moreno Valley interchange where the highways split.
Looking at that one, if it weren't also acting as the collector ramp from Sycamore Canyon Blvd and Box Springs Rd, I'd've guessed that the 215 didn't need that truck ramp (while the 60's certainly could be justified).

I'm not sure I understand. I-215 and CA 60 share the roadbed up to the split. Having driven it quite a bit, what would happen is that southbound passenger traffic jockeying for what would become I-215's fast lane (the two rightmost lanes exiting) would run into trucks in those lanes. Caltrans' original solution was to designate a truck lane, but this didn't really eliminate any contention, so they have the bypass which moves truck traffic off before the original I-215 split and the trucks have their own separation.

skluth

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 30, 2019, 01:01:24 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on April 29, 2019, 12:27:46 AM

I'm not sure I understand. I-215 and CA 60 share the roadbed up to the split. Having driven it quite a bit, what would happen is that southbound passenger traffic jockeying for what would become I-215's fast lane (the two rightmost lanes exiting) would run into trucks in those lanes. Caltrans' original solution was to designate a truck lane, but this didn't really eliminate any contention, so they have the bypass which moves truck traffic off before the original I-215 split and the trucks have their own separation.

The bypass also allows CA 60 eastbound truck traffic to exit from the right rather than crossing the I-215 car lanes

MCRoads

OK, I know I am WAY late with this comment, but the GPS told us to use the truck only lane in ridgeway. So we did. Didn't realize till now that was truck only!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

DJ Particle

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 20, 2019, 08:55:33 AM
Perhaps trucks below the 7,000-pound GVW limit are less likely to run into trouble but still sometimes do? Or perhaps the dedicated truck road was built later because of repeated problems and they didn't remove the provisions they'd already made?

Judging by that particular ramp's state of disrepair, I'd say the latter.

thspfc

Quote from: MCRoads on May 01, 2019, 11:29:59 AM
OK, I know I am WAY late with this comment, but the GPS told us to use the truck only lane in ridgeway. So we did. Didn't realize till now that was truck only!
Were you going from PA-120 to US-219 or vice versa, or did you go through Ridgway after using the truck road? If the former, the truck bypass is probably a lot faster than going though town.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 18, 2019, 09:42:47 AM
Quote from: dfilpus on April 18, 2019, 09:21:27 AM
There is the non-freeway trucks only US 209 Truck Route in Ridgway PA. https://goo.gl/maps/knsdX84NKhKFSVfx8

I like how a GSV car has indeed gone down the "trucks only" route.
Its kinda common in the Newhall Pass truck route lol
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

djsekani

The truck bypasses are the only way to access some of the exits at many interchanges. For example, Kenwood Drive at I-15/I-215, and Lake Forest Parkway at I-5/I-405.

mrsman

The idea behind most of the CA truck bypasses, as others may have mentioned, is that in a complicated interchange where multiple right lanes are exiting, they would prefer for trucks not to be merging to the left at the same time to stay on the roadway to the left.  If there is a ramp from the right that will allow for some slower traffic to avoid all of these lane changes, it is safer for everyone.  Trucks are required to use it so that they don't camp out in the left lanes unnecessarily.  Other traffic may use it, particularly those who may have just entered the freeway.

Here is an illustration.  Imagine a freeway with 6 lanes in one direction.  (In CA this is actually pretty common, especially at these major splits.)  A split is coming up that would normally provide for the left 3 lanes to go to Hwy A and the right 3 lanes to go to Hwy B.  To prevent all the trucks (as well as other slow traffic and traffic that may have just entered the 6 lane behemoth from the right) that want Hwy A to start making 3 lane changes in a short distance, a bypass to the right is created. 

With the bypass in place, the split is generally re-signed as 2 left lanes to Hwy A, the next 3 lanes to Hwy B, and the right lane as the bypass to Hwy A for trucks and others who can't merge left in time safely.  Trucks are encouraged to use the #5 lane (from the left) to access Hwy B and the #6 lane (i.e. the bypass) for Hwy A.  This is a great device and it is a shame that it isn't used at more interchanges.

This is analogous to HOV ramps that may tend to do the same thing, to prevent traffic that is exiting the HOV lane from making multiple lane changes, a fly-over is created to bring HOV traffic to the road that goes to the right.  An example of this (for HOVs not trucks) is where I-270 SB splits in Rockville, MD between 270 towards Silver Spring and the 270 spur towards Northern Virginia. 

(ETA:  In the reverse direction [where the 2 split highway merge together], assume Hwy A merges in on the left and Hwy B merges in on the right.  If you are on Hwy A and want to exit at the first exit downstream from the merge, you will have to merge 3 lanes across all of Hwy B traffic.  The truck bypass will be useful in this direction as well, since it will deposit the right lane of Hwy A to the right of all of the traffic of Hwy B.  Useful for cars as well as trucks and any slow moving vehicles.

IMO, for those unfamiliar with the concept, the best ones to view by looking at GSV and satellite imagery are at the 5/405 merge in the northern San Fernando Valley.  The truck bypass is implemented very well there.)

bing101

CA-99 @I-5 interchange in Kern County has a section for truck bypass for the southbound lanes for I-5.

bing101

I-80 @ CA-12 in Fairfield,CA has special lanes for trucks due to the Truck Scales/inspection areas there are truck ramps for eastbound CA-12 and I-80.

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Bickendan

Oregon has one on I-5 north at OR 99W, keeping trucks from moving (at the time) 3 lanes to the right as I-5 started climbing Capitol Hill. Now it's a two lane maneuver.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on June 08, 2019, 03:58:35 PM
Oregon has one on I-5 north at OR 99W, keeping trucks from moving (at the time) 3 lanes to the right as I-5 started climbing Capitol Hill. Now it's a two lane maneuver.

Quote from: Bickendan on April 18, 2019, 06:45:53 AM
Two in Portland: I-5 north at OR 99W (exit 294)
US 26 west at Sylvan/Canyon Rd (OR 8) (exit 71)

Don't forget the I-5 south and CA 99 south truck ramps at the interchange north of Wheeler Ridge.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.