News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Map Errors (Paper and Virtual alike)

Started by City, August 09, 2009, 05:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

I noticed in the 2009 RM that the Fond du Lac WI bypass was never drawn, even though through this year the part east of US 41 was completed (for a few years)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

I just got the new Colorado DOT map, and the NW Pkwy is for some reason now listed as part of 470, which it never has been in previous editions

Chris

US 27 never goes north of Fort Wayne (it ends at Indiana Route 3 and I-69)

Rand McNally 2010 Large Scale Atlas

algorerhythms

I was looking at Google Maps at the site of the future I-68/Mon-Fayette Expressway interchange, and noticed this little gem (in case anyone isn't familiar with it, US 48 is the former designation of I-68, which was changed in 1991. The northbound road on the map is CR 857, which runs parallel to the Mon-Fayette Expressway):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.670744,-79.849255&spn=0.011248,0.019269&z=16

agentsteel53

the last time I was there (2006), I saw the END 27 shield posted on Coldwater Road (which is now Indiana state highway 327) at exit 112 as seen on the map ... and then, past it but visible from the spot of the END shield ... a 27 reassurance marker!  :pan:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

US 27 was truncated in 2001 according to wikipedia, so there might be some old signs around. It used to run all the way up north in Michigan.

njroadhorse

QuoteUS 27 was truncated in 2001 according to wikipedia, so there might be some old signs around. It used to run all the way up north in Michigan.
It still should, IMO.  How US 127 got priority in Michigan over US 27 is beyond me. :hmmm:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

SSOWorld

I just so happen to notice in the 2009 RM Road Atlas the phantom Nashua, NH bypass is not under construction anymore - it's not shown at all. :crazy:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

njroadhorse

QuoteI just so happen to notice in the 2009 RM Road Atlas the phantom Nashua, NH bypass is not under construction anymore - it's not shown at all.
Was it ever under construction in the first place?  What was the deal with that?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

SSOWorld

probably RcM making a name for themselves.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on September 13, 2009, 09:50:25 AM
US 27 never goes north of Fort Wayne (it ends at Indiana Route 3 and I-69)

Rand McNally 2010 Large Scale Atlas

At least they're consistent, the regular 2010 atlas has the same error.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Stephane Dumas

Google maps don't show in Quebec, the bypass of Danville PQ-255, St-Felicien (PQ-169) and the A-50 extensions from Lachute to Greenville and from Masson to Thurso.

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on September 13, 2009, 02:21:42 PM
QuoteI just so happen to notice in the 2009 RM Road Atlas the phantom Nashua, NH bypass is not under construction anymore - it's not shown at all.
Was it ever under construction in the first place?  What was the deal with that?
It's like the U.C. roads shown in atlases in the 1960's and 1970's.  It was close enough to going through that they assumed it would.  Then the economy dictated that non-essential road projects get dropped, and there was never enough need for this road in the first place.  Probably never coming back, either.

mefailenglish

Quote from: mightyace on September 13, 2009, 03:18:26 PM
At least they're consistent, the regular 2010 atlas has the same error.
It's in the '08 edition as well.

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2009, 11:52:30 AM
the last time I was there (2006), I saw the END 27 shield posted on Coldwater Road (which is now Indiana state highway 327) at exit 112 as seen on the map ... and then, past it but visible from the spot of the END shield ... a 27 reassurance marker!  :pan:

SR 327 doesn't even begin until you get to the intersection with SR 205 just south of Garrett. The portion from there south to I-69 has been under local jurisdiction for quite sometime.

DBrim

agentsteel53

Quote from: DBrim on September 14, 2009, 12:10:27 PM
Pick the real 97!

lemme guess, the one that is labeled both 97 and 97A.  I forget which side of the river 97 is on.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

algorerhythms

SSOWorld

Google does that all the time.  hence their issue.  This one seems more obvious - but pick the real US 51 http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.934547,-89.616508&spn=0.07826,0.154324&z=13
Scott O.

Raise your what?

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

It's definitely eating away at your battery  :-D
Scott O.

Raise your what?

WillWeaverRVA

At work, there is a 1982 map of Richmond that DPW made; it's substantially lower in quality than the VDOT map of the time. The DPW map was hand-drawn (compared to VDOT maps, which haven't been for decades), and had a lot of incorrect route shields (US 95, US 195, US 64, US 33 where VA 33 is, and US 150). If I didn't work in a hospital, I'd take my camera and take pictures.

Most notably, though, the map does show VA 418 on Monument Avenue, and 1982 was the first year of VA 418 being on it. The map does not show VA 416 or VA 417, which also existed at the time.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

algorerhythms

QuoteGoogle does that all the time.  hence their issue.  This one seems more obvious - but pick the real US 51
The part I left out of my post is that neither of them are 77H (and the US 77 shown there isn't US 77). The western "77H" was decommissioned years ago, and relatively recently the eastern "77H" became US 77.

Tom

There's a Clare County (Mich.) road map from the 1990's that still shows old M-61 designated as M-61 along with the current M-61. :coffee:

deathtopumpkins

I just fired up Google Earth only to notice that there is no longer any mention of I-264 on the Virginia Beach-Norfolk Expy (which is shown as the "Norfolk Virginia Beach Expressway") east of I-64, but rather that it has reverted back to VA-44.

EDIT: And SR-615 is back as well... Oceana Blvd. is labeled "State Route 615" with no mention of Oceana Blvd.

EDIT2: And several other secondary routes in Virginia Beach, such as 632 on Great Neck Rd.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.