News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 31, 2024, 04:24:12 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2024, 04:03:10 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 31, 2024, 03:38:27 PM
numbering order is pointless

I agree with that statement in general.  Everywhere.

Numbering perfectionism has driven me into league with numbering chaos.  Chaos is infinitely more fun/interesting than order.

Order is fine when order is helpful.

Order isn't helpful when it comes to highway numbering. So I am 100% Team Chaos.

kphoger

I think 99% of the routes in Texas are either diagonals or zig-zags, and numbering order is pointless.

So, in what scenario is numbering order not pointless?  Without diagonals or zig-zags, you already know which direction is which.

My point with the images is that it's the Cardinal Direction auxiliary signs that actually matter.

And, if you need to know if the road goes to Hooterville or wherever, then just read the Destination Sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 31, 2024, 04:24:12 PM

Numbering perfectionism has driven me into league with numbering chaos.  Chaos is infinitely more fun/interesting than order.

I don't know about "fun/interesting," but a logical visual order (routes to the left, then straight, then to the right) is what's helpful.

As opposed to something like this mess:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Years, street addresses, page numbers, mileposts, days of the month, building stories . . .
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 01, 2024, 11:16:28 AM

Years, street addresses, page numbers, mileposts, days of the month, building stories . . .

I'll die on that hill that Postmiles are superior to Mile Markers. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2024, 11:24:52 AM

Oh. What is a postmile?

kphoger

Oh.  Ha!  Yeah, route numbers everywhere.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Years . . . hmm, yeah, that would be bad to have out of order.  Also, there really needs to be a year zero.

Street addresses . . . someone needs to tell Arkansas.  Seriously, please do.

Mileposts . . . are there any routes where exit numbers don't line up with mile markers?

Days of the month . . . oh my, that would be awful!

Building stories . . . actually, it might be fun to designate them with some other system.  105 W Indiana Ave, Giraffe Fl., Apt. 6 or something.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 01, 2024, 11:48:08 AM
Mileposts . . . are there any routes where exit numbers don't line up with mile markers?

In the US? One example is I-19.

Around the world? Most places...

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 01, 2024, 11:54:32 AM

So the question is . . . does it matter?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

And don't forget that most of the US Northeast (sadly including NY) still has sequential exit numbers which don't line up with the mile markers except by coincidence.

vdeane

Years . . . hmm, yeah, that would be bad to have out of order.  Also, there really needs to be a year zero.
That would be nice.  Also, then we'd be able to use negative years and put the BC/AD vs. BCE/CE fight to rest for good.

Google Street View is showing that I-19 has KM markers, so the posted distance markers and the exit numbers still match.  Unlike DE 1, which has mile markers despite (most... not all) of the exit numbers being in KM (what a mess).

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

And don't forget that most of the US Northeast (sadly including NY) still has sequential exit numbers which don't line up with the mile markers except by coincidence.
As does much (most?) of Europe.  And two Canadian provinces.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2024, 12:43:20 PM

Google Street View is showing that I-19 has KM markers, so the posted distance markers and the exit numbers still match.  Unlike DE 1, which has mile markers despite (most... not all) of the exit numbers being in KM (what a mess).

It does have km markers. But the exits don't match any mile markers either.  :bigass:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 01, 2024, 11:48:08 AMMileposts . . . are there any routes where exit numbers don't line up with mile markers?

In addition to I-19 (which does have mileposts, rotated 90° away from traffic, but whose exit numbers are coordinated with kilometerposts that are visible to traffic) and the remaining Eastern routes that still use sequential exit numbering, there are freeways in Texas (like US 75) whose exit numbers are not coordinated with the statewide location reference system.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 01, 2024, 01:35:05 PM
Texas ... location reference system

Yeah . . . I don't really consider those to be mile markers.  Unless you're on an arrow-straight highway heading due north/south/east/west, they aren't a mile apart.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2024, 12:08:27 PM

Depends on how you define "most" of the Northeast given conversions.  Even VT has them "bannered."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 01, 2024, 11:33:06 AM

Oh. What is a postmile?

Those are the miles that are behind you.

SEWIGuy

kkt

Street addresses . . . someone needs to tell Arkansas.  Seriously, please do.

Days of the month . . . oh my, that would be awful!

Building stories . . . actually, it might be fun to designate them with some other system.  105 W Indiana Ave, Giraffe Fl., Apt. 6 or something.

Why do you think we need a year zero?  How often do you calculate years between a BC date and an AD date?

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on February 01, 2024, 03:56:29 PM
Why do you think we need a year zero?  How often do you calculate years between a BC date and an AD date?

Occasionally when researching the Roman Empire.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 01, 2024, 05:22:25 PM
So we move all of BC back a year?

Or move all AD forward a year.  I don't care either way.  Might make research even more difficult, though...
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 01, 2024, 11:33:06 AM

Oh. What is a postmile?

West Coast Things which serve to confuse the rest of us

(Hey, as long as my post is taken out context.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.