Bridges replaced directly next to the old one

Started by fillup420, September 29, 2019, 08:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: stevashe on October 27, 2019, 09:38:21 PM
New I-5 bridges in Tacoma over the Puyallup River, which actually straightens the freeway a bit by moving the bridge. Shown here is construction of the northbound bridge which is now complete. Currently both directions of mainline traffic are routed on the new northbound bridge while the old northbound bridge is demolished and the new southbound bridge is being built. Currently the old southbound bridge is also being used for traffic headed to the exit just on the other side of the river (Exit 135 to SR167 and Portland Ave), shown near the top of this photo.

Totally forgot about this one!

Here's a diagram showing the current traffic movements. You can stay on I-5 using the old bridge, though it's signed as an "exit only" (it's really just a C/D lane).

sparker

Back in 1988-89 the I-5 dual (2+2) truss bridges over Cottonwood Creek and the UP RR tracks at Cottonwood, CA (between Red Bluff and Redding), which were separated by about 80 feet, were replaced by a single bridge, also 2+2, but with a K-rail down the middle.  This new structure was located in the former median between the two original bridges.  The rationale behind the replacement -- although the original bridges were only 24 years old at the time -- was that the combination of winter rains and extreme summer heat in the area had created fissures in the concrete around the bolts holding the structure to its anchorages, and at least one of the bridges had started to laterally shift as a result.  Those original bridges were notable as the only through truss bridges on I-5 in CA; the only other similar structure on that route, the deck truss (actual pavement running along the truss top) over the Sacramento River arm of Lake Shasta, was itself replaced a year or so ago. 

Flint1979

The two Zilwaukee Bridge's in Michigan. The new one is famous due to a construction accident while it was being built. I pretty much watched that bridge get built as I lived about a mile from it growing up.

Beltway

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge on I-95/I-495 Capital Beltway.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheGrassGuy

This definitely isn't as extreme as the other examples, but the EB-NB ramp at the I-78/287 interchange in Bedminster was subject to this. They also changed the shape of a ramp to a sort of cloverleaf.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ilpt4u

ISTHA is doing this right now, replacing the Mile Long Bridge with a brand new, adjacent bridge, as part of the Central Tri-State Reconstruction and Widening Project on I-294:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGiMa-WsEpI

IDOT District 9 did this recently, on a much smaller scale, moving the Approach roadway and building a new bridge, just west of the old one, over Beaucoup Creek just north of Murphysboro, IL on IL 13/127. Some of the old Approach Roadway pavement was left in place, but the old bridge was demolished:
https://goo.gl/maps/CgZUF3SX4Z49S2Q18

US 89

Old and new crossings of the White River on SR 45 near Bonanza, Utah:

Tom958

2014 AASHTO beam bridge built just outboard of a 1937 open-spandrel arch bridge. There's a third plate girder bridge, too, from when the new eastbound roadway was added in 1974.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8810939,-83.5925065,3a,48y,57.63h,70.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM-FpjbSiPrCkoVcdaQLfYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Stephane Dumas

The Daniel Boone bridge on the Missouri river. The original 1935 span got a twin bridge in 1989 build to the west and a newer span in 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone_Bridge

webny99

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on September 29, 2019, 08:28:32 AM
Well, there's the Tappan Zee outside New York City

Yes, that's certainly one of the more prominent ones of this century, maybe even ever.

catch22

zzcarp

I remember this beautiful rainbow arch bridge built ca. 1923 on Oberlin-Elyria Road (former US 20) in Elyria, Ohio. Sometime in the 1960's they constructed a parallel 2-lane span for eastbound traffic, leaving the old arch in service for westbound traffic. After US 20 was moved to the bypass in 1988, ODOT replaced the newer 2-lane span with the current 4-lane span and took the rainbow arch out of service prior to relinquishing the old highway to Lorain County.
So many miles and so many roads

Big John

WI 54 / Mason St on Green Bay: narrow and low truss bridge was replaced with a new bridge in 1973. They closed the south sidewalk of the old bridge to fit the new bridge in.

catch22

Quote from: zzcarp on June 14, 2020, 09:50:21 PM
I remember this beautiful rainbow arch bridge built ca. 1923 on Oberlin-Elyria Road (former US 20) in Elyria, Ohio. Sometime in the 1960's they constructed a parallel 2-lane span for eastbound traffic, leaving the old arch in service for westbound traffic. After US 20 was moved to the bypass in 1988, ODOT replaced the newer 2-lane span with the current 4-lane span and took the rainbow arch out of service prior to relinquishing the old highway to Lorain County.

There's a similar bridge, also out of service, parallel to I-75 just north of Eagleville Road (Exit 168).  I'm guessing this was the original US-25 routing before the freeway was built:

https://goo.gl/maps/f2YyJjm96TZkv1iR6

ozarkman417

This will soon be the case with AR 7 over the Buffalo National River, provided the plan is still to keep the bridge as a pedestrian crossing. Camera is aimed at the position of what would now be a pillar that was somewhat recently placed.

D-Dey65

I've mentioned NY 25-25A over the Nissequogue River in the past.

Of course in Florida there's US 90 over the Suwannee River. Northeast of there, US 129 has two former crossings nearby... okay, one of those was demolished, but the road that lead to the old crossing is still there.

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

GaryV

Camel-back bridge near Nunica MI that is right next to I-96: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0745769,-86.0521176,3a,75y,255.98h,94.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shqCj-ViUI8VgsUrJNU9-kA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I'd guess this used to be US-16 (and maybe M-16 before that).

As kids we liked seeing this bridge because it meant we were nearing the beach in Grand Haven.

M3100

In the Long Beach, CA harbor area, Ocean Blvd. crosses the Cerritos Channel on the Gerald Desmond bridge, to connect Terminal Island to Long Beach.  This section of road is not currently signed though in Wikipedia it is shown as a section of I-710.  The new Gerald Desmond bridge may carry the I-710 designation; I'm not sure.  It is scheduled to open within a year.   These pics show:
(1) The new and old bridges (facing east), and

(2) The construction bypass on the east side of the Cerritos Channel where the new bridge will have an elevated connector to the I-710.
Note the blocked westbound lanes have a sign directing travelers to CA-47 [just below the traffic light near center of photo].

MCRoads

Here is my favorite example of this. The service road was US 66, and used the arch bridge. Then, the interstate got built, and, if you look at both the bridges, it looks like the interstate used to use the arch bridge, because the 2 highway bridges were not built at the same time, made obvious by the structural differences. The service road then used the arch bridge until it too was replaced, the bridge the service road is on being the newest. Maybe someone from the area will correct me, but I believe that is how that went.

So there you go, 4 different bridges, built right next to each other, all at different times.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

SteveG1988

Quote from: MCRoads on July 10, 2020, 02:04:57 AM
Here is my favorite example of this. The service road was US 66, and used the arch bridge. Then, the interstate got built, and, if you look at both the bridges, it looks like the interstate used to use the arch bridge, because the 2 highway bridges were not built at the same time, made obvious by the structural differences. The service road then used the arch bridge until it too was replaced, the bridge the service road is on being the newest. Maybe someone from the area will correct me, but I believe that is how that went.

So there you go, 4 different bridges, built right next to each other, all at different times.

The Truss (not arch) bridge carried traffic until 1997 when the new bridge to the north was built.

The Eastbound 40 bridge was replaced recently: https://www.abqjournal.com/31126/breaking-partial-collapse-reported-on-i-40-bridge-at-rio-puerco-exit.htm
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

M3100

This shows the original Greenspot Road bridge across the Santa Ana River in East Highlands, CA (San Bernardino County).  This is not a numbered highway; these pictures are from December 2011.  Since that time, the bridge was replaced by a modern concrete structure downriver.  That is the Seven Oaks Dam in the distance.

rte66man

My favorite is in Tulsa, OK:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1429036,-96.0080441,1277m/data=!3m1!1e3

The original 11th Street bridge carried US66 for many years.  The two I-244 bridges were added in the 70's. The 'new' 11th Street bridge was built in the 80's and the original was left as an architectural example.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1440903,-96.0032693,3a,75y,263h,84.31t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1swY97Pg-BHDHuKF5torpdfA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DwY97Pg-BHDHuKF5torpdfA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D161.06992%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

The westbound I-244 bridge was replaced a few years ago with a double deck, the roadway on the top with a lower deck for future passenger rail use.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mrsman

Is the original bridge used at all now?  It would seem perfect for bikes.

Nexus 5X

TheHighwayMan3561

The new MN 24 bridge over the Mississippi River between Clearwater and Clear Lake did this.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.