News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock on various subjects

Started by cpzilliacus, November 04, 2012, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Including automated speed limit enforcement and HOV lane enforcement.

Driver fears mobile speed cameras will surprise motorists, creating traffic hazard

QuoteMontgomery County's new refrigerator-size portable speed cameras have caused a predictable reaction. Now, if entering a surveilled 30-mph zone, some drivers slow down to 20 mph. When they drop speed abruptly, you can imagine the consequences.

QuoteThe lack of enforcement of HOV-2 regulations on Interstate 270 is creating a very dangerous situation. During the period when HOV is in effect, drivers cut in and out of the lanes to circumvent traffic and possible police enforcement.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Travel tips for your Thanksgiving getaway drives

QuoteA traveler planning a Thanksgiving drive to Chattanooga, Tenn., saw the online version of last year's guide and wrote beneath it: "Relatively new to D.C. and completely new to Turkey Day drives from D.C., and this article terrifies me."

QuoteDon't be scared. Your takeaway for the getaway should be more like: Driving right around the November-December holidays is a special challenge, but if you know what you're up against, and plan for it, you can get there – and back.

QuoteEach year, there's something different. This holiday season, some highway segments may be better in Northern Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

QuoteMuch advice is consistent: Alternative routes offer variety. They do not guarantee a quicker trip. Veteran travelers know there are no undiscovered shortcuts. Preparing yourself and your vehicle, and picking a good start time count for as much or more than picking a set of roads.

QuoteThanksgiving eve, from late morning till night, is the worst time to make a break, but the getaway on the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving is no stroll.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 04, 2012, 09:28:36 AM

Driver fears mobile speed cameras will surprise motorists, creating traffic hazard

QuoteMontgomery County's new refrigerator-size portable speed cameras have caused a predictable reaction. Now, if entering a surveilled 30-mph zone, some drivers slow down to 20 mph. When they drop speed abruptly, you can imagine the consequences.
Yeah people have no clue that you have to be going 12 over to trigger the camera.  They'll be going under the limit past the camera.  I'll be passing them if I can doing 5 over. 

But then there are times when people don't notice a camera and get tagged.

BrianP

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 16, 2014, 07:12:12 PM
Travel tips for your Thanksgiving getaway drives

QuoteThanksgiving eve, from late morning till night, is the worst time to make a break, but the getaway on the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving is no stroll.

My strategy is to travel on Thanksgiving morning.  I can get away with that since I only have a 3-4 hour drive. 

Alps

Quote from: BrianP on November 17, 2014, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 04, 2012, 09:28:36 AM

Yeah people have no clue that you have to be going 12 over to trigger the camera.  They'll be going under the limit past the camera.  I'll be passing them if I can doing 5 over. 

But then there are times when people don't notice a camera and get tagged.
It works great in Australia. The herd goes about 5-8 k over, then slows to 2 k under through the camera zone, then back up. Very smooth transitions, just go with the flow.

cpzilliacus

The Dr. Gridlock today touches on an assortment of topics, including the HOV/Toll lanes in Virginia and the extend-the-ICC op-ed from the other day.

Dr. Gridlock

QuoteRobert Thomson

QuoteWelcome, travelers, to our first chat of the new year. I'm going to start with several HOT lanes questions, because many drivers are having their first experiences with the latest version on I-95. But there already are questions and comments on many local travel topics.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.