WHo would I talk to about getting the DOT to change a sign policy?

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 21, 2009, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

In CT, there are several places where there is a two lane exit ramp and the inside lane is an optional lane, but the exit signs don't show it.  It leads to uneccessary lane changes by drivers.  The signs either show only one lane as an exit only or sign it as both lanes are exit only.

However, I want them to sign the optional lane exits as the "Exit 40" sign in the photo below.  If CTDOT can do it here why not elsewhere?
Suggestions?

Photo courtesy: NE Roads
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadfro

You might first see if CTDOT has a sign policy or sign design guide published, and figure out what that says in these situations.  It may be that they already have such a policy in place, but there are several older signs which predate the policy or otherwise fell through the cracks.

The optional lane should be indicated with a white on green arrow, whereas the exit only or dropped lane should be indicated with black on yellow.  This is how most DOTs do it (California's standards are slightly different).  I'm not sure if this specific situation is addressed in the MUTCD or not.

It may also be helpful to provide CTDOT with photos/videos of specific instances where the incorrect indication is used and evidence of driver confusion/lane changes is clear.  That may at least give them an incentive to examine particular signs and maybe even the policy itself.  Good luck!
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.