News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SLOW moving (Progress) Road Projects

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 24, 2009, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Any major (or not so major) road projects going on in your state where it seems to be moving at a snail's pace?

For example, In CT, the state wants to widen I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury, a distance of about 30 miles or so.  It took them 8 years to start the EIS.  They claim the DOT & contractor couldn't decide of limits of scope of the EIS.

Another example: In 2005 the state started work to rebuild, modernize and complete the interchange of the Merritt Pkwy & US-7.  It was all set construction started.  Then, environmentalists sued to stop it claiming it would ruin the charm of the Parkway.  It took three years both sides to compromise.  I believe the DOT won out for the most part, now construction won't start until 2011 because of a new Environmental Assessment and permits etc.  Originally it would've been complete by 2008!

Anything similiar where you are?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Ian

I was wondering about the US 7/Merritt Pkwy interchange and why it hasn't been worked on yet. Glad to hear that the interchange is being redone some time. That place is an accident waiting to happen.

Anyway, the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange is taking a long time. They have said that ground has been broken, but I have gone past the area numerous times since then and looks like nothing is being done. The only evidence of work is the eastbound Neshaminy Service plaza has been torn down for the future toll plaza on I-276. Anyone know any project news for it?

Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

There is the TN 840 southern beltway around Nashville.  According the AARoads Interstate Guide page at http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-840_tn.html, the first ideas were in 1975.  Planning began in 1988, the first construction was in 1991.

Here it is 2009 and just this year has construction begun on the final miles of the south loop!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

74/171FAN

Not in my state but I-485 in NC is still not complete   ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Let's see.... Exit #136 on I-79 in WV.  That interchange has been underconstuction for the last 4-5 years at least.....

Revive 755

Quote from: mightyace on July 24, 2009, 07:15:42 PM
There is the TN 840 southern beltway around Nashville.  According the AARoads Interstate Guide page at http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-840_tn.html, the first ideas were in 1975.  Planning began in 1988, the first construction was in 1991.

Here it is 2009 and just this year has construction begun on the final miles of the south loop!

Be glad it's actually under construction; the beltway for Lincoln, NE, was supposedly supposed to be done by 1989; might as well be declared dead today with only the west (US 77) leg partially built.

As for projects that seem to be moving slowly:

* Four laning US 36 in Missouri between US 63 and US 24 - seems to have been no progress on some sections.

* The US 40/US 61 interchange at Prospect Road near Wentzville, MO.

* Widening I-80 in Nebraska between Lincoln and Omaha - would have been too nice to have it phased better.  Currently the order of replacing bridges to accommodate the extra lanes seems fairly random, and it would have been nice to have some of the bridge replacements wait until closer to the actually widening starts, instead of having a long work zone that I believe is now supposed to last until 2013.

Chris

I-105 in Los Angeles took about 30 years to "complete" (I don't consider it complete until it reaches I-5).

A Long Island - Connecticut connection has been on the tables since the 1950's, but still hasn't been completed. If any place has enough population to support such a bridge or tunnel, it's Long Island. The Japanese already did it, twice

timhomer2009

U.S. 59 in Houston.  Need I say more.

Probably just getting ready for the eventual I-69 christening, though.

Duke87

Quote from: Chris on July 25, 2009, 04:04:31 AM
A Long Island - Connecticut connection has been on the tables since the 1950's, but still hasn't been completed. If any place has enough population to support such a bridge or tunnel, it's Long Island. The Japanese already did it, twice

Indeed, but that's Japan, where they still love doing that sort of thing. America is the capital of NIMBY, where most people don't.

Besides, here you're talking about crossing the world's second largest estuary, which an awful lot of people pay for vanity plates advertising their support to preserve. There's no way any such plan is ever going to get its EIS accepted.

It would be nice if I-287 could make a more complete loop down along NY 135, though. :-/
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Revive 755

Quote from: Duke87 on July 25, 2009, 09:20:14 PM
Besides, here you're talking about crossing the world's second largest estuary, which an awful lot of people pay for vanity plates advertising their support to preserve. There's no way any such plan is ever going to get its EIS accepted.

Ah, but a tunnel would help preserve the area by eliminating damage caused by the ferries that cross it - leaked oil and fuel, leaked bathroom contents, fish and plants chopped by propellers- yes I probably wrong on some or all of these  :sombrero:.

Michael

It's possible to have projects be "environmentally friendly" and "aesthetically pleasing".  Check out the Excellence in Highway Design awards from the FHWA.

froggie

QuoteBesides, here you're talking about crossing the world's second largest estuary, which an awful lot of people pay for vanity plates advertising their support to preserve. There's no way any such plan is ever going to get its EIS accepted.

It would be nice if I-287 could make a more complete loop down along NY 135, though.

Ah, yes...the infamous Oyster Bay-Rye crossing proposal.  While it could be argued that the other Long Island Sound crossing proposals failed due in no small part to economics (too high a cost and too low of toll revenue), the Oyster Bay-Rye crossing was defeated largely due to NIMBYism.

vdeane

The entire NY 17 to I-86 conversion is going slowly as well, as is the US 220/15 to I-99 conversion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Chris

Quote from: Duke87 on July 25, 2009, 09:20:14 PM

Long Island sound is like a hundred miles long. I'm sure there would be a place for one connection... Seriously, you guys are becoming the Netherlands where every inch of grass is suddenly a very sensitive and unique natural area once a road is planned  :banghead:

Revive 755

Quote from: Chris on July 26, 2009, 03:23:14 PM
Long Island sound is like a hundred miles long. I'm sure there would be a place for one connection... Seriously, you guys are becoming the Netherlands where every inch of grass is suddenly a very sensitive and unique natural area once a road is planned  :banghead:

The way it seems that almost any farm building can be historical is almost as bad - just look at some of the documents for the East Beltway for Lincoln, NE.  Seriously, you can't pave a gravel road that might be seeing more traffic due to sprawl because it would destroy the 'historic character' of the area?  :banghead:

BigMattFromTexas

Construction on Milbrook has taken about two months and all there doing is repaving it :ded:

Michael

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 26, 2009, 03:49:26 PM

The way it seems that almost any farm building can be historical is almost as bad - just look at some of the documents for the East Beltway for Lincoln, NE.  Seriously, you can't pave a gravel road that might be seeing more traffic due to sprawl because it would destroy the 'historic character' of the area?  :banghead:

US 15 in between Fredrick, MD and Warrenton, VA should be a four lane arterial, but it can only have turn lanes added because it's a "historic road".  I've only traveled from Fredrick to Warrenton on that portion of US 15, but I can definitely say at least that section needs to be upgraded!  I wouldn't be surprised if it could be upgraded further south!

mightyace

Quote from: Michael on July 27, 2009, 05:19:20 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 26, 2009, 03:49:26 PM

US 15 in between Fredrick, MD and Warrenton, VA should be a four lane arterial, but it can only have turn lanes added because it's a "historic road".  I've only traveled from Fredrick to Warrenton on that portion of US 15, but I can definitely say at least that section needs to be upgraded!  I wouldn't be surprised if it could be upgraded further south!

I could US 15 (or it's original alignment) being a "historic road" around Gettysburg.  But, that far south?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

getemngo

Any new freeway construction in Michigan.  For example, US 127 still has a segment between St. Johns and Ithaca (about 15 miles) that is 55 mph divided highway.  The last new stretch of freeway opened in 1998, and the M-57 interchange was built in 2000, but no work has even started since.  Turns out that MDOT is still acquiring ROW every year, little by little, in hopes that one day they can begin building this final stretch.
~ Sam from Michigan

Terry Shea

Quote from: getemngo on July 27, 2009, 05:50:37 PM
Any new freeway construction in Michigan.  For example, US 127 still has a segment between St. Johns and Ithaca (about 15 miles) that is 55 mph divided highway.  The last new stretch of freeway opened in 1998, and the M-57 interchange was built in 2000, but no work has even started since.  Turns out that MDOT is still acquiring ROW every year, little by little, in hopes that one day they can begin building this final stretch.
New freeway construction in Michigan?  No such animal!   :-D

Hellfighter

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 27, 2009, 07:48:29 PM
Quote from: getemngo on July 27, 2009, 05:50:37 PM
New freeway construction in Michigan?  No such animal!   :-D

Hell, we can't even afford to maintain the ones we have now!  :pan:

florida

The widening of Conway Road between FL 528 and FL 15/CR 506. In the time that this road has been "constructed" (2-3 years), the new SR 414 bypass of Apopka opened, the new toll plaza on SR 528 opened, SR 408 was widened along with a reconstructed toll plaza, half of the new I-4 interchange in downtown Orlando opened, the SPUI at SR 50 and SR 436 is halfway done. Granted these are state routes, but why does it take so long to dualize a road when the ROW was already secured and there? It's a big joke.
So many roads...so little time.

leifvanderwall

The most famous slow moving project was I-69 in Michigan and the second most famous slow moving project will be the rest of I-69 from Indy to Houston, TX. Also another slow moving project is the Illiana Tollway or otherwise called the alternate route of I-80/I-94 in Northern Indiana & Illinois.

hm insulators

The I-710 between Pasadena and Alhambra, California. The city of South Pasadena has successfully managed to fight off building this stretch of the freeway for more than 50 years! :banghead: There has been talk in recent years about tunneling to build this piece.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Bickendan

The Newberg-Dundee Bypass (OR 18/99W).
The Sunrise Freeway (OR 212/224)
The Columbia River Crossing (I-5) (!)
The I-5 to 99W Connector, which NIMBYs have dressed down and reduced to a worthless joke.

A business in Dundee has put up signs on the exterior walls, pissed off at the traffic problems from McMinnville to I-5 in Tigard. I may patronize the establishment next time I'm forced to go through Dundee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.