Old-Fashioned Three-Lane Roadways

Started by RoadWarrior56, April 01, 2009, 07:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

MoDOT has a newer version of this in place on US 63 between Rolla and US 60.  I don't believe the one lane side is allowed to pass anywhere when the other side has two lanes, but it has been awhile since I've been on that road.

Truvelo

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 02, 2009, 03:04:42 PM
MoDOT has a newer version of this in place on US 63 between Rolla and US 60.  I don't believe the one lane side is allowed to pass anywhere when the other side has two lanes, but it has been awhile since I've been on that road.
That's happening over here as well. Traditionally the single lane side has a broken like to permit passing if safe to do so but recently they being replaced with double solid lines which causes frustration if held up by slower traffic and it would otherwise be perfectly safe to pass. Another trick is to remove the passing lane completely like the picture below. This really annoys people and such measures could be responsible for a lowering of driving standards we've seen over here in the last few years.

Speed limits limit life

Terry Shea

The East Beltline (M-44) was like that for nearly its entire length north of I-96 until about 15 years ago or so.  Very dangerous!  Not only was there (is) a lot of traffic along this stretch but it's also quite hilly, making for very short passing zones.  You'd no sooner pull out to pass and the passing zone would end before you had a chance to complete the pass.

RoadWarrior56

This old idea is now being labeled as a "New Idea".  It had come to my attention this morning that Missouri DOT is touting a "Shared 4-lane" roadway.  It appears to be an old-fashioned 3-lane roadway rebranded and modernized with better striping and signing and without simultaneous passing lanes.  Check out the link below to see for yourself.

http://www.modot.org/Shared4-Lane/Shared4Lane.htm

RoadWarrior56

Actually, I think the previous was in this thread above my previous entry.  I noticed that right after I added my last post above.

agentsteel53

when I drove the Colonial Parkway, it was being used as a two-lane road.  The inner wheels of the cars driving in both directions were in the intended middle lane. 

and yes, it is completely unstriped.  I am guessing that because the lanes are only 9 feet wide, people assume that 27 feet total space is intended for two lanes ... a reasonable assumption, given that the width of a modern two-lane road is about that, if not a bit more with wide shoulders.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.