News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-35 closed between Dallas and OKC for a rock slide

Started by intelati49, June 18, 2015, 02:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Once again the witless news media get it wrong.  One lane was already reopened by noon.  ODOT plans to keep the outside lane closed until they can ensure no more boulders will fall.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

intelati49

Quote from: rte66man on June 18, 2015, 09:38:24 PM
Once again the witless news media get it wrong.  One lane was already reopened by noon.  ODOT plans to keep the outside lane closed until they can ensure no more boulders will fall.

I guess I should have researched more on it. Oops. Well out of my territory though. 

okc1

Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

okc1

They are now building a crossover so northbound traffic can use a southbound lane until the wall on the northbound side is stabilized

0PCV1

Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK

Brian556

One of the local news channels did better than the others, and showed why it is still closed. A huge piece of rock at the top is leaning towards the road.
Looks like they need to use explosives to remove it, and eliminate the danger it presents.

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on June 19, 2015, 11:57:23 PM
One of the local news channels did better than the others, and showed why it is still closed. A huge piece of rock at the top is leaning towards the road.
Looks like they need to use explosives to remove it, and eliminate the danger it presents.
Or a big hammer and chisel.

I wonder if there's any construction in the area where the rock could be put to good use?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

okc1

Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK

apeman33

And slow as hell last Sunday. Going southbound on Thursday wasn't bad at all but the traffic volume was so heavy on Sunday that the bottleneck took about 45 minutes to get through. Once we got to the other side, the backup the other direction went back about eight miles.

Cars were taking U.S. 77 to avoid the bottleneck. I saw a portable sign that said "Northbound traffic stay on I-35", though and I thought it meant that 77 was also closed. I don't think it was, though. If it wasn't for that sign, I would used 77 to bypass it.

rte66man

Quote from: apeman33 on July 30, 2015, 11:48:05 PM
And slow as hell last Sunday. Going southbound on Thursday wasn't bad at all but the traffic volume was so heavy on Sunday that the bottleneck took about 45 minutes to get through. Once we got to the other side, the backup the other direction went back about eight miles.

Cars were taking U.S. 77 to avoid the bottleneck. I saw a portable sign that said "Northbound traffic stay on I-35", though and I thought it meant that 77 was also closed. I don't think it was, though. If it wasn't for that sign, I would used 77 to bypass it.

Consider taking OK53 (Exit 40) east to US177, then north to Sulphur, then west on OK7 to I35 at Exit 55. 

-Yogi Berra

okc1

Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK

okc1

Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.