News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Give the Northwest Angle Back

Started by ghYHZ, January 04, 2019, 05:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

There's a petition in the US now to give the "˜Northwest Angle' back to Canada....but did we (Canada) ever really have it and do we want it back?

"˜We the People' Petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/give-canada-back-northwest-angle-located-manitoba

...Canadian news coverage:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/give-canada-the-northwest-angle-petition-says-land-doesn-t-belong-to-u-s-1.4238410

Appears to be a road here but to reach the rest of Minnesota.....you would have to drive through Manitoba.

https://goo.gl/maps/jVb3ZWEAjmF2

abefroman329

I think the policy of the White House paying attention to petitions that garner over X signatures ended in January 2017.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 04, 2019, 09:18:44 AM
I think the policy of the White House paying attention to petitions that garner over X signatures ended in January 2017.

I don't think there ever was one.  Even the last three would've ignored it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2019, 09:25:24 AM

Obama did it. Once it got enough (initially 25000, then 100000), it would get a response, although that's no guarantee of implentation.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

RE:  giving it to Canada  - Giving it to Canada would certainly simplify border crossing logistics, but it creates four new questions: 

- Do you give it to Manitoba (who is adjacent to it by land) or Ontario (since it's east of the MB/ON border)?
- Most of the Northwest Angle is part of the Red Lake Indian Reservation.  What becomes of its status?  Does it get granted First Nation status under Canadian law?
- What do you do with the 119 residents (per the 2010 census) who are currently U.S./Minnesota citizens?
- Do you include the nearby islands that are also currently part of Minnesota?  At least two of them (Penasse and Oak Island) are populated.

RE:  the road - Yes, there is a road into the Northwest Angle.  In Minnesota, it's a County State Aid Highway (CSAH 49).  It's unpaved...in fact, the nearest pavement is on PR (Provincial Road) 308, about 7 miles from the border and 16 miles from Angle Inlet proper.  The nearest U.S. town (Warroad) is about 61 miles from Angle Inlet via CSAH 49, PR 525, PR 308, MB 12, and MN 313.  MnDOT shows the AADT on CSAH 49 as around 150, but few people actually use the road to get to/from the Angle...most people come via boat or seaplane.  There are also ice roads on the lake during the coldest parts of winter, some of which are within U.S. waters and as such don't require Customs check-ins.

1995hoo

It's not a case of giving it "back" because it didn't belong to Canada. The Northwest Angle is part of the US because of inaccurate maps and assumptions made during the negotiations with the British to end the American Revolution. The peace treaty, which was based on the erroneous maps, says the border between the US and the British possessions to the north would run "...through the Lake of the Woods to the northwestern-most point thereof, and from thence on a due west course to the river Mississippi...." Problem is, the Mississippi doesn't go that far north. Its origin at Lake Itasca was not known at the time, and it's south of the Lake of the Woods. Meanwhile, the northwestern-most point of the Lake of the Woods is in a narrow arm to the north of what we now know as the Northwest Angle. This was all discovered by 1815, so in 1818 the border was renegotiated. The provision about the northwestern-most point in the lake was kept, but from there the border ran (and still runs) due south to the 49th parallel, at which point it turns west. (A later treaty relating to the division of the Oregon Country provided that it would deflect south near the Pacific so as not to split Vancouver Island.) The use of the 49th parallel led to other US enclaves accessible only through Canada –Elm Point, Minnesota, and Point Roberts, Washington, are the main two.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Exactly that explains why when I see "East of the Mississippi" and "West of the Mississippi" I wonder what is "East of the Mississippi" and what "West of the Mississippi" in Northern Minnesota (roughly from Bemidji to the Canadian border). I've solved that by tracing a line from Bemidji Lake to the Lower Red Lake, and then straight Northwards to where the USA/Canada border hits the 49th parallel after going South on the Lake of the Woods. As I once mentioned on the Geographical oddities that defy conventional wisdom thread, it is possible to go from East of the Mississippi to West of the Mississippi or vice-versa by land without crossing the Mississippi river at all, by traveling on MN 11.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

I'd rather not adjust the border for no reason.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

I'd give Northwest Angle (and associated islands, Elm Point, etc.) and Point Roberts to Canada to eliminate the border irregularities.  In return, Canada can give up its claim on the disputed island in Maine/New Brunswick.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 04, 2019, 01:35:29 PM
I'd give Northwest Angle (and associated islands, Elm Point, etc.) and Point Roberts to Canada to eliminate the border irregularities.  In return, Canada can give up its claim on the disputed island in Maine/New Brunswick.
Point Roberts actually has permanent residents though.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on January 04, 2019, 10:51:32 AM
RE:  giving it to Canada  - Giving it to Canada would certainly simplify border crossing logistics, but it creates four new questions: 

- Most of the Northwest Angle is part of the Red Lake Indian Reservation.  What becomes of its status?  Does it get granted First Nation status under Canadian law?

For those who aren't aware, this is not the first time this kind of thing has been proposed. A similar petition to give the Angle to Canada came around in the mid-1990s at the federal level and was proposed by the state representative for the Angle, which the tribe strongly opposed, feeling as though (as is far too common in American history) their concerns and their rights to their land were completely ignored.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Quote from: vdeane on January 04, 2019, 01:35:29 PM

Point Roberts is actually rather useful for Canadians as a U.S. municipality. It has American prices for gas and package shipping, plus there are people who live there and commute to Vancouver for work in order to maintain their eligibility for U.S. citizenship. One case is Kekuta Manneh, a soccer player for the Vancouver Whitecaps who got his citizenship in 2016 (and is thus now eligible play for the U.S. team).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 04, 2019, 12:04:44 PM
Exactly that explains why when I see "East of the Mississippi" and "West of the Mississippi" I wonder what is "East of the Mississippi" and what "West of the Mississippi" in Northern Minnesota (roughly from Bemidji to the Canadian border). I've solved that by tracing a line from Bemidji Lake to the Lower Red Lake, and then straight Northwards to where the USA/Canada border hits the 49th parallel after going South on the Lake of the Woods. As I once mentioned on the Geographical oddities that defy conventional wisdom thread, it is possible to go from East of the Mississippi to West of the Mississippi or vice-versa by land without crossing the Mississippi river at all, by traveling on MN 11.

You're taking the definition far too literally. "East/West of the Mississippi" has little meaning within the state; no one refers to Minneapolis or St. Cloud as "West" or St. Paul/Duluth as "East".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cjk374

CBS News' "Sunday Morning" did a nice story about the NW <.

https://youtu.be/SkbuZfC06d8
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

Quote from: RoadgeekteenPoint Roberts actually has permanent residents though.

So does the Northwest Angle, plus 2 of the adjacent islands...or did you miss that in my previous post?

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 05, 2019, 12:27:18 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 04, 2019, 12:04:44 PM

You're taking the definition far too literally. "East/West of the Mississippi" has little meaning within the state; no one refers to Minneapolis or St. Cloud as "West" or St. Paul/Duluth as "East".

In a similar vein, there are places in the New Orleans area where the "Westbank" is actually located east of the "east" side of the Mississippi (across from the French Quarter is the most notable spot).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Annex Canada.  Problem solved...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Roadgeekteen

02 Park Ave

- Do you include the nearby islands that are also currently part of Minnesota?  At least two of them (Penasse and Oak Island) are populated.

Is there any "curse" involved with this Oak Island?
C-o-H

ghYHZ

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 05, 2019, 10:47:53 PM

Is there any "curse" involved with this Oak Island?

No.....'this' is 'that' Oak Island....

https://goo.gl/maps/3oqWENtHpVA2

02 Park Ave

The Northwest Angle's Oak Island is a lot closer to the UP.
C-o-H

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2019, 09:36:40 AM
Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2019, 09:25:24 AM

Obama did it. Once it got enough (initially 25000, then 100000), it would get a response, although that's no guarantee of implentation.

Then when we wanted to deport Justin Bieber he upped it to 250,000.

sparker

Grant all the residents of the Angle, Elm Point, and Point Roberts dual citizenship -- and then start negotiating any territorial measures or swaps.  Of course, that'd be a non-starter with the current crowd controlling such things in D.C., given their enmity to Trudeau and his cohorts; such things should be postponed until 2021 at the earliest!

inkyatari

Turn the Northwest Angle into an international park, governed by a commission from both the US and Canada.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.