News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sweden Opens World’s First Electric Highway

Started by kurumi, June 23, 2016, 05:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

http://ecowatch.com/2016/06/23/sweden-first-electric-road/

A 22 kilometer (or roughly 13 miles) stretch of the E16 road–which connects Oslo, Norway, to Gävle, Sweden–is fitted with power lines overhead, developed by Siemens, providing electricity to hybrid trucks. The system works like a tram system. A current collector on the trucks will transfer energy from the power lines to the trucks' hybrid electric motors, Sputnik News reported. The electric lines help trucks operate longer between recharges.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

english si

I saw similar stuff (presumably for trolleybuses) in Osh, Kazakhstan on streetview today. And Varna, Bulgaria has similar. And I'm sure there's many other places too that have wires on roads so vehicles with special equipment can use electric power.

Varna's even in the EU, so surely not that remote and exotic?

mgk920

Quote from: english si on June 23, 2016, 10:51:59 PM
I saw similar stuff (presumably for trolleybuses) in Osh, Kazakhstan on streetview today. And Varna, Bulgaria has similar. And I'm sure there's many other places too that have wires on roads so vehicles with special equipment can use electric power.

Varna's even in the EU, so surely not that remote and exotic?

The last that I heard, there are five cities in the USA with these kinds of electric 'trackless' trolley bus systems - Boston, MA (MBTA); Dayton, OH; Philadelphia, PA (SEPTA); San Francisco, CA (MUNI) and Seattle, WA.  San Francisco MUNI especially loves theirs because of the vehicles' hill climbing ability.  (A fully loaded trackless trolley bus will walk right up hills that still stall similarly loaded diesel buses.)

Mike

Chris

The Swedish transport authority Trafikverket says it's only a 2 kilometer demonstration project, not 22 kilometers as some media reported.

Teststräckan pÃ¥ E16 är tvÃ¥ kilometer lÃ¥ng.

The test segment on E16 is two kilometers long

http://www.trafikverket.se/om-oss/nyheter/Nationellt/2016-06/forsta-elvagen-i-sverige-invigs/

WillWeaverRVA

Interesting. This particular application seems like a light rail or trackless trolley line designed exclusively for shipping purposes.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris on June 24, 2016, 08:51:05 AM
The Swedish transport authority Trafikverket says it's only a 2 kilometer demonstration project, not 22 kilometers as some media reported.

Teststräckan pÃ¥ E16 är tvÃ¥ kilometer lÃ¥ng.

The test segment on E16 is two kilometers long

http://www.trafikverket.se/om-oss/nyheter/Nationellt/2016-06/forsta-elvagen-i-sverige-invigs/

750 volts DC - same as many tram lines and at least one of the Stockholm subways lines.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.