News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor V

Started by Grzrd, December 03, 2013, 06:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

After recent discussion about Corridor V in another thread, I emailed MDOT and asked them if they had a timeline to complete Corridor V.  MDOT's reply:

The design is complete, however the project is not in our 5-year plan for construction. I've also attached a Google Earth image showing the proposed route.

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 21, 2013, 05:38:41 AM
I am wondering whether MS 76/Corridor V will intersect with the end of the MS 25 four-lane at a T-intersection or if the four lane will just continue straight onto Corridor V with MS 25 traffic having to turn off of or onto Corridor V?
(above quote from Construction begins on South Greenville, MS freeway thread)

Here is a snip from MDOT's Google Earth image of the proposed intersection:

Here is a snip of the image from the state line area:

Here is a snip of the entire planned corridor:

codyg1985

Thanks, Grzrd! I'm sort of glad that Corridor V/MS 76 will be the through route when it splits off of MS 25 north of Fulton.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Charles2

Wonder if there are any long-term plans to give Corridor V a U.S. route number, since it will become a major connector between Tupelo and Decatur/Huntsville upon completion?  I don't know about everyone else, but this looks like a good place for U.S. 272 or 478.

NE2

Quote from: Charles2 on December 05, 2013, 12:31:04 AM
Wonder if there are any long-term plans to give Corridor V a U.S. route number, since it will become a major connector between Tupelo and Decatur/Huntsville upon completion?  I don't know about everyone else, but this looks like a good place for U.S. 272 or 478.
US 565 :bigass:

Could go southwest to Jackson on MS 25 rather than ending at Fulton/Tupelo.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

Quote from: NE2 on December 05, 2013, 01:32:12 AM
Quote from: Charles2 on December 05, 2013, 12:31:04 AM
US 565 :bigass:

Could go southwest to Jackson on MS 25 rather than ending at Fulton/Tupelo.

Could extend further NE via Tn 55, US 70S, and TN 111 to Kentucky and call it US 39.

Mapmikey

richllewis

To extend Mississippi 25 from Iuka to Jackson would mean that the State of Mississippi would have to find a Route that would link Starkville and West Point without going down US 82 east and US Alt 45 North. There is a secondary road between Starkville and West Point already but it isn't numbered and is really a County Rd. Also at Aberdeen there has to be a straight interchange rather than turning into 45 and going South on 45 a ways and then North on 25 like it is now.

I have rode with my Mother Hwy 25 all the way from Jackson on Lakeland Drive to Starkville and it seems like it could be given an Interstate designation in places North of Jackson. (Louisville could be an exception)

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on November 21, 2013, 12:35:52 AM
To my mind the open question is to what extent MDOT's plans to widen MS 25 coincide with Corridor V; if there's no overlap (i.e. an online widening of MS 25, which is pretty curvy between Corridor V and Tishomingo County), it's less likely to happen than if MDOT plans to use a lengthy chunk of Corridor V and then strike off on new terrain north toward Belmont near MS 23. For now though MDOT's focus seems to be on MS 25 between US 45 and US 78, rather than the north-of-78 section.

Page 21/26 of the pdf of this document indicates that MDOT does not intend to use the new terrain Corridor V as a major part of the MS 25 widening project in Itawamba County:

With two roughly parallel four-lane projects in such close proximity, I emailed MDOT and asked if one project has been prioritized over the other.  MDOT's reply:

According to our Planning Division : Both the Itawamba County 4-laning of MS 25 and the Itawamba County section of Corridor V have a year of need past the current MDOT 5-year program.  These routes will be prioritized according to the criteria set forth in the V21 legislation.

Might need to check back in a decade or so .......

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on December 07, 2013, 11:16:58 AM
MDOT does not intend to use the new terrain Corridor V as a major part of the MS 25 widening project in Itawamba County:
Silly. They could build a route north from the V/23 intersection to Golden just as easily as a longer new-terrain 25 southwest of Golden.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

Bear in mind the Vision 21 maps are illustrative; unless they have a design for MS 25 north of Corridor V (AFAIK they haven't even done any environmental work), widening the existing alignment isn't set in stone.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 28, 2012, 10:54:01 AM
This July 23 article reports that MAP-21 changed the ADHS funding formula: ADHS projects now can be paid 100% with federal dollars, BUT that money is no longer specifically designated for particular projects
(above quote from Birmingham Northern Beltline (I-422, I-959) thread)
Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2013, 01:13:42 PM
They could build a route north from the V/23 intersection to Golden just as easily as a longer new-terrain 25 southwest of Golden.
Quote from: lordsutch on December 08, 2013, 12:24:39 AM
Bear in mind the Vision 21 maps are illustrative; unless they have a design for MS 25 north of Corridor V (AFAIK they haven't even done any environmental work), widening the existing alignment isn't set in stone.

Agreed. I asked for a map showing the plans for the MS 25 widening and did not receive one. With MAP-21 now providing 100% federal funding for ADHS projects (with those projects now having to compete against other state projects for the federal money), it would seem to make sense for MDOT to at least explore leveraging the new terrain ADHS Corridor V to the greatest extent possible for the MS 25 widening.

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on November 23, 2013, 03:59:13 AM
the completed (?) Corridor V near the state line

This May 11, 2013 article reports that an approximate 14-mile section from Franklin 21 to the Mississippi state line opened in early May:

The western section of Alabama 24 in Franklin County opened to traffic this week, which over time, should make the drive between Russellville and Red Bay a little shorter ....
The nearly 14-mile section is the second phase of the Alabama 24 four-lane project, also known as Corridor V. The first phase was from U.S. 43 in Russellville to near Belgreen. The new section of highway stretches from Franklin 21 to the Mississippi state line. Now that the western section has opened, officials said bids will be let on the third and final phase, which will run from Belgreen to Franklin 21. Once that section is completed, Alabama 24 will be a four-lane highway from Decatur to the Mississippi state line.

Now that the western section has opened, officials said bids will be let on the third and final phase, which will run from Belgreen to Franklin 21.

This post indicates that a contract has been awarded for the third phase:

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 05, 2013, 07:43:52 PM
A low bid of $18.5 million from APAC Mid-South also came in for the base and pave along 8.9 miles of AL 24/Corridor V west of Russellville. This section will complete Corridor V in Alabama as it was originally planned.

edit

NE2 recently posted, in another thread, that the recently let AL 24 section has a projected completion date of summer 2016:

Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2013, 06:34:37 PM
4 lanes to Russellville, under construction to Red Bay (estimated completion summer 2016)

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 20, 2012, 01:13:55 PM
MDOT's District One Updates indicates that the expected completion date for the MS 6 paving project has been pushed back to June 2014
(above quote from Mississippi thread)
Quote from: richllewis on July 11, 2013, 06:21:13 AM
There are going to be hearings on the Road System in Mississippi. The article states that Mississippi does not have enough money for new highways as well as maintenance of the system. Public hearings will be held throughout the state. The article is at:
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/22808269/state-task-force-on-highways-will-hold-town-hall-meetings
(above quote from Mississippi thread)

This August 25, 2013 editorial provides an optimistic completion date of May 2014 for the MS 6 portion of Corridor V, and it also uses MS 6 as a case example for the proposition that Mississippi needs to consider new funding mechanisms for its highway system:

The final work to connect U.S. 45 with the new, four-laned Mississippi Highway 6 will tie up traffic at the intersection of Green Street and Highway 145 for the next three months in south Tupelo, but the light at the end of the tunnel is the projected opening of the new road in May after a decade and more of planning and construction ....
The new Highway 6 is a universe away from the single-lane ribbon of concrete that until well after World War II connected Tupelo and Pontotoc ....
The last section under construction runs from Highway 342 in Pontotoc County to Highway 45 in Tupelo.
Much of the new Highway 6 construction was part of Corridor V in the Appalachian Highway System, a federally funded program that also involves new portions of Mississippi Highway 25 and a new road connecting into Alabama. U.S. 78 is part of Corridor V as well as Corridor X, soon to become Interstate 22.
The interconnectivity of highways like Mississippi 6 illustrates the complexity and the financial balancing act required to build the highways Mississippi needs. All the completed four-lane highways in Northeast Mississippi have been built since 1987, a fact of history that should not be ignored by legislators and other decision makers who are all but dismissive of the idea that additional hundreds of millions must be spent to maintain the system and build other, new roads for growth dependent on top-grade transportation.

lordsutch

May doesn't seem overly optimistic to me; a couple of weeks ago it looked like the road was basically done except for some final surface paving, signage, and overhead gantry installation at the Green/Gloster Street end, unless it's really behind somewhere else.  The Google overheads, which have to be older since the work at Gloster isn't as advanced, shows most of the paving done already.

Grzrd

In looking at MDOT's February 25 contract advertisements, I noticed a MS 6 project in the Tupelo area. I emailed MDOT and asked about the project. MDOT's response:

The project letting in February is on the old 2 lane Hwy 6.  This maintenance type project is to prepare the Old route to return to the maintenance jurisdiction of the City and County.  In doing this project we will return it to them in "like new"  condition.

Quote from: lordsutch on December 12, 2013, 05:08:37 PM
May doesn't seem overly optimistic to me

I also asked about the anticipated opening date of the "new" MS 6 and it is still looking like May:

If the weather corporates [sic] we should have traffic on the New Corridor MS 6 /US 278 by Mid May.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 05, 2014, 11:57:08 AM
I also asked about the anticipated opening date of the "new" MS 6 and it is still looking like May:
If the weather corporates [sic] we should have traffic on the New Corridor MS 6 /US 278 by Mid May.

This article reports that MDOT is now anticipating a mid-June opening for Tupelo's "new" MS 6:

An almost-finished ribbon of pavement to provide an uninterrupted four-lane link from U.S. 45 in Tupelo to Interstate 55 in Batesville is projected to open in mid-June.
The last 10-mile stretch of Miss. 6 runs from Pontotoc County to south Tupelo.

Mississippi Department of Transportation District Engineer Mark Holley told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal a portion of the segment needs a final layer of asphalt, signage, striping and some shoulder work but all dirt-moving is complete.
The new road nearest Tupelo is fully controlled access; it becomes a controlled access with grade-level crossings in more rural areas. Holley says the speed limit probably will be 65 mph.
Holley said $42 million was spent on earlier phases of the final segment, bringing total anticipated investment to $68 million for the 10 miles ....
The highway also is designated Corridor V in the Appalachian Development Highway System.

Another article includes a photo of the construction:

froggie

QuoteThe new road nearest Tupelo is fully controlled access; it becomes a controlled access with grade-level crossings in more rural areas.

Judging from aerial imagery, it looks like the "interchanges" at Bissell Rd and the Natchez Trace Pkwy will be right-in/right-outs instead of proper ramps.  Otherwise, yes it looks like it'll be fully-controlled access for just under 4 miles from CR 199 over to MS 145/Gloster St.

lordsutch

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2014, 11:45:30 AMJudging from aerial imagery, it looks like the "interchanges" at Bissell Rd and the Natchez Trace Pkwy will be right-in/right-outs instead of proper ramps.  Otherwise, yes it looks like it'll be fully-controlled access for just under 4 miles from CR 199 over to MS 145/Gloster St.

MDOT did the same thing on the new MS 9 near Fairview: essentially RIRO rather than proper ramps at the one interchange. Assuming the traffic volumes stay low it shouldn't be a problem, especially given that most of the growth in Tupelo seems to be along 178 and N Gloster.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 17, 2014, 11:53:33 AM
This article reports that MDOT is now anticipating a mid-June opening for Tupelo's "new" MS 6

This article reports that weather issues have pushed the projected opening until late June:

MDOT District Engineer Mark Holley, who heads engineering in the Tupelo office of the Mississippi Department of Transportation ....
the opening of the new Mississippi Highway 6 from Tupelo to Black Zion Road in Pontotoc County is expected late this month, Holley said. That segment, once opened to traffic, will complete the four-laning of the highway from Tupelo to Pontotoc, through Oxford to Batesville.
Holley said the east end of the new Mississippi 6 work on South Gloster Street at the connector to U.S. Highway 45 in south Tupelo has been delayed by weather issues.

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 04, 2013, 07:12:35 AM
I'm sort of glad that Corridor V/MS 76 will be the through route when it splits off of MS 25 north of Fulton.
Quote from: Grzrd on December 07, 2013, 11:16:58 AM
MDOT's reply:
According to our Planning Division : Both the Itawamba County 4-laning of MS 25 and the Itawamba County section of Corridor V have a year of need past the current MDOT 5-year program.  These routes will be prioritized according to the criteria set forth in the V21 legislation.

Looking past the opening of the new MS 6 in Tupelo, the September 30, 2013 Status Report for Corridor V in Mississippi reports that final stage design and ROW acquisition is proceeding on the final, new terrain section of Mississippi's section of Corridor V from MS 25 eastward:

Projects currently under way on Corridor V in Mississippi include:
- Paving on the section from SR 342 in Pontotoc County to SR 145 & then to US 45 in Tupelo, Lee County
- Final stage design and ROW acquisition on the section between Fairview (at SR 25) and SR 23

It will probably be a long time before any construction begins, though.

edit

The September 30, 2013 Status Report for Corridor V in Tennessee reports that 2.5 miles were under construction at that time and the remaining 1.3 miles have been completed:

Corridor V runs from the Alabama State line near South Pittsburg to I-24 at Kimball. The total length of the corridor is 3.8 miles.
Authorized for ADHS Funding 3.8 miles
All Eligible Work Complete 1.3 miles
Remaining Stage Construction 2.5 miles

The Sept. 2013 ADHS Completion Plan Report indicates that the 2.5 miles of construction had been planned to be completed in December 2013:

codyg1985

I wonder if the I-24/US 72 interchange rebuild project was considered part of what was needed to complete Corridor V? Before that, the I-24 bridge had a low clearance that would cause some trucks to have to detour to get around it.

Alabama may be planning to build a welcome center along US 72 westbound after you cross from South Pittsburg, TN.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 08, 2014, 09:19:37 AM
I wonder if the I-24/US 72 interchange rebuild project was considered part of what was needed to complete Corridor V?

I think so. The 2012 ADHS Tennessee Cost-to-Complete Report includes it:

Corridor V
Corridor V extends 3.8 miles from the Alabama state line to I-24. The estimated cost to complete Corridor V in Tennessee is $30.7 million.
Remaining work includes the following:
 Construction of interchanges at E.Twelfth Street, and E. Third Street in South Pittsburg.
 Reconstruction of the interchange at the junction of US72/SR-27 and I-24.
 Construction of a welcome center at the Alabama state line.

codyg1985

I don't see how an interchange at Third Street would fit since it is so close to the existing TN 156 interchange.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

I wonder if the I-24/US 72 interchange rebuild project was considered part of what was needed to complete Corridor V? Before that, the I-24 bridge had a low clearance that would cause some trucks to have to detour to get around it.

Alabama may be planning to build a welcome center along US 72 westbound after you cross from South Pittsburg, TN.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 05, 2014, 08:30:46 AM
The September 30, 2013 Status Report for Corridor V in Tennessee reports that 2.5 miles were under construction at that time and the remaining 1.3 miles have been completed.
I wonder if the I-24/US 72 interchange rebuild project was considered part of what was needed to complete Corridor V?

I emailed TDOT to check on the status of I-24/US 72 rebuild project and they replied that the project was completed in April 2013:

The project to reconstruct and improve the I-24 interchange at U.S. 72 in Marion Co. was completed in April of 2013.  The completion of this project does not complete Corridor V in Tennessee.  It is my understanding that the work for this corridor includes the construction of interchanges at 3rd Street and 12th Street along with a proposed welcome center.  Currently, the Department has no plans to construct these projects.

Quote from: Grzrd on June 05, 2014, 08:30:46 AM
The Sept. 2013 ADHS Completion Plan Report indicates that the 2.5 miles of construction had been planned to be completed in December 2013

Given the April 2013 completion date of the interchange rebuild in combination with no current plans to build the two remaining projects, I have no idea where the December 2013 completion date for all of Corridor V in Tennessee came from.

Grzrd

This article reports that the new four-lane MS 6 will open on July 15:

Mississippi Department of Transportation officials confirmed Thursday that the new four-lane section of Mississippi Highway 6 into Tupelo is scheduled to open July 15.
A ribbon-cutting is scheduled for 10 a.m. that day near the Hancock Drive interchange south of Tupelo High School ....
The ceremony will mark completion of the $27 million final paving project on the roadway from U.S. Highway 45 in Tupelo to Interstate 55 at Batesville. Other sections of the highway artery have been open for several years.
Tupelo District Construction Engineer Jamie McDonald said weather conditions hold the key to completion of the final 10-mile segment. A resurfacing of the connector to U.S. 45 off South Gloster Street must be complete before the highway can open to traffic.
McDonald said inclement weather has delayed the opening, which had been projected earlier for late May or June.
The final link has been designated U.S. 278/SR 6, but it's expected to be known as Highway 6.

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
Judging from aerial imagery, it looks like the "interchanges" at Bissell Rd and the Natchez Trace Pkwy will be right-in/right-outs instead of proper ramps.  Otherwise, yes it looks like it'll be fully-controlled access for just under 4 miles from CR 199 over to MS 145/Gloster St.

The article also discusses the access issue:

officials said the new roadway nearest Tupelo is fully controlled access but it becomes a controlled access with grade-level crossings in more rural areas. The speed limit probably will be 65 mph ...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 27, 2014, 11:57:25 AM
This article reports that the new four-lane MS 6 will open on July 15

This article reports that the ribbon cutting for the new MS 6 took place today, but the new MS 6 will not open to traffic until Monday, July 21, at the earliest:

Mississippi Department of Transportation officials, legislators and about 200 other people marked the official ribbon cutting for new Highway 6/U.S. 278 Tuesday morning, but the last segment of the our-lane connecting I-55 at Batesville and U.S. 45 in Tupelo won't open to traffic until Monday at the earliest.
Frequent rainfall has delayed final work on the section from Highway 342 in Pontotoc County to U.S. 45, but District Engineer Mark Holley said, "We're shooting for Monday"  to open.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.