News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bjrush on October 12, 2017, 09:18:01 AM
:confused:

There isn't a single mention of Missouri in that PowerPoint
Well no, but I was talking about in general; from the other mentions of 'The Show Me State'.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bjrush

ARDOT director Scott Bennett is retiring in May, to be replaced by Laurie Tudor. Bennett served as director since 2011.
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Quote from: bjrush on March 03, 2020, 07:05:18 PM
ARDOT director Scott Bennett is retiring in May, to be replaced by Laurie Tudor. Bennett served as director since 2011.

Retiring? How old is he, 29? He isn't very old.

US71

Quote from: bugo on March 04, 2020, 08:10:18 AM

I think he got a job offer out of state
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

He started with AHTD back in 1989 as an intern, so likely much older than he looks.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 04, 2020, 12:09:54 PM

He started with AHTD back in 1989 as an intern, so likely much older than he looks.

He's been with ARDOT for 32 years, so he's probably 50-ish

bjrush

ARDOT is also searching for a new public information officer. Danny Straessle has left the department for a job with Jacobs in LR. I think he was largely responsible for the improved communications in recent years. He always responded to my requests quickly and was very helpful.

He may well have been the ARDOT account on here as well IMO
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on March 28, 2020, 08:40:47 PM
ARDOT is also searching for a new public information officer. Danny Straessle has left the department for a job with Jacobs in LR. I think he was largely responsible for the improved communications in recent years. He always responded to my requests quickly and was very helpful.

He may well have been the ARDOT account on here as well IMO

Didn't know that. I'll have to start over being a nuisance to ARDOT ;)

Tomahawkin

Does anyone think IH south of Little Rock  should have toll lanes? Toll lanes in Atlanta (Excluding the old 400 toll booth) have provided a lot of funding for badly needed interchange projects which are going on right now and will continue for the next 10 years. Toll lanes on IH 30 could fund IH 57 getting completed, as well as IH 69, and 49 and could fund US 412 across the state

I-55

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 12, 2020, 07:37:53 PM
Does anyone think IH south of Little Rock  should have toll lanes? Toll lanes in Atlanta (Excluding the old 400 toll booth) have provided a lot of funding for badly needed interchange projects which are going on right now and will continue for the next 10 years. Toll lanes on IH 30 could fund IH 57 getting completed, as well as IH 69, and 49 and could fund US 412 across the state

1) I don't necessarily see a need for toll lanes in Little Rock. The area is relatively low density and has adequate freeways.

2) They would be expensive to build and 3) I don't see many people utilizing them. The metro is 10x smaller than Atlanta and has more of a truck traffic problem (particularly 30 W and 40 E). There are many metro areas (Indianapolis, Columbus, Birmingham) with far greater populations and decent traffic without HOT lanes.

3) Exactly what route(s) would they be on?

4) ARDOT said they'd be studying this back in 2016, but I've yet to see any follow up on that. If someone has anything on that I would greatly appreciate it.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

bwana39

Quote from: I-55 on September 12, 2020, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 12, 2020, 07:37:53 PM

First there is a constitutional issue with tolls in Arkansas.
Then there is the fact you are comparing a metro area with less than a million people to one  with about 6 million.
I don't think that the tolls generated in that small of a metro area would even start to pay for what Arkansas needs.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Tomahawkin

Good point about the truck traffic across the state! I proposed making 49 a toll corridor around 12 years ago on here to get it built because of the snowbird traffic as well as the traffic in the NWA Area, Since a lot of people there are from Texas, California, Georgia and New England. Thanks for your Input! Its Football time! #FalconsRiseUp

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 13, 2020, 08:28:00 AM
Good point about the truck traffic across the state! I proposed making 49 a toll corridor around 12 years ago on here to get it built because of the snowbird traffic as well as the traffic in the NWA Area, Since a lot of people there are from Texas, California, Georgia and New England. Thanks for your Input! Its Football time! #FalconsRiseUp

I think the big 3 (Tyson/JB Hunt/Walmart) would have a strong opinion about tolling 49. I don't see them favoring tolls on "their" highway.

Alex

Had thought to take US 412 west from Missouri to Walnut Ridge, but given the Paragould bypass was not quite finished and ongoing four lane construction west of Paragould, opted for a nrotherly route via AR 90 and AR 34.

Highway 412 bypass in Paragould set to open

PARAGOULD, Ark. (KAIT) - A three-year Arkansas Department of Transportation project is nearing completion in Paragould.

The $13 million, Highway 412 bypass project began in 2017, according to ARDOT District 10 Engineer Brad Smithee.

He explained the project's slow process was due to wet seasons stopping work.

QuoteThe project now enters its final phases with striping, uncovering signage, and rumble strips to be placed.

In the next few weeks, drivers need to be aware of the changes taking place.

Stop signs will be uncovered, signs and advanced warnings will be placed, and once open, ARDOT employees will be stationed at the intersections to help drivers.

The Ghostbuster

Is the US 412 Paragould Bypass planned to eventually be expanded to four lanes?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 14, 2020, 06:44:57 PM
Is the US 412 Paragould Bypass planned to eventually be expanded to four lanes?

I've not seen any indication, but I would say it's contingent on traffic volume ala Fayetteville's 71 Bypass.

roadman65

I see that part of I-555 allows farm machinery on part of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on September 18, 2020, 10:59:28 PM
I see that part of I-555 allows farm machinery on part of it.

Yes. Given the lay of the land, a service road would have been cost prohibitive .

ozarkman417

This article on the new I-30 widening project in Little Rock says it will be the largest in the state's history.. financially, at nearly 632 million dollars. The project involves replacing the AR River bridges, and I'm guessing that is what makes it so expensive. If that's the case, then in the future, i-49 in Central and Southern AR may be more expensive. On top of building brand new AR river bridges, the route will involve blasting through the Ouachitas. Just a prediction.
link to article

SM-G965U

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 19, 2020, 01:00:13 PM
This article on the new I-30 widening project in Little Rock says it will be the largest in the state's history.. financially, at nearly 632 million dollars. The project involves replacing the AR River bridges, and I'm guessing that is what makes it so expensive. If that's the case, then in the future, i-49 in Central and Southern AR may be more expensive. On top of building brand new AR river bridges, the route will involve blasting through the Ouachitas. Just a prediction.
link to article

SM-G965U

Arkansas needs another John Paul Hammerschmidt or Prissy Hickerson to make things happen.

Revive 755

edwaleni

The Ghostbuster

Are there any plans to complete the AR 530 gap between AR 11 and AR 35?

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 27, 2020, 04:31:30 PM

Eventually. Maybe when I-530 is rerouted.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2020, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 27, 2020, 04:31:30 PM

Eventually. Maybe when I-530 is rerouted.

And when the gap is filled, it will be with a 2-lane facility built in a 4-lane right-of-way until/if I-69 becomes a reality and generates the traffic necessary to expand it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.