News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Future of the U.S. Numbered Highway System

Started by fredmcain, September 06, 2019, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I'll just leave it with this: Texas has been known to take corridor definitions very, very narrowly (see: I-69E/C/W).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2019, 08:02:12 PM
I'll just leave it with this: Texas has been known to take corridor definitions very, very narrowly (see: I-69E/C/W).

Just for the sake of designation -- and keeping the funding stream open as wide as possible.  To that end, they (probably wisely) elected to not overestimate the intelligence and capability for rational thinking of their pet congresspeople -- particularly those who were part of the original corridor concept back in the early/mid 1990's.  As far as actual in-the-field routing goes, it'll be up to the planners & engineers, who tend to "straightline" routing oddities for the sake of monetary outlay as much as anything (hence bridging the Brazos at its narrowest point). 

This should have been saved for the I-14 thread -- but please take note that US 190 itself between I-35 and I-45 was an overlay of a series of state or other US highways (TX 36, US 79, TX 6, TX 21); there's not a bit of 190 there that isn't MPX'd with other field-signed routes.  A real grid-pattern anomaly!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: sparker on September 14, 2019, 03:45:19 AM
Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2019, 08:02:12 PM

Just for the sake of designation -- and keeping the funding stream open as wide as possible.  To that end, they (probably wisely) elected to not overestimate the intelligence and capability for rational thinking of their pet congresspeople -- particularly those who were part of the original corridor concept back in the early/mid 1990's.  As far as actual in-the-field routing goes, it'll be up to the planners & engineers, who tend to "straightline" routing oddities for the sake of monetary outlay as much as anything (hence bridging the Brazos at its narrowest point). 

This should have been saved for the I-14 thread -- but please take note that US 190 itself between I-35 and I-45 was an overlay of a series of state or other US highways (TX 36, US 79, TX 6, TX 21); there's not a bit of 190 there that isn't MPX'd with other field-signed routes.  A real grid-pattern anomaly!

Well, considering US 190 originally stopped at the Mississippi River, seeing it mpx'd with other routes doesn't shock me.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.