News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 13, 2019, 02:53:04 PM
ITB, I've mentioned this before, but you have a real knack for photography.  This I-69 thread is easily one of the best photo threads on this forum.

(Like button)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 13, 2019, 07:48:27 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 13, 2019, 02:53:04 PM
ITB, I've mentioned this before, but you have a real knack for photography.  This I-69 thread is easily one of the best photo threads on this forum.

(Like button)

This I agree with very much.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on January 10, 2019, 10:40:07 PM
A few pre-construction pictures of State Road 37 in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were taken November 3, 2018, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Another perspective of SR 37 in Martinsville, looking slightly southeast from near the SR 37/SR 252-Hospital Drive intersection. The SR 37/Grand Valley Road intersection, where the overpass is planned, is in the mid-background.
Just to make sure I'm on the right page, but here do you mean "slightly southeast," as if the road were heading due south? I ask because I'm trying to place your positioning on a map, and the direction can't be anything than slightly west of south.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2019, 06:56:34 PM
Quote from: ITB on January 10, 2019, 10:40:07 PM
A few pre-construction pictures of State Road 37 in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were taken November 3, 2018, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Another perspective of SR 37 in Martinsville, looking slightly southeast from near the SR 37/SR 252-Hospital Drive intersection. The SR 37/Grand Valley Road intersection, where the overpass is planned, is in the mid-background.
Just to make sure I'm on the right page, but here do you mean "slightly southeast," as if the road were heading due south? I ask because I'm trying to place your positioning on a map, and the direction can't be anything than slightly west of south.

Yes, I see what you're saying. Using Google maps and Google Earth as reference, it does appear the camera is facing southwest, but that is not the case. The true perspective of the photo is almost directly due south, not "slightly southeast," as noted in the caption. I try to be accurate with perspective positions, but am sometimes off. I can't explain the difference between the maps and the perspective position of the photo–due south–which I believe is correct. To be truly looking southeast, the perspective would shift left, pushing the poles seen in the image out of the frame. To be looking southwest, the brown telephone pole would move to the left of the frame. To be looking due west would mean about a 90 degree turn to the right. Although it appears I'm positioned near the SR 37/SR 252 intersection when the photo was taken, I'm actually upwards of a hundred yards away.

Addendum: Looking again at Martinsville via Google Earth, it does appear the camera angle is facing slightly southwest. I'll admit I don't know the Martinsville area all that well, and because of that, my sense of direction may be skewed to an extent. I can say that I almost always try to take pictures away from the direction of the sun, usually with it at my back, and would be very reluctant to turn the camera toward it. Still, having said that it's likely the above image was captured with the camera pointed to some degree south/southwest.

Edit: Added addendum.

ITB

A little news about SR 39 in Martinsville was reported recently in Martinsville's Reporter Times. As many of you know, SR 39 will be utilized as the official detour route when SR 37 is closed for I-69 construction during the 2021 construction season. According to the article, prior to the closure of SR 37 INDOT is planning to:

- resurface and widen SR 39 to 4 lanes between the SR 37/SR 39 interchange and the railroad tracks just north of the Mitchell Avenue crossing
- add a curb to SR 39 and build infrastructure sewer drainage
- modify the intersection at SR 39 and Morton Avenue to create a two-lane westbound turn
- install a new traffic signal at SR 39 and Burton Lane
- construct new turn lanes at SR 39 and Morgan Street, and build a retaining wall

Work on SR 39 is expected to commence in 2020. State Road 37 will not be closed until the SR 39 upgrade completes. After SR 37 reopens as I-69, SR 39 will be restriped and returned to a two-lane road. INDOT considered making SR 39 four lanes in its entirety in Martinsville, but the cost was deemed prohibitive.

Under the guidelines of fair use, here's a section of the article (unfortunately behind a paywall), which was published January 19, 2019 in the Reporter-Times, and republished January 21 in the Herald-Times:

Quote Portions of Ind. 39 bypass to be four lanes during Ind. 37 construction
By Lance Gideon

MARTINSVILLE – The development of the I-69 extension between Evansville and Indianapolis has been a hot issue in Martinsville as the project pushes further north.

On Friday, Jennifer Goins, an engineer with civil engineering firm HNTB, gave an update on the project during the January meeting of the Greater Martinsville Chamber of Commerce. HNTB is working with the Indiana Department of Transportation on Section 6 of the I-69 project.

"The reason that we wanted to come today is that we have been hearing some different rumors about what INDOT's plan is for Ind. 39,"  Goins said.

The Ind. 39 bypass in Martinsville is expected to accommodate additional traffic while Ind. 37 is closed to be upgraded to interstate standards, a project scheduled to take place in 2021. According to Goins, INDOT will be widening and resurfacing much of the bypass ahead of that.

"For the most part, there will be a good amount of widening,"  she said. "There will be a curb added and some storm sewer infrastructure added."

The additional width will be a temporary configuration during the work that is taking place on Ind. 37.

Link to article: https://www.hoosiertimes.com/herald_times_online/news/local/portions-of-ind-bypass-to-be-four-lanes/article_ca6c373f-843c-5115-b934-b7463d678624.html

I'll be posting a few more photos soon. A quick shout out to those who earlier expressed kind words for my photography. Thank you!

Plutonic Panda

Sorry I know this has been answered before but this is the final project to bridge the gap between Indianapolis?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 22, 2019, 05:09:03 AM
Sorry I know this has been answered before but this is the final project to bridge the gap between Indianapolis?

What construction is about to begin on is the segment around Martinsville.  The last segment will be from Martinsville to I-65 and that is still in the planning stages.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Plutonic Panda

Dang okay. When I saw this won't be starting until 2021, I was hoping that it would be the full remaining gap to I-65 but now I see. Sad that seems a ways off. I do remember reading earlier in this thread the mid 2020s are looking like the targeted completion date. I do wish it was sooner.

GreenLanternCorps

Looking at Google Maps, the Martinsville segment and the North end at I-465 are the challenging portions. 

Most of the in-between sections are a mix of widening the existing road, adding over/underpasses, frontage roads, and interchanges where needed. 

mgk920

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 22, 2019, 01:26:31 PM
Looking at Google Maps, the Martinsville segment and the North end at I-465 are the challenging portions. 

Most of the in-between sections are a mix of widening the existing road, adding over/underpasses, frontage roads, and interchanges where needed.

IIRC, the current plan is for a free-flowing directional 'T' interchange immediately west of the truck stop at I-465/IN 37, with the interchange to be 'piggybacked' over the IN 37 interchange.

Mike

ITB

Here again is the map depicting the proposed design of the I-69/I-465 interchange as well as assorted roadways. This configuration is the design that was included as part of the Tier 2 Environmental Impact Statement, and later the Record of Decision (ROD) of 2018, so this is what it's going to be. It's possible there may be minor tweaks as INDOT moves into the detailed design and construction phases. 

Courtesy INDOT

At a cursory glance the I-69/I-465 interchange, as well as associated projects, including I-465 widening, appear to have all the makings of a time-consuming, challenging build. Note how the eastbound I-465 exit ramp to SR 37 begins at the I-69/I-465 interchange (thin yellow line), goes underneath both the westbound flyover from I-465 to I-69 south and the I-69 northbound ramp to I-465 east, skirts by the quarry, then runs parallel to I-465 eastbound before finally linking into SR 37.

Link to I-69 Section 6 maps: https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2345.htm

Edit: grammar, readability; added material about the I-465 exit ramp to SR 37

Buck87

Is that long westbound I-465 to southbound I-69 flyover planned to be 2 lanes or just 1?

Roadsguy

Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2019, 09:30:00 AM
Is that long westbound I-465 to southbound I-69 flyover planned to be 2 lanes or just 1?

I would be very surprised if it won't be two lanes considering that it carries I-69. I know the whole stretch from Martinsville to Indianapolis won't be six lanes, but will it be six lanes just south of 465? In that case I'd expect all the ramps to be two lanes.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hoosierguy

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 23, 2019, 10:05:42 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2019, 09:30:00 AM

I would be very surprised if it won't be two lanes considering that it carries I-69. I know the whole stretch from Martinsville to Indianapolis won't be six lanes, but will it be six lanes just south of 465? In that case I'd expect all the ramps to be two lanes.

I-69 will be eight lanes from 465 to Southport Road and six lanes to Smith Valley Road.

Life in Paradise

They should request bids for the I-465/I-69 intersection sooner than later.  Since this intersection along with the Martinsville area project are the most intensive, they ought to work on both at the same time.  The Martinsville work will reduce some traffic that has been using I-69 to Indianapolis due to the detour, and that can't hurt in lessening traffic for the intersection and merge into what is now IN-37 south of I-465.  But alas, I don't see INDOT going that way.

IndyAgent

I sure hope they find a way to not make the 465-Harding street exit worse as 69 enters east bound 465 very near that intersection. I know people will use the 69 south ramp to go south but its a lot a traffic in one small area. I could be wrong but it seems that way

silverback1065

Quote from: IndyAgent on January 30, 2019, 03:05:27 PM
I sure hope they find a way to not make the 465-Harding street exit worse as 69 enters east bound 465 very near that intersection. I know people will use the 69 south ramp to go south but its a lot a traffic in one small area. I could be wrong but it seems that way

they won't, you can see that the harding street exit splits off just west of where 69 will enter eb. no weaving issues

mgk920

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 30, 2019, 03:23:28 PM
Quote from: IndyAgent on January 30, 2019, 03:05:27 PM

they won't, you can see that the harding street exit splits off just west of where 69 will enter eb. no weaving issues

Yea, access between Harding and I-69 south will be via other interchanges.

Mike

edwaleni

With so many active quarries around I-465 and the planned I-69 interchange, they should see some fairly cheap materials costs.  Talk about just in time delivery!

thefro

https://www.ibj.com/articles/72271-get-up-to-speed-on-the-last-leg-of-i-69-construction

This article from the Indian Business Journal on I-69 from Feb 1 has a good summary of current info on Sec 6.

ITB

^^^

It's a nice map, but, unfortunately, parts are based on outdated information. There will be no overpass built at Burton Lane in Martinsville. The overpass was eliminated even before the Martinsville Reevalution Meeting of September 17, 2018, when various design changes to the Martinsville segment were presented to the public. And, no, the overpass hasn't been designed back in since then.

***Update: Examining the above map more closely and comparing it to current INDOT Section 6 maps, two additional inaccuracies become evident: (1) there will be no overpass at Big Bend Road in Morgan County; and (2) no overpass will be built at Stones Crossing Road in Johnson County; instead, Stones Crossing will be rerouted south to intersect with SR 144 east of SR 37 (future I-69).***

Map of future I-69/SR 39 interchange area in Martinsville, Indiana

Courtesy INDOT.
Burton Lane is planned to terminate on each side of I-69; no overpass will be built. Plans now are to construct a new local access road between the eastern SR 39 interchange roundabout and Burton Lane.

The IBJ article, referenced above, also states I-69 will be three lanes in each direction between SR 144 and Southport Road. No. The three lanes of I-69 will begin just south of Smith Valley Road. The article goes on the say there will be four lanes of I-69 between Southport Road and I-465. Not entirely correct. There will be four lanes between Southport Road and W. Epler Avenue, of which the forth lane in each direction will be a collector/distributor between the Southport interchange and the partial interchange at Epler. It appears the I-69 ramps to I-465 will total three lanes in each direction (see the map of the proposed I-69/I-465 interchange posted earlier).

While I acknowledge it somewhat challenging to keep up to date about Section 6 of I-69 due to design changes, it's frustrating to see inaccurate information disseminated. Of course, when considering the entirety of the Section 6 project, a single report containing a couple of minor inaccuracies matters little. Still, because inaccuracies often tend to spread and be regarded as factual, extra effort should be undertaken to be as accurate as possible, even in this forum. I certainly try to be. If anyone notices a factual error, however minor, in any of my posts, please take a minute to point it out either in the forum or in a personal message.

Another map of the future I-69/SR 39 interchange in Martinsville, Indiana:

Courtesy INDOT
Depiction of the future I-69/SR 39 interchange presented at the Martinsville Reevaluation Meeting of September 17, 2018. This design is now final. Construction will commence in the spring of 2020. And, to point out again, there is no overpass/underpass planned at Burton Lane (bottom right).

Link to INDOT I-69 Section 6 Maps: https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2345.htm

Edit: Minor wording changes for readability; added second map; added ***Update*** and link to INDOT Section 6 maps..

ITB

A few pre-construction pictures of the SR 37/SR 39 interchange in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were taken November 24, 2018, unless otherwise stated.

[/url]
Signage near the SR 37/SR 39 interchange in Martinsville, just west of the SR 37 mainline; looking northwest. When SR 37 is closed in Martinsville between SR 39 and SR 44 during the 2021 construction season, SR 39/Morton Avenue (the road pictured, left) will be part of the official detour route. On the right is the end of the southbound exit ramp from SR 37.

The underpass carrying the northbound SR 37 ramps to/from SR 39/Morton Ave.; looking southeast.

Looking east from Rogers Road toward the SR 37 southbound off ramp to SR 39/Morton Ave–the view of which is blocked by the car.

Signage just west of SR 37 mainline where Morton Avenue/SR 39 and associated roads meet. On the far left (background) is Rogers Road. There's an asphalt plant down that way that pumped out a lot of material for I-69 Section 5, and is likely do so again as Section 6 ramps up.

Looking north toward SR 39/Morton Avenue from the SR 37/SR 39 interchange.

Edit: Added an additional photo; swapped out a photo for another; minor wording edits.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on February 12, 2019, 04:58:57 PM
^^^

It's a nice map, but, unfortunately, parts are based on outdated information. There will be no overpass built at Burton Lane in Martinsville. The overpass was eliminated even before the Martinsville Reevalution Meeting of September 17, 2018, when various design changes to the Martinsville segment were presented to the public. And, no, the overpass hasn't been designed back in since then.

***Update: Examining the above map more closely and comparing it to current INDOT Section 6 maps, two additional inaccuracies become evident: (1) there will be no overpass at Big Bend Road in Morgan County; and (2) no overpass will be built at Stones Crossing Road in Johnson County; instead, Stones Crossing will be rerouted south to intersect with SR 144 east of SR 37 (future I-69).***

Since you asked for corrections, technically the rerouting of Stones Crossing Rd will intersect Johnson Country Route 144 (former SR 144), east of SR 37 (future I-69). From west to east, the State Route ends at the present signalized intersection and the shielded County Route (one of the very few in Indiana) begins.

silverback1065

they need to put an exit at whiteland road, it connects to 65.

mgk920

Quote from: ITB on February 12, 2019, 04:58:57 PM
Map of future I-69/SR 39 interchange area in Martinsville, Indiana

Courtesy INDOT.
Burton Lane is planned to terminate on each side of I-69; no overpass will be built. Plans now are to construct a new local access road between the eastern SR 39 interchange roundabout and Burton Lane.

The IBJ article, referenced above, also states I-69 will be three lanes in each direction between SR 144 and Southport Road. No. The three lanes of I-69 will begin just south of Smith Valley Road. The article goes on the say there will be four lanes of I-69 between Southport Road and I-465. Not entirely correct. There will be four lanes between Southport Road and W. Epler Avenue, of which the forth lane in each direction will be a collector/distributor between the Southport interchange and the partial interchange at Epler. It appears the I-69 ramps to I-465 will total three lanes in each direction (see the map of the proposed I-69/I-465 interchange posted earlier).

While I acknowledge it somewhat challenging to keep up to date about Section 6 of I-69 due to design changes, it's frustrating to see inaccurate information disseminated. Of course, when considering the entirety of the Section 6 project, a single report containing a couple of minor inaccuracies matters little. Still, because inaccuracies often tend to spread and be regarded as factual, extra effort should be undertaken to be as accurate as possible, even in this forum. I certainly try to be. If anyone notices a factual error, however minor, in any of my posts, please take a minute to point it out either in the forum or in a personal message.

That looks like a neat solution to access on the southeast side of the new highway.  That's one thing that I've always really liked about roundabouts - they allow for amazing amounts of design flexibility in complex intersection situations.

:nod:

The only potential weakness that I can see is a lack of convenient pedestrian/bicycle access across I-69 in the Burton Ln area.  Perhaps this will be a good future local project.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.