News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Smallest Bridges

Started by Sykotyk, March 17, 2011, 07:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykotyk

I just had a general thought that I don't think we've delved into before. We all can talk about the tallest, longest, oldest, etc bridge. But, what about the smallest?

For instance:

A) What is the smallest suspension bridge (that's not simply decorative)
b) Smallest Through Truss bridge?
c) Smallest through arch bridge/arch truss bridge?
d) smallest draw bridge (height of rise--if not swing decks--or drawspan)?

I was down in Louisiana a few days ago clinching the state of parishes, and went over many draw bridges, some were surprisingly narrow and close to the waterway. Never really thought about it before.

I'm sure there's some culverts out there built as absurdly small bridges out there rather than placing a pipe, filling around with dirt, and paving over.

agentsteel53

there's about a 30 foot long suspension bridge crossing a stream in someone's backyard off 395 in Modoc County.  it supports a four foot wide walkway.  probably just a guy who likes tinkering.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

I've seen 20 foot (or less) pony trusses for people's driveways to cross the culvert next to the main road. There's a small suspension bridge in Alaska, actually on my site for AK 98, that only has a single pier it's so small.

US71

Quote from: Sykotyk on March 17, 2011, 07:29:24 PM
I just had a general thought that I don't think we've delved into before. We all can talk about the tallest, longest, oldest, etc bridge. But, what about the smallest?

For instance:

A) What is the smallest suspension bridge (that's not simply decorative)
b) Smallest Through Truss bridge?
c) Smallest through arch bridge/arch truss bridge?
d) smallest draw bridge (height of rise--if not swing decks--or drawspan)?

I was down in Louisiana a few days ago clinching the state of parishes, and went over many draw bridges, some were surprisingly narrow and close to the waterway. Never really thought about it before.

I'm sure there's some culverts out there built as absurdly small bridges out there rather than placing a pipe, filling around with dirt, and paving over.

You might check out Bridgehunter.com . I bet you can find your answers there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

pianocello

Does it count if the river is flooded? If the river gets high enough, it's very possible for the deck to be a few inches underwater, especially for those metal deck bridges.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

Count how? Are you thinking that the water would shrink the bridge?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andytom

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on May 23, 2011, 10:08:45 PM
Count how? Are you thinking that the water would shrink the bridge?

I think the idea is, the rising water would make the bridge's "height" go negative.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

But the height is measured from land, not the water level.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on June 11, 2011, 05:54:33 AM
But the height is measured from land, not the water level.

Not if it's a bridge over a waterway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

For boat clearance, sure. But for engineering purposes it has to be designed as if there were no water (leaving out floating bridges, which will rise with the water level anyway). Thus some of the country's tallest bridges are not that much above the surface of reservoirs.

Or at least that makes more sense than measuring from a possibly fluctuating water level. But my world and the real world don't always coincide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.