News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Average Reply Volume per Topic

Started by webny99, February 15, 2018, 01:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I put this list together, just for my own interest, and thought others might find it interesting too.
I'm honestly not sure which board it's most relevant to, so it can be moved to Off-Topic (or whatever) if need be.

Average Replies Per Topic Started (by Board)
Forum Average — 28.73 replies per topic
1 Travel — 67.78
2 Traffic Control — 59.94
3 Road Related Illustrations* — 57.64
4 Mid-Atlantic — 44.32
5 Northeast — 41.60
6 Weather — 40.46
7 General Highway Talk — 37.98
8 Southeast — 36.01
9 Ohio Valley — 32.14
10 Road Enthusiasts Meetings — 31.93
11 Sports — 31.78
12 Midwest-Great Lakes — 29.98
13 Northwest — 29.82
14 Off-Topic — 28.17
15 Fictional Highways — 27.43
16 Mid-South — 21.97
17 Canada — 18.33
18 Mountain West — 15.81
19 Mass Transit — 15.51
20 Bridges — 15.30
21 Central States — 15.03
22 Suggestions and Questions — 14.94
23 Pacific Southwest — 14.88
24 Photos, Videos, and More — 12.68
25 Road Trips — 12.25
26 International Highways — 11.84
27 Welcome! — 9.75

The top five are all somewhat surprising. I noticed that the sign threads and picture challenges move Traffic Control way up the list, when it would otherwise be around 30 replies on average. Also, looking at the bottom two, I feel bad for new users from other countries :-D

*Road-Related Illustrations used to be a single thread before it received its own board. Obviously, though that thread is now in the new board, I didn't include it in the calculations as it would skewer the results.

adventurernumber1

These are some interesting statistics. Thank you for putting in the work and effort to collect this data!  :nod:

Most of these make a lot of sense to me, but I am the most surprised by the Travel board taking the top spot. Even with the "Oil / Gas Prices" thread skewing the data in that subforum, I am still baffled that Travel's average replies-per-topic statistic is so high.  :wow:  :-o

I would have thought for sure that Traffic Control would have taken the top spot by far (even though it is still in second place). It is very interesting stuff indeed!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Those are some interesting top 3. Maybe because I don't frequent Road Related Illustrations too often -- I need to get back to some threads I have over there!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 15, 2018, 03:25:26 PM
Most of these make a lot of sense to me, but I am the most surprised by the Travel board taking the top spot. Even with the "Oil / Gas Prices" thread skewing the data in that subforum, I am still baffled that Travel's average replies-per-topic statistic is so high.  :wow:  :-o

The other thing about the Travel Board is that it is one of the newer boards. It has fewer topics than any other board, so maybe the small sample size skewers the results. I was still surprised by it, though. I even re-ran the calculation, just to be sure.

These were easy to calculate - just divide the two numbers shown on the forum's home page.

Roadgeekteen

Nobody cares about International roads. A shame indeed.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Interesting to see all the usual suspects reply four times consecutively about statistics.  :rolleyes:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2018, 09:44:32 PM
Interesting to see all the usual suspects reply four times consecutively about statistics.  :rolleyes:
Might as well embrace it! He's not going away! :pan: :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 15, 2018, 09:51:13 PM

I never said that anyone should go nor suggested as such.  What I was hoping to convey was that these statistic posts are long in tooth and not aging well.  Threads like this that are really driving down the quality content on this forum and its getting really frustrating.  I'm probably not helping the matter replying here but I figured that I'd throw my two cents out there. 

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2018, 09:58:21 PM

I never said that anyone should go nor suggested as such.  What I was hoping to convey was that these statistic posts are long in tooth and not aging well.  Threads like this that are really driving down the quality content on this forum and its getting really frustrating.  I'm probably not helping the matter replying here but I figured that I'd throw my two cents out there.
Fair point. I will with this stop contributing to these threads -- no hard feelings. :coffee:

webny99

Help me understand WHY you think it's impacting post quality? It's interesting!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 10:41:48 PM

To you.

To most of the rest of us, it's the fluff that I just "mark all as read" when I'm done reading what I'm actually interested in. You know, stuff that's actually about roads.

DaBigE

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 15, 2018, 07:09:31 PM
The location of the membership at-large is the likely cause. Unless you're immersed in it, there are likely more pressing topics.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

adventurernumber1

For me personally, after an exchange of insightful PM's with him, I learned about webny99's intense love for statistics, and then I began to understand why he did some things (such as creating threads devoted to statistics, such as this one). I, too, find statistics interesting (even the ones on this forum), but I am definitely not anywhere remotely near the level of his interest in it.

However, after seeing this post by Scott5114 in this thread, I have begun to understand why to be wary of doing such things, which I did not know before. As a result, I'd say, as some constructive criticism, that it may be time to put the nail in the coffin for the statistics threads from now on, webny99.

You can create this data on your own and for yourself, but now I am aware of and am telling you that it may be best to not make these threads anymore in the future.

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 10:41:48 PM

It is indeed quite interesting (at least to me, a few others in the minority, but mainly, especially you), but after reading Scott's post, I do now see how it could in fact ultimately have an impact on post quality. He stated that if the statistics information is flaunted too much, then people may abuse it and try to make insane numbers of very low-quality posts just to achieve something huge in the statistics. It is probably best to let the statistics run its course, and they might be privately observed after doing the necessary calculations (because I am willing to bet that the people who would do something like abuse the statistics would also not be motivated to do said calculations and see the results themselves).

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 10:56:11 PM
For whatever it's worth, a plurality of my threads (and posts) are in General Highway Talk. You (and Max, and Scott, and so on) have responded to plenty of them, too.

Yes indeed. We shall not forget that a lot of (probably most of) webny99's content (posts and threads) remains in the road-related boards (especially General Highway Talk). It has only been a few things here and there that were statistics-related.  ;-)

Quote from: DaBigE on February 15, 2018, 10:54:19 PM
The location of the membership at-large is the likely cause. Unless you're immersed in it, there are likely more pressing topics.

Yes indeed. Since I believe the majority of members on this forum live in the United States and Canada, international highway talk is not in high quantity on here for that simple fact. International Highways are definitely interesting as well, it's just us Americans and Canadians usually (at least me) don't know that much about them, compared to the roads in our home country.  ;-)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 16, 2018, 02:06:55 AM

Yes indeed. Since I believe the majority of members on this forum live in the United States and Canada, international highway talk is not in high quantity on here for that simple fact. International Highways are definitely interesting as well, it's just us Americans and Canadians usually (at least me) don't know that much about them, compared to the roads in our home country.  ;-)

It would certainly be very kind of us to take more of an interest in International Highways. Too "un-American" though  ;-)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2018, 07:37:40 AM

It would certainly be very kind of us to take more of an interest in International Highways. Too "un-American" though  ;-)

WTF?

formulanone

Never mind the location of roughly 95% of our membership, most of us do not have the time to post 2-3 new topics a day, with careers and activities and lives and so forth...

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2018, 07:49:06 AM
It would certainly be very kind of us to take more of an interest in International Highways. Too "un-American" though [/s]

WTF?

Oh. Whoops. Fixed  :D

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2018, 08:01:06 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2018, 07:49:06 AM
It would certainly be very kind of us to take more of an interest in International Highways. Too "un-American" though [/s]

WTF?

Oh. Whoops. Fixed  :D

In your defence, I thought the winky face was pretty clear.

US71

Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2018, 07:58:31 AM
Quote from: formulanone on February 16, 2018, 07:51:50 AM
Never mind the location of roughly 95% of our membership, most of us do not have the time to post 2-3 new topics a day, with careers and activities and lives and so forth...

Did I infer that taking an interest in International Highways involved starting 2-3 new topics per day?  :hmmm:

Given your frequency of posts,  you must have no life &/or you are looking for ways to be annoying &/or you're trying to bump your post count
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on February 16, 2018, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 16, 2018, 07:58:31 AM
Quote from: formulanone on February 16, 2018, 07:51:50 AM

Did I infer that taking an interest in International Highways involved starting 2-3 new topics per day?  :hmmm:

Given your frequency of posts,  you must have no life &/or you are looking for ways to be annoying &/or you're trying to bump your post count
WHen did this thread turn into a roast session?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.