News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite breed of cat

Started by index, November 07, 2018, 12:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I adopted a Siamese kitten a few months ago. She isn't vocal at all.

Nexus 5X

wolfiefrick

Red tabbies are strikingly gorgeous. Here's my red tabby; I took this picture of him a few months ago. He's 5 years old.

jakeroot

I used to have a Persian tabby...ran away Halloween ~2008. Never did see or hear from him again, but I'll be damned if he wasn't the best cat I ever owned. Probably long dead now, if he wasn't eaten by a coyote as we all think he was.

index

Quote from: wolfiefrick on November 27, 2018, 02:02:18 AM
Red tabbies are strikingly gorgeous. Here's my red tabby; I took this picture of him a few months ago. He's 5 years old.

[snipped image]

I used to have one of those beauties. Unfortunately, he died in 2013 after getting some sort of feline autoimmune disease. He was so sick we couldn't even let him in the house -- have you ever seen a cat sneeze and get snot everywhere? All the time? It's incredibly unsightly and I didn't even know a cat could do that. I felt pretty bad about that.

I don't know how old he was considering he was a feral cat when he had just showed up at my house in 2008 or 2009, but when he died he looked pretty old. He had always been an outdoor cat and couldn't stand to be cooped up inside, he'd grow irritable if he wasn't outside at least once a day, and he preferred to live outside for often weeks at a time, lingering around the house instead of staying inside.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

roadman

I never considered breed.  The only common trait I noted in all the cats I've taken in over the years (abandoned pets, cats that relatives had to give up due to moves, etc.) was that they were all American Shorthairs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bugo

MNHighwayMan

This is now a cat pictures thread.

Suki laying under the lid to her litter box. I had taken it off to clean, and she took up residence in it.

Tiny laying in the morning sunbeam, on a perch near the window.

Floof on the back of the couch.

bugo

1995hoo

This cat showed up outside on our deck in July 2014. My wife fed it and, not surprisingly, it's been coming almost every day ever since. We can't get near it–runs away and jumps over to our neighbors' deck if we do much as unlock the door. The cat even seems intimidated by the squirrels at times. We therefore named the cat Fraidy. I believe the cat is a feral that's been trapped, fixed, and released, this because of the tipped left ear combined with the fear of human contact (plus nobody responded to flyers when we first saw it).

(How did I get such a close-up picture? This is a crop of a picture taken through the window.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: bugo on December 14, 2018, 10:12:17 AM
Lying*

You're not wrong (I use laying/lying interchangeably), but I'm curious as to why you decided to point that out.

Bonus! Three of the four stray cats in my neighborhood that I feed on occasion. They come by some mornings and if I'm home and awake, I'll put some kibble out. Can't leave it out, though, because last time I did, I found a raccoon feasting away.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 14, 2018, 10:38:49 AM

Quote from: bugo on December 14, 2018, 10:12:17 AM
Lying*

You're not wrong (I use laying/lying interchangeably), but I'm curious as to why you decided to point that out.

Probably just thinking of the children.

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
lay
verb
14 often vulgar : to copulate with
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 14, 2018, 10:38:49 AM
Bonus! Three of the four stray cats in my neighborhood that I feed on occasion. They come by some mornings and if I'm home and awake, I'll put some kibble out. Can't leave it out, though, because last time I did, I found a raccoon feasting away.

On a contrary note, when I lived in Portland (OR), I had a family of raccoons (mom and at least 2 litters of kids during my time there) living under my front porch; if I got home after dark, I'd find mom sitting on the porch -- and she'd scurry off when I approached, of course.  I eventually would put any stale remainders of sourdough bread loaves out for her; the first time I did that, she instinctively took it down to the creek to wash it -- with the expected results -- but being reasonably intelligent, she didn't make that mistake again!  We lived in a wooded area off I-5 and Taylors Ferry, and there was quite a mix of local fauna that showed up on the property (including a deer or two).  Didn't have a cat then -- but our next-door neighbor did -- and gave the raccoons an understandably wide berth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.