News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 02, 2015, 06:52:28 PM
NJ drivers are a mess. During my trip to AC two months ago, returning home by getting onto I-78 west 13 miles east of the PA line, everyone was going all New Yorker on us. My dad (driver) ragequit and hit the gas, then went New Yorker style on everyone else. Then relaxed when we got into PA. I think in five years, when I get my license, I should probably start driving as a New Jersey guy.
Sounds like a typical PA driver - goes slow in the left lane and gets passed by everyone, then suddenly randomly speeds up and goes too fast and cuts everyone off. Then goes slowly again.

ekt8750

Quote from: Alps on September 03, 2015, 12:35:22 AM
NJ drivers are a mess. During my trip to AC two months ago, returning home by getting onto I-78 west 13 miles east of the PA line, everyone was going all New Yorker on us. My dad (driver) ragequit and hit the gas, then went New Yorker style on everyone else. Then relaxed when we got into PA. I think in five years, when I get my license, I should probably start driving as a New Jersey guy.
Sounds like a typical PA driver - goes slow in the left lane and gets passed by everyone, then suddenly randomly speeds up and goes too fast and cuts everyone off. Then goes slowly again.

Those usually hail from parts west of Lancaster and north of Allentown. I don't get how hard it is to figure out "Keep Right, Pass Left". It's fairly simple to follow. Our state troopers in the Philly area at least will clear the left lane of slower traffic if they need to.

roadman65

Down in Florida we get em all.  NY, NJ, PA, MI, and other tourists because of the warn weather and the mouse.  They all love to make turns from the wrong lane instead of going up the road and u turning back to the desired turn location.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 03, 2015, 02:10:42 PM

Those usually hail from parts west of Lancaster and north of Allentown. I don't get how hard it is to figure out "Keep Right, Pass Left". It's fairly simple to follow. Our state troopers in the Philly area at least will clear the left lane of slower traffic if they need to.

Oh, there's plenty in the Philadelphia area. And not enough troopers to clear them out.  And then they all come to Jersey and do it here.

Rothman

For all the hills in Pennsylvania, you'd think PA drivers would know that you have to apply more gas to maintain your speed...

...but they don't.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 03, 2015, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on September 03, 2015, 02:10:42 PM

Oh, there's plenty in the Philadelphia area. And not enough troopers to clear them out.  And then they all come to Jersey and do it here.
my commute agrees with you wholeheartedly - ~65 miles of idiocy in Philly and Bucks on a daily basis.

roadman65

Just to change the subject a bit, although I agree with NJ drivers being aggressive, and yes I used to live in New Jersey years ago and I am saying it not because I am no longer a resident or being shamed to admit I used to live there, but facts are they are.

Anyway, I was on GSV following US 202 north of NJ 23 in Wayne and noticed that many US 202 shields are missing.  The NORTH header and arrows are there but at many places, especially at Ratzer Road and where US 202 leaves the Hamburg Turnpike to head north toward Oakland and Mahwah the shields themselves are missing.

I guess we have someone either obsessed with US 202 shields that they stole them, or maybe NJDOT is finally asking AASHTO to decommission it through that part of the state, which I think if that were the case it would be a topic on here.

I have seen shields get stolen, but not in multiple places and in the same direction.   Unfortunately, GSV now does not post the capture date anymore and that could be years ago the car was even there.  Therefore it all could be at different moments of time that both locations (and others) were captured, however unlikely. This is really unusual I must say.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Some New Jersey business leaders realize that funds for road spending needs to be a higher priority... and that we should have "lower taxes than North Carolina":

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/at_nj_business_summit_continued_calls_for_transpor.html#incart_river

Have you even SEEN how bad people in the eastern portion of your state drive? The only thing worse in the area are New Yorkers.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

odditude

yes, we all hate "Pennsy drivers." the bane of my commute is people who stay in the left lane and cruise at a decent speed until it's time to actually pass someone, at which time they hover at the other car's back corner for two or three minutes before crawling past them and then accelerating back up to cruising speed. grrraaarrgh.

jeffandnicole

Because the state is so small and doesn't have nearly the population of PA & NY, Delaware drivers don't get noticed too often.  But, when they are in NJ, guaranteed they are clogging up the left lane, running red lights, and just being a menace to others on the road.  During my years in college then working in Delaware, based on my observations I half-heartedly joked that Delaware state law mandates at least 2 cars must run the red light. I know one day I really ran a red light...not one of those 'it just turned red', but it was blatantly red.  A cop was right there.  He didn't even bat an eye.

Rothman

I don't know why New Yorkers get a bad rap.  The last few times that I've driven in the City, drivers actually showed more courtesy than they do Upstate (i.e., letting you in when you turn on your blinker, letting the merge "zipper," etc.).  Connecticut drivers are much worse.  Makes me wonder if people drive into New York, get cut off by one of those over-insured jerks from Connecticut and then blame New Yorkers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on September 18, 2015, 01:59:52 PM
I don't know why New Yorkers get a bad rap.  The last few times that I've driven in the City, drivers actually showed more courtesy than they do Upstate (i.e., letting you in when you turn on your blinker, letting the merge "zipper," etc.).  Connecticut drivers are much worse.  Makes me wonder if people drive into New York, get cut off by one of those over-insured jerks from Connecticut and then blame New Yorkers.

I agree completely. Western New York drivers are miserable. Don't let you in, don't use the turn signal and just dart over without any form of hint, believe right on red has the right of way, don't stop for red lights and stop signs, etc. There might be a lot of traffic downstate, but people are typically good drivers. If they weren't, they'd be killed. Jersey drivers (at least from North Jersey) aren't usually all that bad, either (for the same reasons). It's the Boston drivers that are crazy. I saw somewhere that Massachusetts has significantly more accidents by some measure than any other state and I'd believe it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

When they're in NJ, they sit in the left lane.  Forever. 

If there was a gigantic sinkhole in the left lane leading down to the fiery basin of hell below, and the options were:  A) Get out of the Left Lane, or B) Drive into the hole, they wouldn't give it a second thought and drive directly into the hole.

spooky

I grew up in southern New England, and I've always made this differentiation regarding drivers in the three states:

Massachusetts drivers are fearless.
Connecticut drivers are reckless.
Rhode Island drivers are clueless.

Now to keep on topic with New Jersey, I noticed during a recent trip down the GSP that New Jersey drivers love to change multiple lanes at once. Coming up on the exit gore and you're in the third lane? No problem, dart right over!

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2015, 01:38:01 PM
Because the state is so small and doesn't have nearly the population of PA & NY, Delaware drivers don't get noticed too often.  But, when they are in NJ, guaranteed they are clogging up the left lane, running red lights, and just being a menace to others on the road.  During my years in college then working in Delaware, based on my observations I half-heartedly joked that Delaware state law mandates at least 2 cars must run the red light. I know one day I really ran a red light...not one of those 'it just turned red', but it was blatantly red.  A cop was right there.  He didn't even bat an eye.

From my experience Delaware cops will give you that time between when your light turns red til the other road's turns green. I've actually have gotten a horn honked at me for not running the light before.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2015, 02:35:26 PM

When they're in NJ, they sit in the left lane.  Forever. 

If there was a gigantic sinkhole in the left lane leading down to the fiery basin of hell below, and the options were:  A) Get out of the Left Lane, or B) Drive into the hole, they wouldn't give it a second thought and drive directly into the hole.

Nah, those are Ohioans.  Can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind an Ohioan who clogs up the left lane.

At least on the Thruway, I've seen most people move over eventually (i.e., a slow poke might pull over to pass a slower poke, but they'll move over once the pass is done).

Rothman

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 18, 2015, 02:50:08 PM

From my experience Delaware cops will give you that time between when your light turns red til the other road's turns green. I've actually have gotten a horn honked at me for not running the light before.

If someone honked at me for not running the light, I'd just laugh.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 18, 2015, 02:50:08 PM

New York west of I-390 is the same. I've gotten rear-ended on more than one occasion because I didn't run the light.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

For me I have seen guys behind me expect me to go through the light, but at the same time the guy in front of me stops prematurely for the red light with most of the time he is already to a complete stop when the light turns red.  You would figure that a lot of rear end collisions would take place at signals more, but they do not.

This all is in Orange County, FL and also Kissimmee, FL where both areas love to install new photo cops everyday.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

An astounding amount of them feel the need to blow by me in the left lane when I'm already doing 5 above the speed limit. Then they never leave it until they need to exit, in which case they will cut across however-extra-lanes-there-are without the slightest regard for the people behind them. They also seem to not comprehend the concept of what yielding is.

I don't see too many Delawareans in New Jersey, but when I was in Delaware a whole mess of them were crack drivers. Made me quite happy to cross into Maryland, where that seemed to dissipate.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Then they wonder why we have weaving issues.  It's the same on arterials too.  You have a guy blow by everybody in the left lane and then after they realize where they are and need to make a right turn, they just make if from the left lane without regard to any other motorists in how many other lanes are to the right of them.   

The same for left turns, just make it from any lane is the norm. Forget you can make a u turn later to return to the intersection, just do it. 

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: Zeffy on September 18, 2015, 07:44:59 PM

An astounding amount of them feel the need to blow by me in the left lane when I'm already doing 5 above the speed limit.

Does this hurt your feelings? :D

Zeffy

Quote from: Rothman on September 18, 2015, 08:17:01 PM
Does this hurt your feelings? :D

No, because sweet revenge was to be had when an idiot doing what I described passed a lurking cop and the cop promptly turned his lights and sirens on... and he had to pull over.

machias

I miss the county identification scheme of the New York license plates, it made it much easier to know what part of the state to swear at when the drivers on the Thruway were being stupid. On the other hand, it was my experience that if there was a car off the road and into the median in the wintertime on the Thruway somewhere between Utica and Albany, they would have Jersey tags.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on September 18, 2015, 07:44:59 PM
An astounding amount of them feel the need to blow by me in the left lane when I'm already doing 5 above the speed limit. Then they never leave it until they need to exit, in which case they will cut across however-extra-lanes-there-are without the slightest regard for the people behind them. They also seem to not comprehend the concept of what yielding is.

Isn't 5 above the limit still considered below the speed limit??  :spin:

At least on the 65 mph highways, I tend to believe 80 and above is what gets one noticed.  In a 55 zone, 70 or 75 will get one noticed. 

"When I'm already doing 5 above the speed limit"...that would be nearly the entire population going at least that speed!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.