News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-270 in one fell swoop

Started by zachary_amaryllis, December 21, 2023, 06:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Certainly it can be debated whether or not I got all of 270, since I bailed at the Central Park exit. But, it's nothing but onramp to I-70 past there, so I say I got it all. Nyah.

Sort of related: The song by REM that plays on this.. for some reason, got welded in my mind to this road when I was a kid. Might have been the first time I heard it.

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 21, 2023, 06:20:18 AM
Sort of related: The song by REM that plays on this.. for some reason, got welded in my mind to this road when I was a kid. Might have been the first time I heard it.

"Can't Get There from Here" definitely has roadgeek relevance. It's the first song I ever heard from REM. Might still be my favorite of theirs.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

My least favorite, but relatively useful, highway in Colorado.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 21, 2023, 12:39:12 PM

See, since most of my friends live either in Aurora, or NE Denver in general, this becomes an immensely handy road for me... that seems to get little respect, given that it's pounded to shreds for a good part of the way.
clinched:

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 22, 2023, 04:46:54 AM

See, since most of my friends live either in Aurora, or NE Denver in general, this becomes an immensely handy road for me... that seems to get little respect, given that it's pounded to shreds for a good part of the way.

Yeah, it's mostly the constant traffic jam and the road condition. It's not exactly the most scenic either going through refinery-land.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 22, 2023, 10:14:12 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 22, 2023, 04:46:54 AM

Yeah, it's mostly the constant traffic jam and the road condition. It's not exactly the most scenic either going through refinery-land.
Returning from that trip, I ran up on stopped traffic just shy of Vasquez, so I bailed there, and took 85. Scenery is in the eye of the beholder. When I made the video, part of my mission was showing, it's not all stoners and snowboarders out here.

I just can't imagine what that creek that flows through all that, is like. Sand Creek.
clinched:

tigerwings

I rarely used I-270 when I lived in Aurora,  but when I did it felt like I was back in Detroit.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: tigerwings on December 24, 2023, 08:48:59 AM
I rarely used I-270 when I lived in Aurora,  but when I did it felt like I was back in Detroit.

When I was oh .. 15 or so, my stepdad was a drywaller, and during the summer, I worked with him for some extra money. Probably the best shape I've ever been in, in my life.

Anyway, we were working in what was then, the Stouffer Concourse Hotel, on the west side of Quebec. Weird vertical-wedge-shaped building, near the Smith Road overpass. During that time, we were living more or less where I do now, so we would take 270 daily. Probably where I heard the song.

Personally, I miss the old configuration - the hard 15mph right, to get on 76 for like 1/4 mile, before hitting 270. But that's nostalgia, not practicality.

And then it hits me: In the beforetimes, one exited onto 76, to get to 270. Now, we exit onto 270, to get on 76.

Thanks, you guys, for at least taking a look. The Crash it guy, gave me the idea, tho I try not to drive like ... him. It's actually fun to make these. Stay tuned - I got a drone for Christmas.
clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.