News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 06:52:58 AM
For me, while the autoplay option is removed, it acts like it's off.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 87 (NC-VA)
Last post by cowboy_wilhelm - Today at 06:12:28 AM
General Highway Talk / Re: "Highways" that are actual...
Last post by DandyDan - Today at 05:38:25 AM
Will County, IL between Joliet and New Lenox has an Illinois Highway. I always found myself amused when we passed that road on our way to my uncle's former house.

My original thought was Airline Highway in Waterloo, IA, but that one was formerly in the Iowa Highway system. Both times I drove it, it didn't seem worthy of being called a highway, though.
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by Chris - Today at 04:02:54 AM
https://www.txdot.gov/projects/projects-studies/wichita-falls/i35-cooke-county.html

You can download the schematics here.

They're not only going to expand the freeway, but they're also improving the geometry and curvature.

For example at the bridge across the Red River:
270 adds 5 mi to your trip. Not the end of the world, but I think the idea is to provide alternatives so everybody doesn't end up on the same highway and to simplify what they are doing at the split. Too late now, just thinking these alternatives would be cheaper and less complicated to pull off.

Not everybody is using I-70 for local traffic. Some people just want to buzz through on their way west. That's why I was thinking OH 104 could have been used like express lanes to avoid downtown traffic.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Delaware
Last post by Alex4897 - Today at 01:19:02 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 02, 2024, 06:15:31 PMMaybe Alex4897 can find signage plans to see if DE 10 will be rerouted onto the East and West Camden Bypass.

EAST CAMDEN BYPASS has been awarded

Seems as though it will. It looks like the entire bypass is going to carry both the SR 10 designation and Willow Grove Road across US 13 to Lebanon Road and SR 10's current alignment.

The rest of the plans show signage going up for SR 10 along the bypass and old SR 10 signage being removed along the current alignment.

DelDOT plans to widen US 13 between the Puncheon Run Connector and Walnut Shade Road in the near-ish future, but this project won't be including that work within its scope. It seems as though the intention is to add the 3rd lanes on the inside of US 13, so theoretically they'll be able to come back through and add those thru lanes at a later date without having to tear the entire intersections apart again.

EDIT - Also of note, I found a recently closed Request For Proposals for the SR 1 widening project between the mall and Tybouts Corner. It's nice to see that project is getting some attention again after going radio silent for the past few years.

EDIT AGAIN - The contract for the I-295 widening from the I-95 split also just went out, so construction should kick off here soon to fix that bottleneck. Some massive 6-lane APLs will be installed for the larger split.

Unfortunately the speed limit is still going to be capped at a universally ignored 50MPH thanks to the DRBA.
Pacific Southwest / Re: 🛣 Headlines About Californ...
Last post by pderocco - Today at 01:03:16 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2024, 09:30:55 AMWasn't the Route Fire north from there up on Golden State Highway?  It isn't as though this project is going to demolish Pyramid Dam and reopen Piru Gorge for thru-traffic.  That actually would make for a solid alternative to I-5 towards the Tejon Pass area.

Coming south, a couple of times I've encountered a traffic jam on the 5 Mile Grade, and gotton off at the truck brake check area, where there's a sneak path onto the old Golden State Highway.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2024, 09:30:55 AMIronically the Old Ridge Route is open as a normal road between Old Highway and Templin Highway.  Usually that is enough to get past problems in the Castaic area.  The actual standing alternative to I-5 to CA 138 right now involved using San Francisquito Canyon Road.
Do you think that's better than Lake Hughes Road?
Pacific Southwest / Re: 🛣 Headlines About Californ...
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:59:04 AM
Quote from: cahwyguy on May 02, 2024, 07:57:26 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2024, 02:41:57 AMI thought they couldn't widen roads anymore in California because of the VMT crap.

You're thinking Caltrans. The Old Road is either county or city of Santa Clarita.
Ahah! All we road lovers have to do is get the counties to build nice new roads alongside the freeways. How about next to CA-91 through Santa Ana Canyon to start with? Caltrans can pound sand.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:54:47 AM
The glaring problem I see is that you can no longer get onto 99 NB from Ming, and then get off at 58 EB. You have to go west to Mohawk on 58, north to California on 99, or south to White Ln on 99, and then turn around. That's on top of the inconvenience that Truxton is connected to 58 but not 99, and California to 99 but not 58, so there's no easy connection between north 99 and west 58.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by pderocco - Today at 12:36:08 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.
I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.