News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyshark64

I used to refuse to drive the Mackinac Bridge, but I've conquered that demon and then some.  I've drive it now like it's no big thing, although I still need to listen to my comfort music.  But I've done the Mackinac Bridge Walk in 2019, 2021 and 2022.

I was looking forward to conquering the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida in February, except I had to detour on my way into St. Pete.  My dad admitted to me only recently that that bridge gave him the heebie-jeebies when he drove on it when we vacationed down there in 1989.

Flint1979

Quote from: kennyshark64 on June 09, 2023, 08:49:01 AM
I used to refuse to drive the Mackinac Bridge, but I've conquered that demon and then some.  I've drive it now like it's no big thing, although I still need to listen to my comfort music.  But I've done the Mackinac Bridge Walk in 2019, 2021 and 2022.

I was looking forward to conquering the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida in February, except I had to detour on my way into St. Pete.  My dad admitted to me only recently that that bridge gave him the heebie-jeebies when he drove on it when we vacationed down there in 1989.
When I start at the Mackinac Bridge I put on The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald by the late great Gordon Lightfoot, as I start I put the cruise at 45 mph which is the Mackinac Bridge speed limit and soak in the moment every time it still sends chills down my spine to drive across it. The Wreck Of the Edmund Fitzgerald ends about as I'm slowing down for the toll booth, perfect timing and listening to that song with two of the Great Lakes within view is the best.

loosegravel

The scariest bridge I had to drive over was the "Rainbow Bridge" in Orange County, TX.   This was back in the 1980s. 

My supervisor at the time was too scared to drive it in our work truck, so I had to take the wheel.   :-D

According to Wikipedia:

Veterans Memorial Bridge
In 1988, construction began on the Veterans Memorial Bridge, a cable-stayed bridge. This bridge runs parallel to the Rainbow Bridge, and was dedicated on September 8, 1990. With a vertical clearance of 143 feet (44 m), the bridge is somewhat shorter than its neighbor and has 640 feet (200 m) long main span.

After the completion of the Veterans Memorial Bridge, the Rainbow Bridge was closed for renovations. On its re-opening in 1997, the Rainbow Bridge became one way, handling westbound traffic only. The Veterans Memorial Bridge serves eastbound traffic.

Max Rockatansky

Doesn't letting someone else drive usually just make the effects of vertigo worse?

loosegravel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2024, 09:54:40 AM
Doesn't letting someone else drive usually just make the effects of vertigo worse?

I dunno but I do recall that my supervisor basically was looking down towards the floorboard and had his hand up by his forehead.   :-D

I will admit that I had a tight grip on the steering wheel and my focus was straight ahead.  My head nor eyes never ventured from the lane ahead.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2021, 12:08:11 AM
The only bridge I thought I'd cross on a whim, but then decided not to was the Tunnel Road bridge across the Deerfield River near the Hoosac Tunnel's east portal.

Probably should have just crossed it.  Don't really know why I chickened out.
Yep, still the only bridge I chickened out on.

99.99% of bridges just aren't scary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2024, 09:54:40 AM

Closing your eyes is only an option if you're not the driver.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Robinsml

Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct was disturbing, especially after the Nisqually earthquake of 2001. Seeing those steel reinforcements bolted on would make a person think twice.

The Grace Memorial Bridge over the Cooper River in Charleston, SC was interesting. Not a lot of lane width on that bridge!

The US-377/SH-99 bridge over the Washita River south of Tishomingo, OK was in dire need of repair before a flood put it out of its misery in 2015. I drove over that bridge daily while I was in college, and it seemed to get worse every day. There were a few more county bridges in the area (Mannsville and Greasy Bend) that looked like they were from another era.

Rothman

Quote from: Robinsml on March 15, 2024, 11:25:41 PM
Seattle's Alaskan Way Viaduct was disturbing, especially after the Nisqually earthquake of 2001. Seeing those steel reinforcements bolted on would make a person think twice.

Reinforcements make the bridge stronger...

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on April 08, 2023, 07:04:56 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 06, 2023, 12:34:13 AM
I used to not be afraid of the Chesapeake Bay Bridges (US 50-301), and part of the reason I took it was to spite all the people who were afraid of them. The other part was that there were sometimes places I wanted to go along US 301 in Delaware or that part of Maryland.

After seeing this video, I might become one of the people afraid of that bridge now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5yV-DPOBc

I kept waiting for something to happen. A semi in the middle lane that didn't belong there, but it was keeping in its lane. I've encountered similar drivers who can't read, but it looked like any of literally hundreds of crossings I've done.

Then when he came off the bridge I found myself thinking that going 75 mph on Kent Island is an easy way to get a hefty ticket, especially driving a truck.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hunty2022

I went on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge twice before, neither of those scared me.

The scariest bridge I've been on is the US 50 Ocean City Bridge. That was only somewhat scary when I crossed it by foot.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Max Rockatansky

A lot of bridges that are interesting seemingly are seemingly being construed as "scary" in this thread.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2024, 01:54:35 PM
A lot of bridges that are interesting seemingly are seemingly being construed as "scary" in this thread.
wut

PColumbus73

Not so much scary as tense was driving across the old Goethals Bridge due to the narrow lanes. Also, the ramp from the Verrazzano Bridge to the Belt Pkwy for the same reason.

Rothman

Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 23, 2024, 10:43:29 AM
Not so much scary as tense was driving across the old Goethals Bridge due to the narrow lanes. Also, the ramp from the Verrazzano Bridge to the Belt Pkwy for the same reason.
Just drove that ramp this past weekend...again.  No big deal.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2024, 07:58:52 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 23, 2024, 10:43:29 AMNot so much scary as tense was driving across the old Goethals Bridge due to the narrow lanes. Also, the ramp from the Verrazzano Bridge to the Belt Pkwy for the same reason.
Just drove that ramp this past weekend...again.  No big deal.
That bridge has never scared me either.

WhyLifeIs4

Probably the Mackinac Bridge since its the only long bridge I have driven over but to me it isn't that scary.
Cliniched every Wisconsin State highway except the entirety of WI-16

I will be in Kerryville for the Eclipse!

:bigass:

Voyager

I drive across the San Mateo Bridge often, and while it's a fairly boring bridge, in high winds it gets scary real quick. You'd think the high rise section, but no the causeway makes your car feel like its going to blow into San Francisco Bay.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

kkt

The old Evergreen Point Bridge, SR 520 from Seattle to Medina.  Narrow lines, no shoulders, in high winds waves would wash into the traffic lanes - they'd close it when that happened, but only after the first few cars had a special car wash, no extra charge.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kkt on March 26, 2024, 03:02:46 PMThe old Evergreen Point Bridge, SR 520 from Seattle to Medina.  Narrow lines, no shoulders, in high winds waves would wash into the traffic lanes - they'd close it when that happened, but only after the first few cars had a special car wash, no extra charge.

How does that compare to NY 25 between East Marion and Orient?

roadman65

https://youtu.be/v-B3j83ozJk?si=uehEePegZfUfNR-Z
Here are people who won't drive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland.

A special ride share drives the bridge for them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 26, 2024, 10:43:41 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 26, 2024, 03:02:46 PMThe old Evergreen Point Bridge, SR 520 from Seattle to Medina.  Narrow lines, no shoulders, in high winds waves would wash into the traffic lanes - they'd close it when that happened, but only after the first few cars had a special car wash, no extra charge.

How does that compare to NY 25 between East Marion and Orient?

I don't know, I've never been on NY 25.

roadwaywiz95

Please join me for a special edition Webinar presentation on Friday 4/5 at 6 PM ET. It will feature a comprehensive examination of the Francis Scott Key Bridge disaster of March 26, 2024. Included will be a discussion of the history of the bridge, the circumstances surrounding its collapse, and the immediate recovery and salvage efforts already underway. We'll also be looking ahead at what to expect from a potential future replacement crossing over the next few years.

Link to Key Bridge Webinar:
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Max Rockatansky

Some that probably get interesting during flood season in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Acton Grade Bridge at the East Fork Chowchilla River

IMG_0038 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Michigan Bar Road Bridge at the Cosumnes River

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.