News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highpointing and Peakbagging

Started by cl94, July 23, 2018, 11:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

A pretty popular (but related) hobby somewhat related to clinching roads/counties is peakbagging, which is climbing mountains on a list. Some of the more well-known lists are the Adirondack High Peaks, the New England Hundred Highest, and Colorado Fourteeners. A subset of peakbagging is highpointing (visiting the highest point of counties/states). I've been an avid hiker most of my life and, relatively recently, I have expanded my clinching to mountains and high points. In many cases, I've used highpointing and peakbagging as an excuse to roadgeek and I like to combine the two when possible. On more than one occasion, I bagged new counties while on a highpointing trip and I often clinch roads as a part of it.

Is anybody else on here a highpointer or interested in completing lists of mountains? To people unfamiliar with roadgeeking, I've used highpointing as a way to explain clinching roads.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

I probably have a pretty decent list of high peaks I've been too given that I'm an active hiker.  That said my personal high point would be Pikes Peak at 14,115 which I actually drove to via the Pikes Peak Highway. 

Probably my favorite high point accomplishment with that said was completing all the road passes in the Sierras. 

WR of USA

I'll be climbing up Mount Mansfield for my first visit to Vermont this weekend. I've previously been to Mount Katahdin for Maine and Mount Washington for New Hampshire, so this will be my 3rd high peak.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

hbelkins

"Peakbagging." Is that anything like "teabagging?"  :-D :-D

Seriously, I haven't heard this term before.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: WR of USA on July 23, 2018, 02:03:30 PM
I'll be climbing up Mount Mansfield for my first visit to Vermont this weekend. I've previously been to Mount Katahdin for Maine and Mount Washington for New Hampshire, so this will be my 3rd high peak.
You going to drive up Mansfield? :D

The climb up the Chin of Mansfield is thrilling.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

QuoteYou going to drive up Mansfield?

You could somewhat, but it still leaves you 600ft of elevation short of the summit...

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on July 23, 2018, 02:49:55 PM

I'm going to use my free pass, because that's just tasteless:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peakbagging

cl94

Quote from: froggie on July 23, 2018, 04:18:34 PM
QuoteYou going to drive up Mansfield?

You could somewhat, but it still leaves you 600ft of elevation short of the summit...

Yeah. While it may be advertised as the summit, ha. Still need to hike over a mile each way along the ridge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on July 23, 2018, 04:22:03 PM

It was obvious what the meaning was, but it's not a term I've ever heard used before. And getting back to the original post, I wouldn't call highpointing a subset of peakbagging, because a number of high points aren't mountain peaks at all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on July 23, 2018, 07:49:07 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 23, 2018, 04:22:03 PM

It was obvious what the meaning was, but it's not a term I've ever heard used before. And getting back to the original post, I wouldn't call highpointing a subset of peakbagging, because a number of high points aren't mountain peaks at all.

My wife has a cousin on Facebook who does this, and the first thing I said was "Oh, they're peakbaggers" [followed immedaitely by a confused "wha..." sound from wife].

If it wasn't for the mob-rule site, I wouldn't have heard of it, either.

1995hoo

The only state high points I've visited are Spruce Knob (West Virginia) and Mount Washington (New Hampshire). Those knowledgeable about such things will recognize what those two points have in common and thus why I've been to those two.

I've been to the top of Pikes Peak via the cog railway, but that's not a state high point. I would like to go to the top of Mauna Kea, but I don't anticipate visiting Hawaii again in the near future.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hurricane Rex

Yes I'm interested but have anxiety related to the activity. In Oregon we generally have the high Cascades (Hood, Jefferson, 3 finger jack, Washington, Three Sisters, Broken Top, Diamond Peak, McLaughlin) and Wallowa's 9ers (17) are the popular ones. I personally hope to be able to do South Sister soon.

Edit: gosh my grammer sucks sometimes.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

csw

I keep track of all the mountains I've summited as well as state highpoints. County highpoints are just too tedious...

I've actually doubled my visited state highpoints this summer...from 3 (Clingmans Dome TN, Mount Mitchell NC, Brasstown Bald GA) to 6 (Taum Sauk Mountain MO, Charles Mound IL, Timms Hill WI)! Not confident that I'll ever climb some of the more difficult ones like Denali, Granite Peak, or Mount Hood, but who knows. I love hiking enough.

Roadgeekteen

For state highpoints, I have been to:

Mount Greylock (Massachusetts)

Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Mount Mitchell (North Carolina)

Clingmans Dome (Tennessee)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 01, 2022, 03:54:38 PM

What is it with you zombifying old threads, especially when we have had more thorough recent discussions on this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2022, 09:42:55 PM

What is it with you zombifying old threads, especially when we have had more thorough recent discussions on this?

I was about to say that it was a new thread that got merged with an old one, not an old one that got revived... but this isn't even that thread, even though it's on the same topic.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2022, 09:42:55 PM

I searched for a more recent thread but couldn't find one
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.