News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old Highway Maps

Started by Voyager, January 19, 2009, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

I've been trying to track down old Virginia county maps from between the 1930s and now, particularly ones of Henrico County that show the SR numbers (Henrico County maintains its own roads, and doesn't number its SR's; only interstates, primary routes, and US highways get numbered). I've seen a couple of maps on Scott Kozel's website that have SR numbers on them. No luck so far, though...I might have to contact the county.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2009, 09:36:26 AM
I also have a bunch of old Oklahoma maps on CD.  :spin:

Of course you do, David.  :rolleyes:

I have five or six old oil company maps from the 50s and 60s. Mostly OK, though I do have a couple KS.

I have a 1977 official MO map!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

speaking of old highways maps I wondered if the US-82 freeway gap in Columbus, MS was once originally planned to be part of I-20 but I-20 was rerouted later in a more southernly corridor

Freewayjim

I used to have a huge map collection but sold it off a few years ago.

I still have every Rand McNally large Atlas from 1956 to 2009 though.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

PalmettoDP

I was wondering about US 123 between Clemson and Easley, SC. Could this have been an original routing of I-85? Coming from Clemson, I've always thought this freeway ends abruptly and should have logically continued to downtown Greenville.

Southern Illinois SKYWARN

The oldest I have is a circa 1888 map of Wabash County, IL (where I live).  However the most fascinating I have is a 1950 map of Washington, D.C.  I also have a c. 1960 Chicago map (Dan Ryan is not on the map, guessing date, no visible copyright), in addition to quite a few 1970s state/regional maps.  I received them all for Christmas a few years ago.

Tom

I had a bunch of road maps from 1920's-1950's, mostly, but my mother got rid of them sometime after I moved out.  I pray they're in someone's possession and not a landfill.  In trying to recuperate some of the collection, I'm currently looking 4 the following:

1. 1967 Rand McNally Road Atlas & Travel Guide (11"x14").
3. 1969 Rand McNally Pocket Road Atlas (4"x7.5").
4. 1983 Rand McNally Interstate Road Atlas.

Thank you. :coffee:

2Co5_14

If anyone is interested, I have access to scanned PDFs of many of the official Georgia state highway maps.  I think the oldest one is 1938, and there are some gaps in the years (especially the earlier ones).

Revive 755

I've found used book fairs a good place to look for old maps and atlases.  A couple years ago I acquired a 1971 map of Illinois at one, and more recently found a 1973 Rand Mac.  Though I'm wondering if some old routes/proposed alignments are misprints - I can't seem to confirm that Rte F in Franklin and Jefferson Counties of Missouri made it down to MO 30 via the old maps MoDOT has online.

yakra

the older stuff from my collection:
Official Maine 1977-78
Official CT 1975-76
Mobil northern New England, 1976
Mobil CO/WY, 1976
Exxon Eastern US, 1978
Texaco/RMcN ME/NH/VT, 1975
Texaco/RMcN NYS, 1963
AAA eastern states north, spring 1976
AAA New England, 1962-63
Sinclair ME/NH/VT & Maritimes, 195x - exact date unknown; too lazy to figure it out thus far
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

hm insulators

I have an old 1940's era Conoco road map of California, and somewhere in my bottom drawer, there's also a 1942 street map of Los Angeles.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Tom

Quote from: Tom on September 22, 2009, 08:56:04 PM
I had a bunch of road maps from 1920's-1950's, mostly, but my mother got rid of them sometime after I moved out.  I pray they're in someone's possession and not a landfill.  In trying to recuperate some of the collection, I'm currently looking 4 the following:

1. 1966 Rand McNally Road Atlas and Travel Guide.
2. 1967 Rand McNally Road Atlas and Travel Guide (11"x14").
3. 1983 Rand McNally Interstate Road Atlas. 

Thank you. :coffee:

4. 1969 Rand McNally Pocket Road Atlas (4"x7.5"). :coffee:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.