News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Started by kphoger, December 09, 2019, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Hopefully I can word this to make sense...

In my user settings, I have it to where new posts in a thread are at the top, not the bottom.  That is, on a 15-page thread, the newest posts are at the top of page 1, and the OP is at the bottom of page 15.  I use the yellow [new] flags to see where it is I need to pick up reading the conversation since last time:  I scroll down until I stop seeing yellow [new] flags, then I start reading upwards back towards the top of the page.  This is very convenient because, if a thread has only had a few replies since I last visited, then I never have to leave page 1;  furthermore, if there have only been one or two replies, then I might not even need to scroll down at all.

My issue arises if the thread is so hot that more than one page of replies has been added since I last visited.  Page 1 will then be full of [new] flags but, when I click to page 2, there are never any [new] flags–even if there should be.  Therefore, I can't tell where I left the conversation.

To be even more concise:  with the settings of arranging newer posts to the top of a thread rather than the bottom, no [new] flags ever appear on any page except page 1. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

If you click the word "NEW" when there are two pages of new replies, does it take you to Page 2?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on December 09, 2019, 03:07:16 PM
If you click the word "NEW" when there are two pages of new replies, does it take you to Page 2?

You mean from the thread list?  Yes, I think I tried that once and it worked.  But that would only matter if I already knew there were two pages of new posts before clicking on the thread topic.

I suppose I could re-train myself to click on the [new] flag in the list as a work-around.  But I was hoping there might be some easy sort of actual fix to the problem–such that the site wouldn't simply assume I've read everything on page 2.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

I think this is an issue with SMF, as they assume you'll always be going the other direction that you're viewing them.  Nothing we can do here to change this, as that's hardwired into the software.

You could always make a post over @ SMF on this issue, but I think you'll get the same response.

Alps

Yeah, I've learned to just click NEW on the thread topic each time. Not the board, just the topic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.