News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why is your username what it is?

Started by jlam, January 02, 2022, 10:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Japanese for "walnut", as in a honey walnut dessert sushi at Miyake, a long-defunct restaurant in Cupertino.

Miyake is 宮家, "house of the prince", or possibly 見焼け, "the burning vision". (It's probably the former)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: oscar on January 04, 2022, 02:06:12 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 04, 2022, 01:43:19 AM
I found the name to be funny (Hot Rods & Hootenannies go together like Okra & licorice) and changed my username on here from OSU-LSU to Hot Rod Hootenanny. Little did I know that the mods here didn't care for me (or others) changing usernames freely, so I've been stuck with HRH since then. <shrugs shoulders>

There was a bit of history of frequent name changes on m.t.r. (some people thought that was just to evade killfiles, but I found some of them amusing), which might've soured some admins.

Guilty, your honor. Though I admit my 4-5 name changes over a decade on MTR happened when I changed ISP providers.
I had gotten the idea, for changing names, from (now ex-) friends over on two Philadelphia Eagles message boards that I had frequented back in the day.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

DTComposer

Back several geological eras ago, my friend set me up on AOL and he made DTComposer my sign-in (DT being my initials, and I was a music composition major), and it's been my default user name for things in the ensuing decades.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 04, 2022, 10:51:04 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 04, 2022, 01:34:45 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 03, 2022, 05:36:13 PM
Big fan of movie theaters with three screens.  :popcorn: :-P

My name refers specifically to Wisconsin's original triple interstate concurrency between Madison and Portage.  For a time, it was the only one in the nation between the opening of the Stan Musial Bridge and the birth of I-41.  But a triplemultiplex could be any three-number concurrency.
When was I-39 added to the concurrency between Madison and Portage? If it was before 1987, then the time before that year was also when it was the only triple interstates concurrency, as I-64 didn't exist in MO yet, and the PSB was just I-55/70.
I-39 designated c. 1992.  Signage went up in 1996.  The triplex was the last portion signed, if my memory is right so we're talking probably 1997/8.

If I recall, the original plan was for there to be two disjoint I-39s. Fortunately both WisDOT and IDiOT realized how stupid that would have been and filled in the gap along I-90.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

frankenroad

When I signed up I wanted to maintain some level of anonymity, and did not want to use a username that I use elsewhere.

My first name is Frank .... so a play on Frankenstein.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

golden eagle

I graduated from Southern Mississippi. The team is called the Golden Eagles.

DenverBrian

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 03, 2022, 01:07:46 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on January 03, 2022, 01:04:03 PM
Obviously, because my name is Malcolm and I'm from Poughkeepsie. :D :D :D

And I'm assuming you're also the same DenverBrian from FlyerTalk?
I'm a clone LOL.

yakra

When first discovering the internet, I used to hang out on an IRC channel for SquareSoft fanboys. Used a few different Chrono Trigger themed nicks before Yakra finally stuck.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: yakra on January 18, 2022, 01:20:12 AM
When first discovering the internet, I used to hang out on an IRC channel for SquareSoft fanboys. Used a few different Chrono Trigger themed nicks before Yakra finally stuck.

I've been trying to figure out why your name seemed so damn familiar like I'd seen it before.

Of course, on the 13th different site you register this name to, that then has to be YakraXIII. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

yakra

I consider that to be my "full name". One of the other nicks I used briefly was Toma. :nod:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

MATraveler128

My username is based after the car I own, which is a blue Subaru Outback. I'm not sure where I got the 7 from.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2022, 05:16:09 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 03, 2022, 05:08:48 PM
Because I like large, oversized toilets. :bigass:

I'm big and my name is John.

I didn't even know this was a thing until I did a little searching:

https://mybesttoilet.com/best-oversized-toilets/

I've known john was an informal word for toilet since I was a little kid. But now I'm curious if that's just because I heard my grandma say it a few times, or if other people know this as well 😅 

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2022, 08:24:55 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2022, 05:16:09 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 03, 2022, 05:08:48 PM
Because I like large, oversized toilets. :bigass:

I'm big and my name is John.

I didn't even know this was a thing until I did a little searching:

https://mybesttoilet.com/best-oversized-toilets/

I've known john was an informal word for toilet since I was a little kid. But now I'm curious if that's just because I heard my grandma say it a few times, or if other people know this as well 😅 
I've heard it too.  In fact, there's someone in my family who named their son "Jon" (no h, and not Jonathan) specifically to avoid the name matching the slang term for toilet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Just my name. I decided to be fully transparent about who I am (hence all the social links) as it keeps me from saying or doing stupid things.

My original username was just "jake" but I had it changed to "jakeroot". This was done to avoid confusion with the original Jake (Bear), who was on here as agentsteel53, but who was still often referred to as Jake by more senior members.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2022, 01:17:47 PM
Just my name. I decided to be fully transparent about who I am (hence all the social links) as it keeps me from saying or doing stupid things.

My original username was just "jake" but I had it changed to "jakeroot". This was done to avoid confusion with the original Jake (Bear), who was on here as agentsteel53, but who was still often referred to as Jake by more senior members.

I thought about using my real name but went with the movie reference I cited on page one.  I kind of find of amusing that there has been a lot of people over the years who thought my name is Max Rockatansky. 

jlam

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2022, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2022, 01:17:47 PM

I thought about using my real name but went with the movie reference I cited on page one.  I kind of find of amusing that there has been a lot of people over the years who thought my name is Max Rockatansky.
That would include me. I've never seen Mad Max (or any of the sequels)

Scott5114

My name is Scott. When I was 13 and I signed up for my first-ever Web forum (a support forum for a freeware 3D animation program), I needed a user name, but I was experienced enough with the Web to know that just the name "Scott" was likely to be taken, and the usual way of handling this was to add some random numbers after your name. There was a box of Ziploc bags by the computer, and I looked at the first four digits of the barcode, which were '5114'. So I made that my random numbers to go after my name.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Very boring. I'm a roadgeek and I created the account when I was 13. (Now on 8/12/2023 I might have to do a change...)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

snowc

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 03, 2022, 10:36:21 AM
You've heard this story before, but as my wife says "Here he goes again..."

When I was small, almost all of the roads in my hometown were dirt roads.  The only paved section of road was the approaches to the bridge over I-64.  The main road got paved shortly after we moved there in the mid-1960s.  Our side road got paved in the late-1960s, and I fondly remember that Orders-Haynes was the contractor.  The house beside of ours was recently vacated, and Orders-Haynes used the old driveway as a staging area for their equipment.  All about 25 feet from my house.  I was already hooked on roadbuilding during the construction of I-64 between Institute and Dunbar, but this took the fascination to the next level.

Fun fact:  Yes, it is true that Orders-Haynes used pink dumptrucks, pavers and "steamrollers".  Pepto-bismol pink.  All covered in hot, sticky asphalt.  The kind of mess that a little boy wants to implore on his younger sisters' toys.
I thought it was named after the first time you sign in to AARoads it says Dirt Road.

snowc

In 2017, I had a hard time trying to reset my email for TWC (Weather Channel, NOT spectrum!  :spin:)
So I had to think of a name, It was snowing at my high school (AFHS) and decided to name it that.
NO, 776 does NOT mean I was born in July 1976, I was born in October 2001.
Also, Snowcool776 is a play on socool775 (irony here is that socool775 used TWC, and I named it after that!)
But how did I get it to my current name?
snowc is my user account (5 letters for username) for my Microsoft Account. It DOES NOT stand for snow cover!
Previous user accounts were daysinnfan (bc i was a fan of the hotel chain, only to be skeptical after an intruder came in), daysinnfan52 (an updated un because of spam emails), tornadosurvivor2011 (i survived the tornado outbreak of april 16 2011), and also panthersdude2001 (bc im a fan of the panthers; the last 4 digits indicate my birth year)
There you have it.  :pan: :D :clap:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2022, 04:56:10 AM
Very boring. I'm a roadgeek and I created the account when I was 13. (Now on 8/12/2023 I might have to do a change...)

Alangoatman?

Pete from Boston

Max Rockatansky

snowc

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 19, 2022, 10:30:20 AM
I'll give you three guesses.
Your name is Pete and your from Boston?
It almost sounds like that prank call that Bart made to Moe's
Moe: Moe's Tavern.
Bart: I would like to talk to Seymour, last name Butts
Moe: Hold on, I'll check
Moe: Is there a SEYMOUR BUTTS?!
*everybody laughs*
Moe (talking to Bart): Listen, when I see you, I will squash you like a bug!  :-D

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2022, 10:52:50 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 19, 2022, 10:30:20 AM
I'll give you three guesses.

You're from New York and your name is James?

The irony is that I am neither originally from Boston nor have I lived in it for years. But I did when I chose it (in the vein of "Butch from the Cape,"  for any that know who he was), and I'm about a 7-minute drive from city limits now so I round up to Boston.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.