Meta > Suggestions and Questions

Split photo contests / games into separate board

<< < (8/9) > >>

vdeane:

--- Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 01:45:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on May 20, 2022, 12:49:49 PM ---I guess the question is... are the mods/admins anticipating that a lot more photo contests/games would appear if they got their own board?

--- End quote ---

As has already been pointed out, games have been a part of this forum since before I joined.  It's reasonable to assume they'll continue to be a part of it.  With that in mind, it makes sense to put them on their own board—preferably invisible to non-members.

--- End quote ---
Right... what I was asking was whether the mods/admins think that giving games their own board would double/triple the number of active games threads or something.  Because if not, I don't really get the "more forums is more work" complaint.

EDIT: Browsing the forum today, I noticed that it's not just Travel, but also Traffic Control as well... so both boards that have games are basically majority game threads at this point (at least for threads that show up with new posts on any given day).  Having the games split into two boards while both boards are theoretically about other things but in practice not really does not seem very logical.

mrsman:

--- Quote from: vdeane on May 20, 2022, 08:09:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 01:45:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on May 20, 2022, 12:49:49 PM ---I guess the question is... are the mods/admins anticipating that a lot more photo contests/games would appear if they got their own board?

--- End quote ---

As has already been pointed out, games have been a part of this forum since before I joined.  It's reasonable to assume they'll continue to be a part of it.  With that in mind, it makes sense to put them on their own board—preferably invisible to non-members.

--- End quote ---
Right... what I was asking was whether the mods/admins think that giving games their own board would double/triple the number of active games threads or something.  Because if not, I don't really get the "more forums is more work" complaint.

EDIT: Browsing the forum today, I noticed that it's not just Travel, but also Traffic Control as well... so both boards that have games are basically majority game threads at this point (at least for threads that show up with new posts on any given day).  Having the games split into two boards while both boards are theoretically about other things but in practice not really does not seem very logical.

--- End quote ---

There are games in each of those forums.  In many ways, the games do dilute the focus of those forums and it would seem that segregating the games would allow the existing forums to go back to their normal focus.

As others mentioned, there seems to be a decent overlap between Travel and Road Trips, even though the original focus tended to divide the two subject matters as being road and non-road.  Perhaps a merger of those two threads would then allow room for a new board to handle the games.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the successful games do create a lot of traffic.  If you are interested in Traffic Control, but not in the games on that board, often the only new messages are from the game threads.  For people who don't care for games, they would probably not want to keep checking the traffic control board if the only new posts are from games.  Separating the games would allow for people to better gage when new substantive content is available.

webny99:
I agree that Traffic Control is overrun with games. I sometimes don't even bother checking that board, or check the games I'm interested in and glaze over everything else.

It can be a challenge to find the non-game threads in that board - to the point where on more than one occasion, I've considered putting a new thread in Traffic Control but decided to put it in General Highway Talk instead, knowing it would remain visible for longer and have a higher chance of generating sustained discussion - which is a tremendous irony when you think about it.

I suppose the same could be said of the Travel board, but there's generally fewer games and less other discussion going on there, plus I tend to have a higher interest level in the games in that board.

kphoger:
The opposite is also true:  sometimes I'm looking for a game thread, but I can't remember if it's in Travel or in Traffic Control.

Also...  let's be honest...  route shields don't "control" traffic.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 10:25:44 AM ---The opposite is also true:  sometimes I'm looking for a game thread, but I can't remember if it's in Travel or in Traffic Control.

Also...  let's be honest...  route shields don't "control" traffic.

--- End quote ---
But...Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version