News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why do some images have vertical scroll bars?

Started by vdeane, June 20, 2022, 04:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

When browsing the forum, I've noticed that some images in posts have vertical scroll bars in them.  I can understand why a horizontal scroll bar might appear, if the image is too wide for the browser width, but what causes the vertical scroll bar?

Example: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17783.msg2748298#msg2748298
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

That image has no vertical scroll bar on my screen.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

It does have a vertical scroll bar for me, yet it's pointless because I can see the whole image without scrolling.

Scott5114

Since I know you run your own webpage, I'll give the technical explanation. My guess is that your browser defaults to overflow: scroll (or overflow: auto) for content too big to fit inside a block element, when overflow: visible is the standard.

I am seeing no scroll bars on Firefox 100.0 on Fedora Linux.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2022, 06:04:14 PM
Since I know you run your own webpage, I'll give the technical explanation. My guess is that your browser defaults to overflow: scroll (or overflow: auto) for content too big to fit inside a block element, when overflow: visible is the standard.

I am seeing no scroll bars on Firefox 100.0 on Fedora Linux.
Interesting.  I see two main takeaways from this:
1. This is likely a difference in how Firefox and Chromium-based browsers* render this.
2. A lot of images on the forum are evidently posted by Time Lords, since they're bigger on the inside.

*In theory all Chromium-based browsers should behave similarly, but given how many glitches HBO Max had for me in Chrome that vanished when I switched to Vivaldi, there are clearly differences.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Yeah, gotta love browser vendors who think they know better than the W3C standard...

I fear that Chromium is headed down the same road to becoming Internet Explorer 6 all over again. In those Bad Old Days you could follow the web standards to the letter and still have your page break for half of your users because they insisted on using a browser that didn't bother following standards (thus the need for things like Acid2).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on June 20, 2022, 08:37:31 PM
2. A lot of images on the forum are evidently posted by Time Lords, since they're bigger on the inside.

This isn't a problem for me. If someone posts a 4000×3000 photo, it will be 800×600 until I click on it, which means it doesn't unnecessarily take up space until I click on it (or if it's tall but not wide, since the forum only checks overwidth photos). The one problem is that clicking for full size also opens a link if it is one (usually Flickr on this forum), with no way around it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JayhawkCO

Just another data point: on both my phone and laptop, Chrome does not at vertical scrolling bars.

1995hoo

FWIW, on my PC (running Firefox on dual 21-inch monitors) the image vdeane linked has no scroll bars when viewed in the thread. On my iPad, it has a horizontal scroll bar but no vertical scroll bar.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.