News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do people understand...

Started by Bryant5493, April 10, 2009, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

I just have a photographic memory,...that's my excuse.  :biggrin:

roadfro

When I tell people I'm a roadgeek, they often look at me totally confused--as I put it down on my fraternity bio, it prompted a question from one of our national officers during initiation.  Many people I know don't really understand the whole roadgeeking thing, but they at least understand why it interests me (I'm a civil/traffic engineering grad student).

My reputation for being a roadgeek and an engineering student does prove somewhat useful for these friends and family members though.  My mom often calls me from Vegas asking about certain routes to take during peak periods (even though I live in Reno now and she grew up there).  Friends ask me about why certain things are the way they are on the roads, or how traffic signals work.  A couple weeks ago a friend was lost and called to ask about the street numbering system used in Vegas.  It is kinda cool knowing that I'm the first person people think of when they have a random road question that needs to be answered.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Ah, everyone accepts the road junkie in me after awhile. Those who continued to think it was weird are silenced once I tell them that my road knowledge got me a career in map making.

cjk374

Being a railfan is just as challenging. No one understands.  But, to each their own.

GPS...I don't get it.  State hwy maps are FREE!!!  :nod:  My brother bought a GPS and used it to go to my sister's house (Washington, DC to Carey, NC).  It told him to turn on HWY 64 (good info).  However, when my brother got to the INTERSTATE 64 exit, my brother took that exit and wound up WAY lost.  It cost him about 3 hours, but he said he saw some great scenery! :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bryant5493

^^ That sucks. :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

deathtopumpkins

Thus GPS=Epic Fail.  :-P My GIS class just started using them, and I've already noticed plenty of errors, from horribly misspelled towns to whole freeways missing. The unit was bought brand new 2 years ago, yet does not show the Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) as being finished...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.