News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 93

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 23, 2020, 11:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This edition of Paper Highways covers the history of CA 93.  CA 93 was a 1964 renumbering of Legislative Routes 255, part of LRN 235, and LRN 254 in Contra Costa County between Alamo west to Richmond.  LRN 255 and 254 were added to the State Highway System in 1959 as part of the Freeway & Expressway System and largely would have traversed lightly populated northern Diablo Range.  In 1973 the planned route of CA 93 was truncated to a new eastern terminus at planned CA 77.  Unlike many of the planned freeways from the 1959 the planned route of CA 93 was partially built by the City of Richmond during the 1990s as Richmond Parkway between I-80 west to I-580.  Richmond Parkway even has 511 signs which show it designated as Contra Costa 93.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/04/paper-highways-unbuilt-california-state_23.html

jdbx

I remember when Richmond Parkway opened. It is a very useful "missing link" between I-80 and I-580 / Richmond Bridge for people traveling to/from points east.   It made for a much more direct route, previously we would use Cutting Blvd to make the connection between I-80 and I-580, which is about 3 miles longer and often much slower due to the congestion on I-80.

While I usually use CA-24 / I-580 / I-80 via the Bay Bridge to access San Francisco, coming in the "back way" via the Richmond and Golden Gate bridges is a useful alternate, particularly if my destination is out in the Avenues side of San Francisco.

It would be interesting to see Richmond Parkway someday signed as CA-93, but I think that bringing the stretch between I-80 and San Pablo Ave up to expressway standards would be nearly impossible.  There are way too many cross-streets and driveways.  The stretch between San Pablo Ave and I-580 already feels like an expressway, with traffic moving at 60 MPH and very few cross streets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.