News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Is there anywhere in Connecticut where a tunnel could "theoretically" be built?

Also, it seems more likely that CT-11 will be torn down than it ever reaching Interstates 95/395.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 18, 2016, 03:40:18 PM

Also, it seems more likely that CT-11 will be torn down than it ever reaching Interstates 95/395.
I don't know how must of ConnDOT's maintenance budget goes specifically into CT 11, but I doubt it would be a big enough percentage where partially (super-2-ing) or fully decommissioning it would yield a lot of savings.

I'd say have it turn east and have the freeway portion end directly at CT 85 and then have 11 co-signed all the way to New London.

cl94

Other than the tunnel on the Wilbur Cross? Certainly. Connecticut isn't a flat state by any means (unless you're comparing it to Vermont or another state that is all mountains).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on March 18, 2016, 06:50:58 PM

Other than the tunnel on the Wilbur Cross? Certainly. Connecticut isn't a flat state by any means (unless you're comparing it to Vermont or another state that is all mountains).
Tunnel Road does not have a tunnel.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2016, 01:52:14 AM

Actually, it looks like it sort of does: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8245837,-72.4627482,3a,75y,130.83h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY9suXPu_kU8vwRZFI5KXng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

KEVIN_224

I pass by that along I-84 all the time and yet never knew that was there! Interesting!  :spin:

Duke87

There's also this rail tunnel.

An argument could be made to count the deckover on I-84 in Hartford, as well as this road through an underground parking garage in New Haven that can be used as a through route when it's open during the week, although this was not its intended purpose.

And speaking of New Haven, let's not forget the new means of getting to the Air Rights Garage in the roadbed of former CT 34.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

shadyjay

Two rail tunnels I know of in CT:  Terryville and Taftville, the latter is I believe the oldest in the US still in continuous use. 

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on March 19, 2016, 09:58:19 AM
Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2016, 01:52:14 AM

Actually, it looks like it sort of does: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8245837,-72.4627482,3a,75y,130.83h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY9suXPu_kU8vwRZFI5KXng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Doesn't meet the minimum length requirement by NJDOT definition. ^_^

shadyjay

Looks like the new I-91 SB gantry at Exit 40 in Windsor Locks that has been missing for a while has finally been replaced, along with new signs.  It's visible on the ConnDOT web cam "CCTV# 65 Windsor SB Exit 40 - Rt. 20", the signs only visible when the camera is facing north.  Cameras don't exist for Exits 41 and 42 where two gantries (one NB at Exit 42, one SB at Exit 41) are being replaced with a single one, so I can't see if those have been replaced yet.  If they haven't yet, I'd guess they will be soon, as the replacement of all 3 is under the same contract. 

wytout

The other gantry was put up last Friday night. The single gantry Spans nb and sb lanes. No signs were placed yet, and the two gantries it replaces were still intact. Will be driving by there in the morning tomorrow on my way to work.
-Chris

Mergingtraffic

http://ctmirror.org/2016/03/21/decision-on-widening-i-95-key-step-in-transportation-master-plan/

An interesting article and it seems to be some of the same old...same old...politicians just don't want to try new ideas.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The Ghostbuster

When I mentioned building a tunnel, I meant a freeway tunnel. As for the article, make the new lane a congestion-priced toll lane, and the induced travel argument goes out the window (I am not a proponent of that argument by any means).

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 12:52:58 PM
http://ctmirror.org/2016/03/21/decision-on-widening-i-95-key-step-in-transportation-master-plan/

An interesting article and it seems to be some of the same old...same old...politicians just don't want to try new ideas.
I'd rather have them float the idea of a new Interstate than adding a lane.  You could potentially take away congestion on both I-84 and I-95 on a new corridor in between the two.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 12:52:58 PM

I could see a new toll lane working. I don't want them to convert an existing lane to a toll lane tho.

When the politicians/others met to hammer out details on how to pay for Gov Malloy's 30-year transportation vision, I expected some wonderful ideas.  However, not one new idea came about....tolls, taxes were the only ideas.  Amazing.

Mergingtraffic

Also, a new project to replace the god awful signage on the Merritt Parkway from Exits 27-53.  I always thought the signs were cheaply made.  They are not extruded like the other BGS signs and aren't even reflected correctly. 

Did they even last 10 years?

"Project 0173-0472 2016-A12-1 Sign updates on Route 15, Exits27-53 Page 7
Changes Amendment 12 adds a new Project
Reason Highway Resigning from the New York / Connecticut State Line to the Stratford / Milford
Town Line on the Merritt Parkway. Includes Exits 27 - 53, a distance of approximately
37.7 miles.
Recent structural failures of the large state furnished sheet aluminum highway signs on
the Merritt Parkway has resulted in a need for corrective action. The project will replace
all of the failing large signs sheeting and replace the regulatory signs, warning signs,
guide signs, and delineators along Route 15, on/off ramps and at ramp termini as
necessary."

shadyjay

Wow.... interesting.  Didn't expect to see this coming, but I did notice years ago some of the "buckling" of the signs.  They were installed around 2001, so they've definitely been around for 10 years.  So, seeing this project isn't even listed anywhere on ConnDOT, either upcoming or a "now up for bids" project, when can we expect this to get started?  Will new signage be MUTCD-compliant?  And this would again be a perfect time to renumber those exits!!!

And, oh yeah, will Exit 40 get the new sign treatment or will they hold out again for the interchange reconstruction which never came?  Given how ConnDOT just installs new signs only to have them replaced or modified in a future project, I'd guess they'll be replaced. 

dgolub

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 06:22:07 PM
Also, a new project to replace the god awful signage on the Merritt Parkway from Exits 27-53.  I always thought the signs were cheaply made.  They are not extruded like the other BGS signs and aren't even reflected correctly. 

Reason Highway Resigning from the New York / Connecticut State Line to the Stratford / Milford
Town Line on the Merritt Parkway. Includes Exits 27 - 53, a distance of approximately
37.7 miles.
Recent structural failures of the large state furnished sheet aluminum highway signs on
the Merritt Parkway has resulted in a need for corrective action. The project will replace
all of the failing large signs sheeting and replace the regulatory signs, warning signs,
guide signs, and delineators along Route 15, on/off ramps and at ramp termini as
necessary."

Yes, I was on there for the first time in 2005, and they haven't replaced them since then.

jp the roadgeek

Makes sense that they should do the mileage based conversion on the Merritt/Wilbur Cross and Route 15 near Hartford when they replace these.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Duke87

Quote from: shadyjay on March 24, 2016, 07:49:15 PM
Wow.... interesting.  Didn't expect to see this coming, but I did notice years ago some of the "buckling" of the signs.  They were installed around 2001, so they've definitely been around for 10 years.  So, seeing this project isn't even listed anywhere on ConnDOT, either upcoming or a "now up for bids" project, when can we expect this to get started?  Will new signage be MUTCD-compliant?  And this would again be a perfect time to renumber those exits!!!

The STIP has $3.5M funded for it in 2017. Ctrl+F for "0173-0472", it's on page 12. So, next year.

Difficult to say whether the new signs will be MUTCD compliant.

As for exit renumbering, I doubt it. Read the description closely (emphases mine):
QuoteThe project will replace all of the failing large signs sheeting and replace the regulatory signs, warning signs, guide signs, and delineators along Route 15, on/off ramps and at ramp termini as necessary.

It sounds like they're only doing spot replacements, not replacing all of the signs.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

37.7 miles.
necessary."

I found this on the South Central Regional Council of Governments website. 

Does anybody know why the Merritt signs weren't made of extruded aluminum like the other BGSs in the state?  Extruded seems to be more durable, I notice with the sign panels is that they blow off or fall down.

I also notice the signs on the Sikorsky Bridge have awful reflectivity.  At night, it looks like tin foil and when your headlights hit it at a certain angle, the whole sign looks white.  (the same can be said with the new Exit 46 Service Plaza signs)  I can't believe the feds allow that.

roadman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 11:05:04 PM

Does anybody know why the Merritt signs weren't made of extruded aluminum like the other BGSs in the state? 

Probably because the preservationists didn't want extruded signs, lest the Merritt - gasp - look like a freeway instead of a parkway.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman on March 25, 2016, 12:22:13 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 24, 2016, 11:05:04 PM

Does anybody know why the Merritt signs weren't made of extruded aluminum like the other BGSs in the state? 

Probably because the preservationists didn't want extruded signs, lest the Merritt - gasp - look like a freeway instead of a parkway.

Excellent post!  A state trooper friend told me why the revamped service plaza at Exit 46 NB still have no acceleration lane b/c  preservationists complained the footprint would be too big.

On a side note:
My favorite expressway in CT, CT-25 is getting new signage and the project is coming along.  All non BGS,BYS have been replaced for the most part, shields, speed limit signs etc.  There is a LGS for "Junction 111" on CT025 NB, although I think that should be a BGS since it's an expressway coming to a stop light. 

This relic has been replaced
Old:

New:

I liked the CT-25 expressway it was like a timewarp, graffiti on the rocks, concrete pavement, original signage.  An expressway that never had button copy on it for the most part.

RobbieL2415

37.7 miles.
necessary."
Wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for new mileposts.  Hopefully on those we get both a route shield and Merrit/WC trailblazer.

dgolub

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 25, 2016, 02:42:13 PM

37.7 miles.
necessary."
Wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for new mileposts.  Hopefully on those we get both a route shield and Merrit/WC trailblazer.

Also, will the new signs continue the special Merritt Parkway signage style, or will they just go over to standard Connecticut style?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.