News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: sharkyfour on July 01, 2020, 08:14:47 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 01, 2020, 01:44:41 AM
Quote from: sharkyfour on June 30, 2020, 10:46:48 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 30, 2020, 09:03:09 PM
We also impliment some kind of presence-based automation at every installation. It used to be in-road magnetic field based. Now all of them are being installed with a combination of magnetic field and video monitoring.

I think the magnetic field monitoring is becoming a thing of the past.  I've noticed as they do repaving projects, they'll retrofit the intersections with the video detection systems and not replace the magnetic loops.  There's actually two intersections near me where they didn't retrofit the intersections with video detection since the whole signal was up for replacement after a paving project in 2017 or 2018.  One intersection got video detection in the new signal last year; the other intersection they just installed the footings for the new masts.  That second intersection is definitely just running on timing, no detection, and the timed cycles are AWFUL.

Agreed. And I HATE it.  Used to be that a light with a protected left in one direction but not the other would only trip the turn arrow if there was a car in the lane to turn left.  Now, it trips EVERY time, even if there is no car in the lane.  It's as if there is payola between the DOT and the fuel industry to cost you more gas while you're stuck idling longer at lights for no reason.

Seriously.  The one that really gets under my skin right now is US 6 at Airport Road in North Windham.  The protected lefts when nobody's there and the timing in general are just horrible.  The one down the street at Walmart wasn't as bad while it was on timing-only for about a year.  But we're approaching 2 years as timing-only at Airport Road now...

The one I'm referring to is on CT 10 in Southington at Flanders St by Oak Hill Cemetery.  Southbound traffic has a left turn lane with an advance arrow.  It used to be that if there was no car in the left turn lane, the cycle would skip the green arrow and turn green in both directions simultaneously.  Now, it can be 6 AM on a Sunday, you're the only car on the road, you're heading northbound and catch the red light, and you still have to wait those extra few seconds for the ghosts to turn left.  Of course, southbound at that light has it's own set of problems; 90% of the time if you catch that light red, you will catch the next light by Stop & Shop red as well.  It is just ridiculous how many times I have watched that light turn green, then no more than 5 seconds later, the lights on the When Flashing Stop Ahead sign about 100 feet ahead of you start blinking.  Whoever timed those two lights was smoking something.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

We also impliment some kind of presence-based automation at every installation. It used to be in-road magnetic field based. Now all of them are being installed with a combination of magnetic field and video monitoring.

I think the magnetic field monitoring is becoming a thing of the past.  I've noticed as they do repaving projects, they'll retrofit the intersections with the video detection systems and not replace the magnetic loops.  There's actually two intersections near me where they didn't retrofit the intersections with video detection since the whole signal was up for replacement after a paving project in 2017 or 2018.  One intersection got video detection in the new signal last year; the other intersection they just installed the footings for the new masts.  That second intersection is definitely just running on timing, no detection, and the timed cycles are AWFUL.

Agreed. And I HATE it.  Used to be that a light with a protected left in one direction but not the other would only trip the turn arrow if there was a car in the lane to turn left.  Now, it trips EVERY time, even if there is no car in the lane.  It's as if there is payola between the DOT and the fuel industry to cost you more gas while you're stuck idling longer at lights for no reason.

Seriously.  The one that really gets under my skin right now is US 6 at Airport Road in North Windham.  The protected lefts when nobody's there and the timing in general are just horrible.  The one down the street at Walmart wasn't as bad while it was on timing-only for about a year.  But we're approaching 2 years as timing-only at Airport Road now...
Have you considered writing ConnDOT?

sharkyfour

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 02, 2020, 11:50:40 PM

Have you considered writing ConnDOT?

Yes, I did write them actually.  They said they didn't retrofit the actuators at those two intersections because the entire signal was coming due for replacement.  At the time I wrote them in 2018, one project had been bid and awarded and the other was about to go out to bid.  Looking back, the road was re-paved (and inductive loops removed) in August 2017.  The signal at WalMart was replaced in September-ish 2019.  The signal at Airport Road, which is the one that's really off, just had the signal mast foundations installed, so it's still 6-12 months out from completion.

shadyjay

After being put up this past winter, the new monotube gantry at I-691 East Exit 10 in Meriden has had its new signs installed.  This occurred sometime within the past 2-3 weeks:
691EB-Exit10-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And 1/2 mile up the road at Exit 11, the new gantry and signs are also up.  This one went up quickly, as there was no new support structure there a few weeks ago:
691EB-Exit11-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Both of these replacements are "spot" and part of ConnDOT's 2017 spot sign replacement project statewide. 

kurumi

Interesting how the new signage is a lot more precise about the 691/66 transition.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

shadyjay

Yes indeed.

The problem will be when I-691 gets a blanket sign replacement at some point within the next 5, 10? years, and they'll probably replace some of these signs again, like removing "Springfield" from the Exit 11 signs.  I get it... support structures need to be replaced when their time is up (and most likely those two truss' were original to CT 66 construction, or at least since the 70s), but how 'bout coordinating with what's in the plans for future sign replacement projects?  Or, do what ConnDOT used to do and mount the old signs on the new gantry. 

At least there is some notice for motorists regarding the transition of I-691 East into CT 66 East. 

Ben114

How big of an exit tab do they need? That's big.

kurumi

Quote from: Ben114 on July 10, 2020, 10:08:23 PM
How big of an exit tab do they need? That's big.

Fixed it! Love, Caltrans

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

RobbieL2415

Last night I saw a random sign replacement going on on CT 3 SB.

shadyjay

Passed by the Charter Oak/Exit 29 reconstruction project today on my way back from Manch-vegas (Really that only works in VT & NH, but whatever)...
Noticed a new 4-chord cantilever advance on CT 15 North for Exit 90, just before the bridge, and several new monotube gantries on I-91, with what appeared to be the existing button copy signs on them, though I couldn't tell since I was on CT 15 South and couldn't see the signs clearly due to trees.

Where was the random sign replacement on CT 3 SB?  If it was within the confines of the I-91 interchange, there are some CT 3 signs in that area being replaced as part of the Exit 29 project, which includes safety improvements on I-91 down to Exit 25/CT 3.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on July 17, 2020, 03:37:59 PM
Passed by the Charter Oak/Exit 29 reconstruction project today on my way back from Manch-vegas (Really that only works in VT & NH, but whatever)...
Noticed a new 4-chord cantilever advance on CT 15 North for Exit 90, just before the bridge, and several new monotube gantries on I-91, with what appeared to be the existing button copy signs on them, though I couldn't tell since I was on CT 15 South and couldn't see the signs clearly due to trees.

Where was the random sign replacement on CT 3 SB?  If it was within the confines of the I-91 interchange, there are some CT 3 signs in that area being replaced as part of the Exit 29 project, which includes safety improvements on I-91 down to Exit 25/CT 3.
The original signs are being mounted there temporarily. IIRC a sound majority of the signs in the project will be new.

The CT 3 sign replacement was on the east approach for the Putnam Bridge.

shadyjay

Hmmm... the only sign on CT 3 in the state's spot sign replacement contracts in recent years was the "Junction 91 1 1/2 Miles" sign.  The sign, mounted on a cruciform cantilever, was removed and the gantry is being removed and not replaced.... at least per the contract plans.

Most of the signs on the Charter Oak Bridge and east are not getting replaced.  The CT 15 South to I-91 South ramp is only having the "exit now" sign replaced, removing "NY City" as a control city.  All other signs for this exit are remaining as is.  Same goes for the CT 15 North ramp to I-91 North, whose "exit now" gantry is not getting replaced.  There are some signs by the southern CT 15/I-91 connector (closer to Brainard Rd) that are also not being replaced.  I personally would've taken this opportunity to replace all CT 15 signage from Exit 85/CT 99 up to I-84, including gantries if necessary.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.

shadyjay

And now... the new I-91 North gantries in Hartford:

At Exit 27:
I'm not sure why they bothered relocating the Exit 28 & Bradley Airport signs onto this gantry.  Bradley will get a new ground-mount sign, and Exit 28 is closed for the time being.  So really they could've gotten away with just leaving up the Exit 27 sign.  All signs will get replaced during a later stage of the project.  I'm also guessing, because the Exit 27 sign looks "on the level" and the other two are off, the future APL prohibits mounting non-APL signs in line with the others.
91NB-Exit27 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

At Exit 28 (temporarily closed):
There will be 3 new signs posted here at some point later in the project, one of them being a "US 5/CT 15 North/Charter Oak Bridge".  No APL is planned here, so all signs currently mount level.
91NB-Exit28 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Future 1/4 mile advance for the new LEFT Exit 29.  This will be an APL.
91NB-Exit29-1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Future "exit now" APL for the new LEFT Exit 29...
91NB-Exit29-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

RobbieL2415

The first new sign is up on CT 15 NB for Exit 90.

MikeCL

I'm guessing the 1670 AM is going to be down for who knows how long.. but yet the highway signs still flash saying to tune to the channel but no signal at all.

shadyjay

Sometime within the past week or so, the old gantry and signs at I-691 East/CT 66 East was taken down, leaving just the side supports, but even better, fully exposing the new signs.
691EB-Exit11 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Also, ConnDOT has put out a press release for the replacement of sheet aluminum signs statewide.... pretty much on all expressways.  CT 8 and CT 9 are not listed, as those routes have just had or about to have their signs replaced.  CT 2 and I-691 are also not listed, leading me to believe they're targeted next for sign replacement within the next year or so.  Also skipped is I-84 between Southington and Hartford, again in the middle of or having just received new signs.  Project also includes removal of the "Old Exit ##" signs from I-395, CT 2A, and SSR 695.

Press release here:
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Construction-News-from-the-Connecticut-Department-of-Transportation/2020/Statewide-Replacement-of-Highway-Sheet-Aluminum-Signs-on-Limited-Access-Highways

QuoteThe types of signs that will be replaced include but are not limited to Mile Markers, Exit Gore signs, Speed Limit signs, Merge signs, and Route Confirmation signs.  Additionally, all "Old Exit"  panels on I-395, CT-2A, and S.R. 695 will be removed.

I like how ConnDOT refers to reassurance shields as "route confirmation signs".

This project may spell an end to the oversized "65/55" numerals on speed limit signs, in favor of smaller numerals as seen in recent sign replacement projects.  Wonder if this will also result in all MUTCD-compliant mile markers statewide, setting the stage for future exit renumbering by mileage.

bob7374

Quote from: shadyjay on July 24, 2020, 08:17:48 PM
Sometime within the past week or so, the old gantry and signs at I-691 East/CT 66 East was taken down, leaving just the side supports, but even better, fully exposing the new signs.
691EB-Exit11 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Also, ConnDOT has put out a press release for the replacement of sheet aluminum signs statewide.... pretty much on all expressways.  CT 8 and CT 9 are not listed, as those routes have just had or about to have their signs replaced.  CT 2 and I-691 are also not listed, leading me to believe they're targeted next for sign replacement within the next year or so.  Also skipped is I-84 between Southington and Hartford, again in the middle of or having just received new signs.  Project also includes removal of the "Old Exit ##" signs from I-395, CT 2A, and SSR 695.

Press release here:
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Construction-News-from-the-Connecticut-Department-of-Transportation/2020/Statewide-Replacement-of-Highway-Sheet-Aluminum-Signs-on-Limited-Access-Highways

QuoteThe types of signs that will be replaced include but are not limited to Mile Markers, Exit Gore signs, Speed Limit signs, Merge signs, and Route Confirmation signs.  Additionally, all "Old Exit"  panels on I-395, CT-2A, and S.R. 695 will be removed.

I like how ConnDOT refers to reassurance shields as "route confirmation signs".

This project may spell an end to the oversized "65/55" numerals on speed limit signs, in favor of smaller numerals as seen in recent sign replacement projects.  Wonder if this will also result in all MUTCD-compliant mile markers statewide, setting the stage for future exit renumbering by mileage.
Checked out the latest ConnDOT project advertising schedule (July 2020 to June 2021), the sign replacement contract above is currently scheduled to be advertised on Nov. 18. I also noticed that the second CT 9 sign replacement contract advertisement is now for Aug. 12, it first was scheduled for July 22. There are a few other statewide sign replacement contracts listed. Here's a link to the list: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOT/documents/dfiscalprojects/advschedule.pdf

RobbieL2415

Anyone know what the deal is with the work being done on I-84 between Exits 59 and 57? Is it drainage work?

shadyjay

No, that's replacing a sign support structure.  It is this span being replaced:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7662895,-72.6237803,3a,37.1y,245.89h,85.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syfYf57QF2yejuvUuGdIebw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The new support will span all lanes of I-84, but will not span the on-ramps at Exit 58.  Some of the ramps are closed to fascilitate construction activities such as pouring the new foundations.  As far as signs, westbound, the new signs will be standard "carbon copy" of the existing signs, with aligned exit tabs, "LEFT" tabs, etc.  Eastbound, the sign support will include a new diagrammatic for the I-84/I-384 jct - 1 1/2 Miles.  Given there is a 1 1/4 mile advance for this same jct on a bridge overpass just east of here, I'm guessing this may replace the bridge-mount.   

shadyjay

Drove the length of the CT 8 sign replacement project from Bridgeport to Shelton.  No new extruded aluminum/guide signs to report... just some secondary signs, reassurance shields, mile markers, and offramp signs.  Some new foundations were spotted.

8/25NB-MP1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

In this photo, we see the reassurance shields are of the outline type.  We also seen an ehnanced mile marker and two bridge ID signs off in the distance.

jp the roadgeek

Finally, CTDOT accurately (and correctly) gives priority to CT 8 on the 8/25 connector.  Now, if only they would correct the signage on I-95 that puts 25 before 8 for Exit 27A.  And why not just truncate CT 25 to the split?  I know it's a historical thing like MA 128, but most people think of this road as CT 8 (where most still refer to I-95 between Canton and Peabody as 128).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Yeah, that "25/8" on I-95 irks me.  But on CT 8 itself, previous reassurance shields listed the routes as "8/25".  See:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1905462,-73.1938313,3a,37.5y,11.57h,95.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTGKNH6EX7sJ4-mjuCdfpUQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

What makes it seem like CT 25 has priority is at the split, where CT 25 gets 3 lanes while CT 8 has only 2, and you have to merge right to get to them, as one lane comes in from the US 1/Boston Ave exit.  CT 25 was originally signed on local roads and the CT 8/25 connector was only CT 8, until the CT 25 expressway was built up to northern Trumbull.  It seems weird that the 6-lane CT 25 expressway (and 8 lanes in spots, if you include the truck lanes) ends in the middle of nowhere, but that's CT for ya. 

From plans I saw, one of the advance northbound 8/25 jct signs was due to be replaced as part of the state's spot overhead sign project, but never was, and I'm sure it'll now be included in the blanket Bridgeport-to-Shelton project.  The plans for that sign showed a "future" exit tab over the CT 25 portion, so its possible that at that point, CT 25 may be truncated to the jct and removed from the Bridgeport section of CT 8.  I guess it depends on how CT 25 exits get numbered... will the first solo 25 exit northbound become Exit 1 or Exit 4?  We'll see.

shadyjay

Route 9 signing project and exit renumbering contract was released today.  It replaces all signs, I-95 to Exit 16, along with the CT 17 and CT 82 connectors.  It also renumbers all exits by mileage, including those in the two northern CT 9 signing contracts from Exit 18 to I-84.  Some notes:

*  Yes, signs are being replaced in Middletown through the Acheson Drive section.  We're going to get some alphabet soup southbound for present Exits 12-15, which will become Exits 23A-23D.  Present NB Exit 12 will become Exit 22.
*  All bridge mounts will be replaced with ground signage

*  Like the other CT 9 projects and the southernmost CT 8 project, entrance signs will resume being extruded aluminum, not sheet aluminum.
*  Exit services, Park & Ride, and town line signs will be denoted by sheet aluminum signs.  Not sure why CT no longer uses the "service bar"... that looked nice on signs!
*  Some exits have had destinations altered.  "82/East Haddam/Moodus" becomes "82/East Haddam/Haddam" in both directions.  In some cases, the secondary destination has
    been moved to a secondary extruded sign.
*  There are a few errors in the plans, which hopefully will be corrected before signs go up in the field.  My favorite is the "Speed Limit 65" sign just after the "Speed limit Ahead
    45 MPH".  There's also an "Old Saybrook Town Line" sign northbound which should be an "Essex Town Line" sign.
*  Some ATTRACTIONS logo signs are going to go up. 

Plans can be found here:
https://biznet.ct.gov/scp_search/BidDetail.aspx?CID=54644

rushfan01760

shadyjay

Oh that will be coming down this year, if not next, as that was part of Route 9 Phase I (Exit 25 to I-84).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.