News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fugazi

Here's an excerpt of the A-410 project map. It used to be on the MTQ website before they rebuilt it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Fugazi on November 24, 2014, 10:50:15 PM
Here's an excerpt of the A-410 project map. It used to be on the MTQ website before they rebuilt it.

Cool, thanks for posting. 

Alps

Quote from: Fugazi on November 24, 2014, 10:50:15 PM

What did the old 108/143 bridge look like? I didn't even know it was rebuilt, the scars are only apparent when I know what I'm looking for.

Fugazi

Quote from: Alps on December 09, 2014, 07:50:55 PM
What did the old 108/143 bridge look like? I didn't even know it was rebuilt, the scars are only apparent when I know what I'm looking for.
Unless I'm mistaken, the old bridge still appears to be available on GSV! old bridge vs new bridge.

Alps

Quote from: Fugazi on December 09, 2014, 08:39:40 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 09, 2014, 07:50:55 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the old bridge still appears to be available on GSV! old bridge vs new bridge.
Clearly, I was expected to look along the bike path. >_<

webfil

Work to extend eastward Autoroute 70 is nearing the end of its suspension. Premier Philippe Couillard announced that the freeway will be extended towards Bagotville CFB.

Also, road to Opitciwan (logging road 0212, topic here) will get 2-lane bridges and be reconfigurated in some places to ensure "enhanced comfort and security". No pavement, though. Opitciwonok started to go shopping in Val-d'Or instead of Roberval, because routes 1046, 1009 are better maintained than 0212. Roberval merchants cried to the government about it (whose chief occurs to be local MP), hence the investments.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/03/12/quebec-annonce-1754-m--en-investissements-routiers

Alps

Quote from: webfil on March 13, 2015, 06:34:39 PM
Work to extend eastward Autoroute 70 is nearing the end of its suspension. Premier Philippe Couillard announced that the freeway will be extended towards Bagotville CFB.

Also, road to Opitciwan (logging road 0212, topic here) will get 2-lane bridges and be reconfigurated in some places to ensure "enhanced comfort and security". No pavement, though. Opitciwonok started to go shopping in Val-d'Or instead of Roberval, because routes 1046, 1009 are better maintained than 0212. Roberval merchants cried to the government about it (whose chief occurs to be local MP), hence the investments.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/03/12/quebec-annonce-1754-m--en-investissements-routiers
I have found interesting that if A-70 were extended all the way to a hypothetical St. Lawrence River crossing, it would tie into A-85. Really, 85 should be numbered east-west, except it intersects 20 and heads to north-south NB 2.

NE2

Eastern Quebec's directions are 90 degrees off from the predominant Appalachian directions.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: Alps on March 14, 2015, 12:53:20 AM
I have found interesting that if A-70 were extended all the way to a hypothetical St. Lawrence River crossing, it would tie into A-85. Really, 85 should be numbered east-west, except it intersects 20 and heads to north-south NB 2.

NB 2 is km-marked west to east, with its exit 1 just east of the QC/NB border. A-85, and the QC 185 segments not yet upgraded to Autoroute, are km-marked south to north, with its exit 1 just west of the QC/NB border. I agree that A-85/QC 185 should've been marked west to east, but it would've been better to do that before the new A-85 segments and exits were built between St-Louis-du-Ha! Ha! and the border.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Quebec does directions based on the St. Lawrence.  Parallel = est/ouest, perpendicular = nord/sud.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webfil

Quote from: Alps on March 14, 2015, 12:53:20 AM
Quote from: webfil on March 13, 2015, 06:34:39 PM

Don't bother your mind with such thoughts. I would be surprised that any trafic volume growth in a 100-year time lapse would ever justify a multi-dozen-billion dollar, 20-kilometre bridge. Seriously.

The tridaily, summer-only 100-car ferry route suffice for now.

AsphaltPlanet

Some new photos of Autoroute 73 south of Quebec City.  Quebec's MTQ has been busy over the past couple of years extending Autoroute 73 southerly with the ultimate goal of completing a four lane highway between Quebec City and Saint-Georges later in 2016.

These photos are similar to those shared by Oscar last year in this thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13846.0

Some pictures:

A-73 currently ends at Chemin du Golf, north of Beauceville, QC.

Construction underway east of Notre-Dame-des-Pins

A massive structure is being constructed overtop of the Gilbert River

A short section of four lane autoroute opened east of Saint-Georges a couple of years ago.  This view looks northerly approaching the northern-most interchange of this short discontinuous segment.

View of the completed section of A-73 east of Saint-Georges approaching the optimistically named Famine River.

Autoroute 73 will end at a roundabout with Route 204 east of Saint-Georges.

Approaching the roundabout with Autoroute 73 along Route 204.

More photos (and full-size versions of the above photos) here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/73/index.html
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/R/204/index.html
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 08, 2015, 08:10:37 AM
Some new photos of Autoroute 73 south of Quebec City.  Quebec's MTQ has been busy over the past couple of years extending Autoroute 73 southerly with the ultimate goal of completing a four lane highway between Quebec City and Saint-Georges later in 2016.

Yuck on that US 201 shield (not-centred, series E or EM). The MTQ has done a much better job before:

https://goo.gl/maps/wYl0D

Thanks for the pictures.

Edit: Fixed link.

J N Winkler

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 08, 2015, 11:08:26 AMYuck on that US 201 shield (not-centred, series E or EM). The MTQ has done a much better job before:

http://goo.gl/maps/3ySKQ

I take your point, but I think that shield is a bit of an exception.  My impression (garnered both from visiting Québec in person about 16 years ago and, more recently, studying the pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets I can find) is that MTQ tries to deploy Series E Modified in all guide-sign shields, including not just route and autoroute shields for its own roads but also Interstate shields.

The shields you and AsphaltPlanet posted are actually the first US route shields in Québec I can remember seeing.  I don't know if MTQ has actually tried to clone US state route shields, but there are just two bordering states (NY and NH) where the state route shield is not a generic square.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

Quotebut there are just two bordering states (NY and NH) where the state route shield is not a generic square.

Ahem...

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2015, 03:15:06 PMAhem...

Oops!  Sorry.  Now that I think about it again, it is actually Maine that is the exception in having a generic square for its state route shield.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

lordsutch

Pretty sure "USA" is not a French word (that would be "É.-U."). MTQ may need to have a word with the language police.

webfil

Quote from: lordsutch on June 08, 2015, 07:43:41 PMPretty sure "USA" is not a French word (that would be "É.-U."). MTQ may need to have a word with the language police.
:eyebrow:
Neither are french "New York", "New Hampshire", "Toronto", "Ottawa", "Sherbrooke", "Beaconsfield", though they appear on signs.

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 08, 2015, 11:21:20 AM
The shields you and AsphaltPlanet posted are actually the first US route shields in Québec I can remember seeing.  I don't know if MTQ has actually tried to clone US state route shields, but there are just two bordering states (NY and NH) where the state route shield is not a generic square.
The only foreign trailblazers that MTQ signs are NHS routes connections ― with the sole exceptions of ON-101 and ON-34 that are not signed from Québec. US-201 is the only US-route connecting to Canada's NHS in Québec, while there are no state routes that do.

Saint-Georges is in Beauce-Sartigan, not Les Etchemins, JSYK.

SP Cook

Quote from: webfil on June 08, 2015, 08:54:06 PM

Neither are french "New York", "New Hampshire", "Toronto", "Ottawa", "Sherbrooke", "Beaconsfield", though they appear on signs.

That is a matter of opinion.  I used to work for a guy (total certified jerk, but that is off-topic), who had been a language guy in the Air Force.   One day I said that I guess my first name was easy to translate (since it is out of the Bible, and thus has a cognate in pretty much every language).  He said no, that you never translate proper nouns.  If your name is Matthew, then that is your name.  You are not Mateo in Spain, Matthieu in France, and so on.  Likewise, he maintained that New York is New York in every language, you do not translate New as Neuvo, Nouveau, Neu, Nowy and so on.

If you remember when the Olympics were in Turin, NBC (and everybody else) called the place by its Italian name, Torino.

Then again, the Catholic Church disagrees, translating the name of the popes.  So I guess it is a matter of opinion.

Anyway, I seem to remember some signs in Quebec that read l'Etat de New York and ville de New York.

In any event, "Toronto" in French is "Toronto".  It is actually a Mohawk word.

1995hoo

On the other hand, a certain chicken joint is known as Poulet Frite Kentucky in Quebec due to the language laws. I suppose one might argue that "Fried Chicken" is a generic term describing the product, but I think most people would disagree and would accept that "Kentucky Fried Chicken" (or "KFC") is a proper noun as the name of the restaurant.

Consider also that several provinces have different names in French (Île du Prince Édouard; Nouveau-Brunswick; Columbie Britannique; Nouvelle-Écosse; Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 08, 2015, 10:46:55 PM
On the other hand, a certain chicken joint is known as Poulet Frite Kentucky in Quebec due to the language laws.

I've seen at least one PFK well outside Quebec (in Ontario's Niagara region) and the reach of those language laws.

Any plans to fill the gap between Beauceville and Saint-Georges earlier, as a two-lane Autoroute? The construction photo you posted (thanks!) indicates no such intention, with both roadways similarly far from completion.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SignGeek101

I take your point, but I think that shield is a bit of an exception.  My impression (garnered both from visiting Québec in person about 16 years ago and, more recently, studying the pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets I can find) is that MTQ tries to deploy Series E Modified in all guide-sign shields, including not just route and autoroute shields for its own roads but also Interstate shields.

I think I'd rather see Clearview shields than than EM ones. Looks ugly. I've seen a few Ontario shields in series D though.

Come to think of it, are there any other US hwy shields in Canada other than the US 1 shields in NB?

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 08, 2015, 10:46:55 PM
On the other hand, a certain chicken joint is known as Poulet Frite Kentucky in Quebec due to the language laws. I suppose one might argue that "Fried Chicken" is a generic term describing the product, but I think most people would disagree and would accept that "Kentucky Fried Chicken" (or "KFC") is a proper noun as the name of the restaurant.

Consider also that several provinces have different names in French (Île du Prince Édouard; Nouveau-Brunswick; Columbie Britannique; Nouvelle-Écosse; Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador).

Yet Canadian Tire (an outdoor store in Canada) is still "Canadian Tire" in Quebec. "East side Marios" (the restaurant) is still "East side Marios". I heard that the word 'Stop' on stop signs is allowed in Montreal in certain sections, but I might be mistaken.

Ontario says Etats Unis for the USA, and Quebec uses "Nouveau Brunswick" for NB.

ARMOURERERIC

I looked at Google satellite and comparing the location of the Gilbert River Bridge construction with the northern terminus of the St George's section, they do not seem to align very well.

lordsutch

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 08, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
I heard that the word 'Stop' on stop signs is allowed in Montreal in certain sections, but I might be mistaken.

Legally "Stop" is considered a French word by Québec (presumably because it is used universally on octagonal red signs in France, Belgium, and Monaco), even though "Arrêt" is preferred, so it can be signed alone.

However, the Canadian federal government apparently doesn't think "Stop" is a French word, since they (redundantly?) translate it at border crossings and federal facilities like airports.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: oscar on June 08, 2015, 11:09:50 PM
Any plans to fill the gap between Beauceville and Saint-Georges earlier, as a two-lane Autoroute? The construction photo you posted (thanks!) indicates no such intention, with both roadways similarly far from completion.

It looks to me like A-73 will open as a four lane road, and not in stages as a super-2.  I think construction is supposed to be done by the end of construction season this year.  It looked to me like most of the structural work had been completed for the extension, but a lot of rock work and grading seems to remain.  Construction is progressing well on the twinning work near Sainte-Marie.  I quite like the area to the south of Quebec City.  Some of the roads are pretty entertaining to drive.

I took some photos of the A-85 extension towards Nouveau-Brunswick, and A-20 east towards Trois Pistoles as well, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with the photos yet.  The A-85 photos that I have, again, aren't really all that different than what you posted photos of last year.  A-85 is quite a road though, I'm looking forward to driving the highway again once the northbound lanes have been completed through Degelis.

I don't know if anybody knows this, but a section of R-112 has been permanently closed for the past couple of years west of Thetford Mines.  I don't know the full story behind the closure, but from what I gathered from the French article I (attempted to) read, the mining operations have undermined the stability of the existing highway.  A new permanent realigned road is currently under construction.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.