News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

They already try a thru traffic restriction on the east end.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

webny99

vdeane

Yep, those are used in the Adirondacks, at least off the interstate.  Essex County went all-in; others are handling things as they get replaced.  The Catskills use white on brown.  This was part of the compromise with FHWA over the gold on brown signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

astralentity

Are the gold on brown signs staying, or is that now a bygone era?

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on August 24, 2021, 06:56:22 AM
Why would they go anywhere?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

astralentity

Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2021, 06:58:19 AM

I thought they were becoming a bit of a controversy and that we wouldn't be seeing much of them anymore.  Personally, I like them and are a good reminder that you're inside the blue line.

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on August 24, 2021, 07:00:07 AM
Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2021, 06:58:19 AM

I thought they were becoming a bit of a controversy and that we wouldn't be seeing much of them anymore.  Personally, I like them and are a good reminder that you're inside the blue line.
Haven't heard anything like that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: astralentity on August 24, 2021, 06:56:22 AM
They're staying in the Adirondacks, though I don't think they're being used for everything they used to be (such as hospital signs).  They're gone in the Catskills, replaced with white on brown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

yakra

Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2021, 10:42:42 PM
The Catskills use white on brown.  This was part of the compromise with FHWA over the gold on brown signs.
What's this about? Got a link I can read up on?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Quote from: yakra on August 24, 2021, 11:19:58 AM
Quote from: vdeane on August 23, 2021, 10:42:42 PM
The Catskills use white on brown.  This was part of the compromise with FHWA over the gold on brown signs.
What's this about? Got a link I can read up on?
From the 2009 thread: https://web.archive.org/web/20100219041442/http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/511311.html%3Fnav=5008

The Catskill signs do indeed use white on brown with placards on top of some signs.

Buffaboy

I missed out on the US 219 discussion, but I'll just add that I thought that landslides were what ultimately led the extension to be put on a "hiatus", as well as disputes with the Seneca Nation. Although I was a bit young to know what was going on then, I still paid more attention to it than most people who were older than me did. I didn't know about all of the other details though, which is interesting.

Even if they could get it extended to Ellicottville, that would at least be somewhat worthwhile. The extension 10 years ago is known as the "bridge to nowhere". I'll admit, it may have shaved off a minute or two from my dad's commute from when he was used to work down in Cattaraugus County.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

webny99

It appears that I-87/I-287 is closed in Rockland County from NY 59 to NY 303? Curious if this is related to the storm moving through the area or if something else is going on. Thruway website has this to say:

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on September 02, 2021, 08:02:16 AM
It appears that I-87/I-287 is closed in Rockland County from NY 59 to NY 303? Curious if this is related to the storm moving through the area or if something else is going on. Thruway website has this to say:

Storm-related.  NYC is hurting.

webny99

I guess so.. now I see there's a bunch of other roads closed in Westchester, NYC, and northern Jersey.

kernals12

Greater New York has not seen this many traffic snarls since the pandemic started, and it's happening in the middle of the night!

Jim

Check out some of the video from the NYC metro and you'll easily see why so many roads are having problems last night and this morning.

Fortunately, I'm north and west of where the sharp cutoff was in the heavy rains and saw just some light rain for several hours.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2021, 08:08:40 AM

Will my trip to NYS be affected by this storm? Going next week.

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on September 02, 2021, 11:22:43 AM

Check 511ny.org as you get closer to your trip.

empirestate

There's a lot of water. From my house I can hear Fishkill Creek crashing and thrashing through Beacon, almost half a mile away. Never heard that before!

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2021, 11:35:40 AM

Quote from: snowc on September 02, 2021, 11:22:43 AM

Check 511ny.org as you get closer to your trip.
My trip is now cancelled due to delta.

crispy93

Quote from: empirestate on September 03, 2021, 02:11:14 AM
There's a lot of water. From my house I can hear Fishkill Creek crashing and thrashing through Beacon, almost half a mile away. Never heard that before!

Hey neighbor! I saw the Bronx River Parkway under water at Mile Square Rd and places with abandoned cars where they were floated from where they were parked.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

TheDon102

I was driving on the Deegan yesterday, and lots of seemingly abandoned cars on the cobblestone shoulder.

Alps

Quote from: TheDon102 on September 05, 2021, 04:37:20 PM
I was driving on the Deegan yesterday, and lots of seemingly abandoned cars on the cobblestone shoulder.
Both sides. The NB ones had glass smashed in. All were covered in dirt. Definitely abandoned cars from the storm and were causing significant gawking delays.

The Ghostbuster

So row, row, row your boat, gently down the freeway?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.