News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washroom Atendants

Started by Brandon, August 03, 2018, 06:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: jon daly on August 06, 2018, 04:02:21 PM
I occasionally see a full service station. There's definitely one in Seekonk, MA and one in Riverside RI.

I've never seen an elevator operator.

Funny enough, I've seen an elevator operator at least once every year for the past 3 years. Twice in the John Hancock Tower, and once in Denver back in 2015.

Washroom attendant, I have seen them but not for a long time. Last time was an upscale banquet hall during a wedding maybe 5 years ago
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SP Cook

Around here there are two stations, both Exxon, that have full serve.  One each in the rich parts of Huntington and Charleston.  Charges a confiscatory price, typical customer is a blue haired widow in a 10 year old Buick.

I know of one building with an elevator operator.  It is a pre WWII office building in Charleston which has the old type of elevator where the doors must be opened manually.  Probably cheaper to pay the old lady that runs it than to upgrade the building.

abefroman329

The Fine Arts Building in Chicago has a bank of four elevators, all manually operated by humans (as in, the elevators are stopped and started by hand. The operators do not pull them up and down.)

Bringing the thread full circle, I've always wondered if you're supposed to tip the operators. Maybe at Christmas.

wriddle082

Back during the late-80's/early-90's glory days of SNL, there was a skit where Harvey Keitel and a female cast member go to a creepy full-service upscale restaurant, and Harvey goes to the restroom.  It has a single toilet and sink, and Kevin Nealon plays the creepy bathroom attendant.  Kevin stands right over Harvey's Head while he takes a dump, and at one point sprays air freshener.  Dries his hands off, lint rolls his suit jacket, and everything.

Every time I think of the concept of a bathroom attendant I think of that skit.

abefroman329

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 05, 2018, 11:40:12 AM
I'm having a really hard time finding it, but I remember a funny SNL skit from the 1990s with Kevin Nealon and Harvey Keitel where Nealon played a bathroom attendant in a single-use bathroom and Keitel played the, er, bathroom user.

Big John

roadman65

State and County Fairs use them, and you must tip them.  I usually do not like to pay to take a leak, but I do anyhow cause I know how tough it is to make it and I am sure the fair staff is not fair with wages.

I do ignore those who are called valets as to me they get in your way handing you a towel that you very much can obtain yourself looking for a few bucks out of your wallet.  Some places like the Hard Rock Cafe uses them as its an upscale thing that they are (or were ) trying out for class.  To me let me pee, as I do not need a towel or fancy soap shoved at me!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:25:52 AM
State and County Fairs use them, and you must tip them.  I usually do not like to pay to take a leak, but I do anyhow cause I know how tough it is to make it and I am sure the fair staff is not fair with wages.

I do ignore those who are called valets as to me they get in your way handing you a towel that you very much can obtain yourself looking for a few bucks out of your wallet.  Some places like the Hard Rock Cafe uses them as its an upscale thing that they are (or were ) trying out for class.  To me let me pee, as I do not need a towel or fancy soap shoved at me!
I would say it's equally plausible that the valets are getting screwed on wages somehow. I don't think the way to show dissatisfaction with their presence is by not tipping.

tribar

You must tip them? How is this enforced?

jeffandnicole

State and County Fairs use them, and you must tip them.

I'm quite sure you can just walk out.

roadman65

Quote from: tribar on August 13, 2018, 01:06:36 PM

You must should tip them? How is this enforced?
Should not must.

My error.

And in a restroom, I do not expect to find a man trying to solicit money for an act I can do myself.  If I do not create work for him, he cannot work for it.  Simple.  Plus I usually do not have small bills, hence the ATMs.  Plus nowadays if they are working for tips, good luck as most do not even carry cash anymore thanks to Mr. Debit.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on August 15, 2018, 07:12:54 PM
And in a restroom, I do not expect to find a man trying to solicit money for an act I can do myself. 

Careful there.

inkyatari

What's more bizarre is that at the planet hollywood one, the attendant said, after handing me a towel, "Would you like to try one of my colognes?" and lo and behold, he had a basket of colognes there...
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on August 16, 2018, 08:50:22 AM
What's more bizarre is that at the planet hollywood one, the attendant said, after handing me a towel, "Would you like to try one of my colognes?" and lo and behold, he had a basket of colognes there...
Oh, that's standard. Along with gum and mints, they have ways of making all stenches disappear.

Roadrunner75

I haven't encountered a restroom attendant in awhile, then this thread comes along and sure enough I encounter one yesterday: Company summer outing at Monmouth Park, a local horse racetrack.  He had his small basket of mints and was handing out paper towels from the dispenser next to him, while half the crowd at the sinks just grabbed their own paper towels from the dispenser on the other end (he needs to station an assistant attendant next to that one).  Otherwise I encounter them occasionally at weddings and formal events.

roadman65

Why I don't like attendants is the fact that I feel guilty these guys are there as always when I use their restrooms to answer the call I am usually broke.  At one time a dollar was a great tip but we all know that now what used to be a buck is now up to $5.  That is why I hate them, not that I do not appreciate them, but many should be in upscale places where the clientel is got bills to hand out real easily.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on August 18, 2018, 08:10:10 PM
Why I don't like attendants is the fact that I feel guilty these guys are there as always when I use their restrooms to answer the call I am usually broke.  At one time a dollar was a great tip but we all know that now what used to be a buck is now up to $5.  That is why I hate them, not that I do not appreciate them, but many should be in upscale places where the clientel is got bills to hand out real easily.
I don't know, I still tip a buck to washroom attendants, two bucks to a valet, two bucks a bag to a redcap/skycap/bellman, etc. and have been for 10-20 years.  I try to make sure I have some cash on hand at all times, particularly when I know I'm going to run into someone who works for tips.

Washroom attendants are a sticky wicket.  When I was young and broke, I would dodge them like crazy in order to justify not being able to afford to tip them.

jeffandnicole

I've never felt the need to tip more than $1, especially when it comes to bathroom attendants.

$1 in 1975 equals $5 today.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 19, 2018, 11:43:13 AM

I've never felt the need to tip more than $1, especially when it comes to bathroom attendants.

$1 in 1975 equals $5 today.
I would tip more than $1 if I took one of his loose cigarettes; if he bought them by the pack, he'd be losing money on that transaction.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 19, 2018, 12:31:39 PM
I would tip more than $1 if I took one of his loose cigarettes; if he bought them by the pack, he'd be losing money on that transaction.

In my experience (from signs at convenience stores, not from actually buying cigarettes), packs are $8.xx in Massachusetts and $6.xx in New Hampshire. With 20 in a pack, that's not losing money.

(edited to fix quote)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on August 19, 2018, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 19, 2018, 12:31:39 PMI would tip more than $1 if I took one of his loose cigarettes; if he bought them by the pack, he'd be losing money on that transaction.
In my experience (from signs at convenience stores, not from actually buying cigarettes), packs are $8.xx in Massachusetts and $6.xx in New Hampshire. With 20 in a pack, that's not losing money.
They're well above $10 a pack here and everywhere I've lived.

Rothman

Why anyone smokes when the costs are so high is beyond me. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2018, 09:26:33 PM

Humans have a knack for not making decisions on a rational basis. Especially when they are under a lot of stress, which is often what motivates people to smoke. There is, after all, no other stress relieving drug that is both available without a prescription and acceptable to be under the influence of at work.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

It's not a habit, it's an addiction.  Nicotine is as addictive as crack, IIRC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

We all struggle with addiction. Anyone who says they don't is either lying or doesn't understand addiction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.