News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What the hell is this?

Started by roadman65, April 14, 2021, 11:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Looks like an amplitheater.

kphoger

That's a Doppler VORTAC (VHF Omnidirectional Range/Tactical Aircraft Control) array.  Similar to radar.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

-- US 175 --

There is a duplicate one SW of the I-35E/Royal Lane exit in NW Dallas.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2021, 12:12:42 PM
That's a Doppler VORTAC (VHF Omnidirectional Range/Tactical Aircraft Control) array.  Similar to radar.
Wonder why it's on a raised platform like that.  Most aren't that...fortified.

Sort of the reverse of radar.  VORs aren't for detecting aircraft, but are navigational aids.  This one in particular not only sends out the signal by which an aircraft could follow to the VOR, but probably also conveys distance and speed data.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2021, 11:36:08 AM

https://goo.gl/maps/whqy1vq2sVFnAXwa8
At south entrance to DFW in Texas?

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2021, 12:12:42 PM

It reminds me of the smaller weather radars used by amateurs.  But it looks so much like the monsterous (60-foot wide) radar dishes that were installed all over Britain during World War II. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.