New "Freeway Entrance" sign discovered in Portland Or.

Started by Thunderbyrd316, October 11, 2015, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderbyrd316

Sorry I was not able to get a pic yesterday afternoon but I have discovered a brand new California / Washington style "Freeway Entrance" sign where N. Going Street meets Interstate 5. And it is accompanied by a very un-Oregon like circle, slash, bicycle prohibition sign which I can not ever recall seeing at any Oregon freeway entrance.

Apparently, it has been there since at least July because when I checked Street View (via ClassyGMap) just now... well, there it is. I am surprised I have not seen it before yesterday as I pass by that area fairly frequently.

Link: http://gokml.net/maps#ll=45.555321,-122.679265&z=17&t=r 

jakeroot

Good for ODOT. I wish more states/provinces did this. Washington/California/Nevada is a good start, but this should be a nationwide thing.

Any reason the MUTCD hasn't made this a requirement? They're very helpful signs, and say a lot without being wordy (though a symbol would be better)...

A) this is the road you're looking for, if you're looking for the freeway, and;
B) this road likely has some special restrictions, so those not in a car should be careful.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on October 11, 2015, 05:46:44 PM
Good for ODOT. I wish more states/provinces did this.

Some states/provinces probably have the sign in their library, but simply don't post it in the field. Here's BC's example (signs updated Jan 2010):

Can be found here (page 36): http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/signs/2010_Catalogue/Standard_Traffic_Signs/Guide_Signs.pdf

As for it being in FHWA, the design could be old... maybe.

noelbotevera

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 11, 2015, 08:03:01 PM

Some states/provinces probably have the sign in their library, but simply don't post it in the field. Here's BC's example (signs updated Jan 2010):

Can be found here (page 36): http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/signs/2010_Catalogue/Standard_Traffic_Signs/Guide_Signs.pdf

In California from road pictures, the "Freeway Ends" and "Freeway Begins" signs are sometimes on BGS' displayed with a black on yellow background and lettering. I-710 has one near its end at Valley Blvd.

myosh_tino

The BC version of the Freeway Entrance signs looks similar to the one added to the 2012 SHSM by the FHWA except it's a white-on-green sign.  Here are the Caltrans versions of the above 3 signs...

Caltrans white-on-green Freeway Entrance Sign (Calif sign code G92)...
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/control-devices/specs/G92.pdf

Caltrans black-on-white Begin Freeway Sign (Calif sign code R57)...
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/control-devices/specs/R57.pdf

Caltrans black-on-white End Freeway Sign (Calif sign code R58)...
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/control-devices/specs/R58.pdf

You'll note that the word order is reversed from the BC ones (Begin Freeway vs Freeway Begins).

California does have a black-on-yellow End Freeway sign (Calif sign code W69) but it's only supposed to be used as an advanced warning sign with a distance message... i.e. END FREEWAY 1 MILE.

FWIW, here's a typical California freeway entrance assembly...

Good for ODOT. I wish more states/provinces did this. Washington/California/Nevada is a good start, but this should be a nationwide thing.

This may have been before you joined jakeroot but there's a post about Oregon's first use of the California-style freeway entrance assemblies back in 2010...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3389.0
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jakeroot

As for the black-on-white sign panels with 'Freeway' wording, I am not aware of any installations in BC, despite it being an official sign.

EDIT: Found one...sort of (and it does correspond to the current described dimensions for these sorts of signs):

The design has been around for a while. I'm sure new installations would be in Clearview. That said, there are new signs installed with FHWA text, chiefly the km-markers and parking signs. Regulation seems to suggest that HOV signs should be in FHWA, but most of it is in Clearview.

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 11, 2015, 09:56:02 PM

This may have been before you joined jakeroot but there's a post about Oregon's first use of the California-style freeway entrance assemblies back in 2010...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3389.0

I know Oregon uses it intermittently (I've seen some in the flesh), I'm just glad to see more of them.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on October 11, 2015, 10:26:00 PM

The design has been around for a while. I'm sure new installations would be in Clearview. That said, there are new signs installed with FHWA text, chiefly the km-markers and parking signs. Regulation seems to suggest that HOV signs should be in FHWA, but most of it is in Clearview.

BC is just a mish mash of FHWA and Clearview. The manuals suggest most (if not all) warning signs are in Clearview, while most regulatory signage is Clearview, with some signs in FHWA here and there. These types of signs are still FHWA for example. This one was installed in 2010-2011: https://goo.gl/maps/NBmQF3YAERC2

Highway Gothic and Helvetica are still official fonts in BC.

QuoteThe Ministry utilizes 3 typefaces for its traffic signs:
Typeface Name Typeface Application

Clearview: For extensive use ONLY on ASTM 9 (high reflect) signs such as Custom G1, G5 & G6 Guide, Construction, Warning or critical Regulatory (IE: R-001 Stop) signs.

Highway Gothic: Primary typeface used for ASTM 1&3 (low & medium reflect) signs.

Helvetica: Secondary typeface used for ASTM 1&3 (low & medium reflect) signs.

(from the MOT)

I'm not sure why BC doesn't just make it simple and make everything Clearview honestly. BC tends to use it well most of the time anyway.

KEK Inc.

Oregon only really uses it conditionally.  It's used on a Banfield onramp since it's a lane that splits out.  Here, the entire road turns into a freeway on-ramp, so people who want to go on Going St. beyond I-5 should find alternate routes.
Take the road less traveled.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: KEK Inc. on October 14, 2015, 04:32:34 PM
Oregon only really uses it conditionally.  It's used on a Banfield onramp since it's a lane that splits out.  Here, the entire road turns into a freeway on-ramp, so people who want to go on Going St. beyond I-5 should find alternate routes.

There are (were?) 3 "freeway entrance" signs that I know of. In addition to the Banfield one, there's also a pair at the I-5 N onramp at Exit 66. I used to remember where a third one was, but have since forgotten. Maybe somewhere in the Gorge?
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

luokou

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on October 15, 2015, 02:25:00 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on October 14, 2015, 04:32:34 PM

There are (were?) 3 "freeway entrance" signs that I know of. In addition to the Banfield one, there's also a pair at the I-5 N onramp at Exit 66. I used to remember where a third one was, but have since forgotten. Maybe somewhere in the Gorge?

Kuebler Blvd. I-5 N on-ramp. As far as I know, this is the only pair that is set up California style, which I like quite a bit and wish would be done more regularly in Oregon.

roadfro

Quote from: luokou on October 15, 2015, 01:49:41 PM
As far as I know, this is the only pair that is set up California style, which I like quite a bit and wish would be done more regularly in Oregon.

I think the main reason more states don't use the Freeway Entrance assembly ("California style") like this is that it's not something that is in the National MUTCD.

The "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign is a national MUTCD sign (D13-3; D13-3a incorporates an arrow) that is discussed in Section 2D.46 as an option. There appears to be only one MUTCD figure where it is depicted, as an example of a partial cloverleaf in which the exit and entrance ramps are right next to each other. The figure shows the option of using the Freeway Entrance sign or a directional assembly, not both together.

FYI: The MUTCD freeway entrance sign is a little smaller than the Caltrans version, which has lessmore green space and looser letter spacing.

EDIT: Corrected my description of Caltrans sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

wriddle082

The only eastern states I've seen "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs used in are NC and WV.

I recall the WV ones from my youth, and though I don't pass through there very often anymore, I did pass through there last year and can't remember if I saw any of not.

The only place I've seen them used in NC is at various on-ramps leading to I-277 in Uptown Charlotte.  Mainly the ones along the Brookshire Frwy section, not so much the John Belk Frwy section.

jakeroot

From Washington's Traffic Manual (Page 2-64):

Install the HIGHWAY ENTRANCE sign (E12-101) on two-lane two-way undivided highways where interchanges are provided at intersecting crossroads. Install signs on both sides of the on-ramp, facing approaching traffic, to clearly identify the entrance to the on-ramp.
Install the FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign (E12-201) on both sides of each freeway or expressway on‑ramp, facing approaching traffic, to identify the ramp entrance.

There is no guidance for posting the signs with route markers, but that's because Washington phased out piece-meal route markers (mostly).

There are some examples in the field where route markers are provided, but they aren't always attached to the entrance assembly itself: here and here.

FreewayDan

There used to be a Freeway Entrance sign in Houston to I-45 North from Spur 261.
https://goo.gl/maps/VpNrUt6Vj3q

It was eliminated when new flyover ramps were built from I-45 South to Spur 261 and from Spur 261 to I-45 North's right lane (the latter replaces a ramp that merged into I-45 North's left lane).  BTW,unlike the I-45 ramps at SH 242, the ramps at Spur 261 are free.
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/local-news/houston/042-2015.html

There's still some Freeway Entrance signs to I-45 North at F.M. 2004:
https://goo.gl/maps/avFVMvgksjk
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

mrsman

Even if not required by the national MUTCD, these signs are very good to have.  There are some intersections where a through street suddenly becomes a freeway entrance ramp.  These signs are very important in such situations.

JasonOfORoads

According to the sticker on the back of the sign, it was PBOT that posted the sign April 3, 2015, not ODOT.

Which makes me wonder if PBOT is also responsible for the one on the onramp to I-84 East at Exit 3.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Alex

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 15, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
The only eastern states I've seen "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs used in are NC and WV.

I recall the WV ones from my youth, and though I don't pass through there very often anymore, I did pass through there last year and can't remember if I saw any of not.

The only place I've seen them used in NC is at various on-ramps leading to I-277 in Uptown Charlotte.  Mainly the ones along the Brookshire Frwy section, not so much the John Belk Frwy section.

West Virginia still uses them, especially along I-77 north of Charleston.

Did not know that about NC. Are those coupled with shield assemblies?

luokou

Here's a couple more along I-5.

OR-34 to I-5 South. The Northbound ramp is also set up like this, with the Oregon style signage and California style entrance assembly both being used.

Cloverdale Rd. entrance for I-5 south.

Henry

Quote from: Alex on October 19, 2015, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 15, 2015, 04:52:01 PM

West Virginia still uses them, especially along I-77 north of Charleston.

Did not know that about NC. Are those coupled with shield assemblies?
You mean to tell me MI does not use these signs, even though it calls its limited-access highways freeways? Shocking!

At least OR is on the bandwagon, joining CA and WA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Thunderbyrd316

Was "cruising around" on Street View (via ClassyGMap) this evening and discovered another Oregon "Freeway Entrance" sign, this one on the south bound on ramp to I-5 from highway 99 at the north end of Central Point. (Exit 35) The north bound on ramp however does NOT have such a sign. (Image date is April, 2012 so it has been there for a little while.)

Update: Just found another one on south bound on ramp to I-5 from highway 99 south of Ashland. (Exit 11) In the next day or two I will have to see how many more I can find.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.