News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TxDOT BUS LOOP I-70 Shield For Sale On Ebay

Started by Brian556, September 13, 2019, 05:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

:confused:Obviously, I-70 does not enter Texas. This sign was not mounted. It does have a TxDOT sticker on the back, but it looks like the ones that are typically on contractor-provided signs

BUSINESS I-70 Sign:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Retired-Texas-Loop-Interstate-70-Business-Highway-Sign/323914542620?hash=item4b6acfae1c:g:v5sAAOSweUxdcndD

BUSINESS I-40 Sign, with typical stickers on back for TxDOT-made signs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Retired-Texas-Loop-Interstate-40-Business-Highway-Sign/323907719149?hash=item4b6a678fed:g:0EcAAOSwTW1dc7zd

MNHighwayMan

The Ghostbuster

Maybe whoever made the sign was trying their hand at Fictional Highways. Or like MNHighwayMan posted, it could have been an error sign for an intended Business US 70 sign.

In_Correct

Quote from: Brian556 on September 13, 2019, 05:38:42 PM
:confused: Obviously, I-70 does not enter Texas. This sign was not mounted. It does have a TxDOT sticker on the back, but it looks like the ones that are typically on contractor-provided signs

BUSINESS I-70 Sign:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Retired-Texas-Loop-Interstate-70-Business-Highway-Sign/323914542620?hash=item4b6acfae1c:g:v5sAAOSweUxdcndD

BUSINESS I-40 Sign, with typical stickers on back for TxDOT-made signs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Retired-Texas-Loop-Interstate-40-Business-Highway-Sign/323907719149?hash=item4b6a678fed:g:0EcAAOSwTW1dc7zd

I made it better.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

J N Winkler

I think this sign must have taken early retirement.  It does have the sticker but also "1-13-19" in Sharpie on the back, so if it was posted at all, then it must not have been for long before the error was caught.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Mapmikey

The photos of the back show mounting holes but the photos from the front do not...?

MNHighwayMan

Mounting holes are pre-drilled, before sheeting is applied. Thus, the sheeting covers the mounting holes until the mounting bolts are punched through it.

Mapmikey

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 14, 2019, 10:09:38 PM
Mounting holes are pre-drilled, before sheeting is applied. Thus, the sheeting covers the mounting holes until the mounting bolts are punched through it.

I see...I was thrown because it looks like you can see through to the object the sign is sitting on from the backside picture

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 14, 2019, 10:35:35 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 14, 2019, 10:09:38 PM
I see...I was thrown because it looks like you can see through to the object the sign is sitting on from the backside picture

I think it's just because the two are a very similar color, so it looks like open holes without actually being that.

wxfree

Somewhere north of Lipan there's a green Interstate sign with a four-digit number.  I've seen it but have never stopped to photograph it.  I need to do that before they take it down.  I think it's on FM 1189 where a short spur of that FM intersects at Dennis.  The usual sign for an FM spur is the same as a state highway spur sign, but on at least one side of the road, there's a junction sign or a guide sign pointing toward Business Interstate 1189.

The street view imagery is too old to show it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

wxfree

I wasn't doing anything else, so I went for a little drive.  Are there any other four-digit Interstate signs?

There are some more photos and a short report on the conditions at this link:
http://patternsandprinciples.com/otherfiles/rs/interstate1189.html

Brian556

Quote from: wxfree on September 15, 2019, 09:20:38 PM
I wasn't doing anything else, so I went for a little drive.  Are there any other four-digit Interstate signs?

God dang they're stupid

nguyenhm16

There's a sign for the FM 58 exit on Loop 287/US 59 in Lufkin that always makes me do a double take.

Echostatic

I don't understand how anybody could install that and say "yep, that's fine"
Travelled in part or in full.

SoCal Kid

Saw a tweet where Arizona DOT decided that an Interstate 84 shield in Arizona would be fine. Honestly, I still question these kinds of mistakes. Like people should give it a good look and approve it right?
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Brian556

There's was a standard interstate shield for a business route on I-45 at Ennis. GSV shows that its been fixed, but there's still this in town: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3287971,-96.6243161,3a,17.6y,11.43h,90.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF5zHhGZRtW3WytQfzZmJHA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And don't get me started on Corsicana, where BUS US 287 is signed US 287.

MNHighwayMan

So I ended up buying this sign. :) You can see more details about it in the sign collecting thread.

One question I have, though: what is the meaning/significance of the small B on the front, near the bottom? Are each of the business loops in Texas lettered? Or is it something else?

wxfree

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 20, 2019, 05:02:22 AM
So I ended up buying this sign. :) You can see more details about it in the sign collecting thread.

One question I have, though: what is the meaning/significance of the small B on the front, near the bottom? Are each of the business loops in Texas lettered? Or is it something else?

Each business route in Texas has a letter suffix, so that each designation is unique.  The letter is meant to be placed as that B is, but often it's left off.

This raises the question as to where that sign was meant to go.  The only business route 70 is for State Highway 70, and that's BS 70-G.

MNHighwayMan

Thanks! I've seen those letters on numerous other Texas business signs before. I just wasn't certain that's what they were for.

That second bit is intriguing, though! Adds to the sign's mystery even more.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 20, 2019, 06:12:18 AMThanks! I've seen those letters on numerous other Texas business signs before. I just wasn't certain that's what they were for.

The letter forms part of the route abbreviation when distance to a business route is listed on a mileage sign.  E.g., "BI 20J  7" means Business I-20 (J segment) in seven miles.

In addition to the letter, the word "Business" used also to be within the shield on business US route signs.  Now a separate "Business" tab is used, but the shield still has to have the letter.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brian556

To give a clear explanation of the small letter. Parent highways often have a business route in several towns along them. The purpose of the letter is to denote which one without having to say "The one in Rhome", for example, because that method would not work when doing paperwork.

MNHighwayMan

In case anyone is interested, the same seller listed yet another one of these erroneous BL I-70 signs a couple days ago.

Edit: Also, given that this one has "Shamrock" written on the back, and that Shamrock, TX has a BL I-40B, I suspect these signs were number mistakes, having 70 instead of 40.

cjk374

Quote from: Brian556 on September 17, 2019, 12:00:13 AM
Quote from: wxfree on September 15, 2019, 09:20:38 PM

God dang they're stupid

But it is such a work of art. They made an impossibility a reality.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.