News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: The 1-2-3 Road Sign CHALLE...
Last post by chays - Today at 10:55:51 PM
Buffalo with FM 2729
Quote from: silverback1065 on Today at 09:21:38 PMlocal news just announced it will open in August, but gave no date. 37 will die when this happens, it is already not a part of the sign plans for 69 on the NE side or the sign plans for it at this interchange on the south side, you can tell from what is already uncovered. I wonder if they will take them down in Monroe County that is the only area it's cosigned besides Hamilton county.

Taking down the remaining 37 shields is part of the ongoing sign replacement project, if memory serves.
General Highway Talk / Re: Novel lane markings?
Last post by Revive 755 - Today at 10:20:56 PM
The California double double yellow centerline isn't unique; Missouri does it on the shared four lane section of MO 5 between Camdenton and Lebanon. Streetview

Missouri has a triple yellow centerline for some of the other shared four lane corridors.
Example the shared four lane section of US 160 west of Poplar Bluff
Example on the shared four lane section of US 63 south of Rolla

How about reflectors mounted on an overpass to denote lanes?  There are a few occurrences of this on I-57 in far southern Illinois.
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 03:13:41 PMNot every border crossing is maintained by a DOT right up to international borders.  In the case of CA 905 it does end at the border at Postmile SD R11.737.  On the other hand, nearby I-5 ends short of the actual border at Postmile SD R0.305 (at Camino De La Plaza specifically). 

Of course, this kind of thing is where I tend to draw the line with the practice of being overly anal about clinching numbered highways.  Trying to cross international borders just to get a sliver of road maintained by a state isn't something I see as a worthwhile investment of time.  I'm not sure what is obtained by the practice aside from minor bragging rights on this forum and TM? 

Pfft.  Maintenance means little.  The route is what matters, no matter who maintains it (see also NYC).

What is obtained by clinching the entire route is knowing that you clinched the entire route and did not leave a sliver behind.  99% =/= 100%.

A lot of us wish it was that way out here.   Trouble is modern Caltrans and the legislature equate a Sign State Route to be what is on the active maintenance logs.  Marrying the Sign Route and Legislative Route definitions in 1964 had this as a side effect.  The 1934 Sign Route system didn't require Routes to be signed strictly on state maintained roads.

That isn't to say there aren't instances of left over signage on relinquished state highway segments.  On Pacific Southwest, I've brought up the situation with CA 187 still being signed despite it being fully relinquished back to Los Angeles.  It even has the caveat of the legislative definition still being on the books.  Most people (certainly not all) were of the opinion that CA 187 functionally doesn't exist.

This is the trouble with clinching sign routes.  Not all state DOTs nor all people in the community agree on what a sign route even is.  That being the case, all I can really say is that if driving up to a border for the sake of it means something to you then go for it.
General Highway Talk / Re: Ideas Exclusive To One Sta...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 10:10:31 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on Today at 03:06:40 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on Today at 03:00:17 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 09:07:27 AMI imagine there are a few other cities that are like this, so "exclusive" might be overselling it, but I really wish more cities would adopt backlit street signage to the extent Las Vegas has. I'm used to only seeing them in select corridors, but in Vegas they are used at just about every single signalized intersection.

As long as the backlighting is maintained!

We have some formerly backlit BGSes from the 1960s in San Francisco for I-80 east...that have not had their lighting adjusted at all in decades:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7779028,-122.4002709,3a,75y,348.73h,97.16t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sx_Jurvr-6005ShBiPvu65w!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Dx_Jurvr-6005ShBiPvu65w%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.share%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26yaw%3D348.7255161774147%26pitch%3D-7.155781090405995%26thumbfov%3D90!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu

That sign must have looked amazing when it was brand new! I agree, the problem is that such signs are not maintained properly in the USA. Other countries, on the other hand, do take good care of backlit signs and they look sharp.

Vegas is pretty good at maintaining ours. I've only seen one or two signs not working in the time I've been living here.

Besides, these days, with LEDs, the maintenance required is pretty low.
Northeast / Re: Interstate 81 in Syracuse
Last post by Rothman - Today at 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on Today at 07:58:33 PMSo far, Google Maps has only renumbered Exit 9 on Interstate 81 as Exit 38. All the other exits on the rest of 81, Interstate/NY 481, and Interstate/NY 690 still have the old sequential exit numbers. I just checked the Interstate 81 and Interstate 481 pages on Wikipedia, and I agree they really screwed up the new exit numbers. Hopefully it will be corrected in time.

Wrong.  Two more exits have been switched over in Cortland County, silly man.
General Highway Talk / Re: Clinching Border Crossing ...
Last post by Rothman - Today at 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 03:13:41 PMNot every border crossing is maintained by a DOT right up to international borders.  In the case of CA 905 it does end at the border at Postmile SD R11.737.  On the other hand, nearby I-5 ends short of the actual border at Postmile SD R0.305 (at Camino De La Plaza specifically). 

Of course, this kind of thing is where I tend to draw the line with the practice of being overly anal about clinching numbered highways.  Trying to cross international borders just to get a sliver of road maintained by a state isn't something I see as a worthwhile investment of time.  I'm not sure what is obtained by the practice aside from minor bragging rights on this forum and TM? 

Pfft.  Maintenance means little.  The route is what matters, no matter who maintains it (see also NYC).

What is obtained by clinching the entire route is knowing that you clinched the entire route and did not leave a sliver behind.  99% =/= 100%.
General Highway Talk / Re: Ideas Exclusive To One Sta...
Last post by andrepoiy - Today at 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 22, 2024, 10:14:06 PM
Quote from: rhen_var on July 22, 2024, 07:46:03 PMThey're not states, but I really like how in Ontario and Quebec the exits to the US list the Interstate highways they connect to across the border on the exit signs.  Ok the US side they should do the same - I-94 TO ON-402, I-190 TO ON-405, the Gordie Howe Bridge exit should have an ON-401 shield and the Peace Bridge a QEW shield.
While we're on the subject of Canada, I like how ON plasters its tourism logo on the top right corner of its VMS's:

That's definitely something I'd like to see here in America!

That's the (now former) logo of the government of Ontario.

Here's the current one:

This is the tourism logo:

Off-Topic / Re: Things you bought for your...
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:32:38 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 20, 2024, 04:38:39 PMI own far more video games that I've wanted now than I did when I was half my age (10).
Same is true for my CD and cassette collection. I remember ordering a ton of them from Columbia House, back when it was the big trend in retail. Since I can no longer play my old cassettes in my car anymore, I just record them to a blank CD and that way, I'm still able to enjoy them on a long road trip.
Off-Topic / Re: I started a blog about LOS...
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:27:03 PM
One song I'd love to have showcased is the Chicago song 25 or 6 to 4 (and not just because the band was named after my hometown!). I used to love singing along to the refrain, which is probably the catchiest one of all time. While a lot of their old hits have seen regular radio airplay over the years, this is sadly not one of them, though it's clear to see the reason why.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.