News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

unique SPUI-loop-ramp-thingy planned

Started by johndoe, October 31, 2016, 06:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

http://www.westfargopioneer.com/news/4128948-city-eyes-unique-interchange-sheyenne-st

I can't tell exactly what's going on here but looks like a variation on a continuous green and SPUI.  I'm trying to imagine how the lefts from and to the ramps to the left side of the photo align.  I can't seem to find the others the article mentions; anyone know of anything like this?

lordsutch

The two interchanges being referred to in the article are traditional SPUIs (Mall of America and Rochester).

I guess what they're proposing here is to only control the left turns and the carriageway headed toward the camera (southbound?) with a signal, while letting the other carriageway free-flow. I've never seen quite that configuration but I suppose it could work.

froggie

QuoteI guess what they're proposing here is to only control the left turns and the carriageway headed toward the camera (southbound?)

Correct.  The "camera" is pointing north.

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on November 01, 2016, 08:59:59 AM
QuoteI guess what they're proposing here is to only control the left turns and the carriageway headed toward the camera (southbound?)

Correct.  The "camera" is pointing north.
If majority of traffic travels from south to east (bottom of pic to the right)  and back, with all other paths being secondary - probably they can achieve high enough throughput. And looks like north to south traffic is not a big concern..

cl94

This looks like one of the frankeninterchanges proposed on Kurumi's site, except the loops are on the same side of the arterial.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kj3400

Isn't this just a partially folded SPUI?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Tarkus

I'd call it a "folded spupclo", to use Kurumi's terminology.  I guess if you use the normal Parclo terminology, it'd be a "Spupclo AB".  It's a pretty clever design, and I'm quite curious to see more details of the little underpass bit where the two ramps intersect the surface street.

cl94

Quote from: Tarkus on November 02, 2016, 08:20:16 PM
It's a pretty clever design, and I'm quite curious to see more details of the little underpass bit where the two ramps intersect the surface street.

The close side of the arterial is free-flowing. Still a three-phase signal, though. Why the heck they can't just build a SPUI or an A4/B4 is beyond me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

lordsutch

Googling about I found a corridor study that said that northbound there are frequent traffic backups at I-94, so giving a free-flow movement in that direction is preferred (hence why they're not planning something like a DDI). It looks like a loop ramp in the NE quadrant is precluded by the decision to stay in the existing ROW.

froggie

QuoteWhy the heck they can't just build a SPUI or an A4/B4 is beyond me.

Because 85% of peak hour interchange traffic is to/from the East.

Sure, it'll require a 3-phase signal, but the vast majority of the green time at that signal is going to be for southbound Sheyenne, especially during the AM peak.  During the PM peak, I could see a little more evening out as they'll likely tie the NB left turn to WB 94 green into the WB loop ramp to SB movement.

johndoe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.