News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Odd Temporary Endings To Freeways...

Started by thenetwork, October 17, 2017, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

I was reminiscing about how some freeways in my area started/ended abruptly at temporary points that when the rest of the freeway was completed, the start/stop point was eliminated and no formal exit ever replaced it.

Here are a couple from my old stomping grounds:

-  SR-8 in Cuyahoga Falls, OH -- Just north of the Graham Road exit, the freeway dumped onto a short 2-lane road which linked to Hudson Drive.  This was the temporary end until SR-8's missing link between Graham Road and SR-303 was completed in the early 90s.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cE5T_fmyI0nZkykPBfki604x_XM&usp=sharing

- US-20 in Carlisle Twp. (Oberlin), OH --  Just west of the SR-301 exit, the then SR-10/US-20 freeway dumped onto Butternut Ridge Road (CR-12), a two-lane road which connected the freeway to the old US-20 alignment (Oberlin-Elyria Road).  Butternut Ridge became a frontage road in the late 80's when the US-20 freeway was completed to southwest of Parsons Road.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jaNFmY8tRpXv8w85LYoUceVal1M&usp=sharing

I know there are others, especially when the turnpikes ended at or near the state lines.  Go!!!

1995hoo

MD-200 (the Intercounty Connector) had its temporary eastern end at Norbeck Road via what was sort of a ramp. It was removed when the road was extended east to I-95 (itself a temporary terminus, but one that was definitely not removed!).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Before the 5 was complete through Seattle, its northern end in Kent had the southbound traffic drive up what became the southbound on-ramp, but the northbound traffic, being forced to exit due to the unfinished freeway, crossed over the median and drove down onto a temporary off-ramp that paralleled the on-ramp, eventually intersecting with the former through route, US-99 (not pictured -- intersection on left of photo is with Kent-Des Moines Road (SSH-5A, now SR-516)). Most temporary freeway endings utilise two complete ramps (one on-ramp and one off-ramp), so this is unusual in that a ramp was built only to later be demolished. The permanent northbound off-ramp required traffic to pass over the arterial and use a loop. I'm guessing the bridge wasn't yet complete, so a temporary off-ramp was built instead.

I'm not sure when the freeway finally opened, but the sat shot below is from 1964.

See on Historic Aerials: https://goo.gl/PPrhZ4

rickmastfan67

Bickendan

jakeroot

Quote from: Bickendan on October 18, 2017, 06:32:10 AM
I-710 at Valley Blvd...

I'm torn. One of the most bizarre freeway ending's in history, the Kansas Turnpike's dead-end at E 0010 Road at the Oklahoma border, is effectively the same thing as the 710/Valley Blvd interchange. But the 710 junction seems more normal because an interchange was always planned there, and, at least compared to the Kansas Turnpike's ending, it was clear that the freeway was meant to continue on (it doesn't look like a T-junction in the middle of nowhere).

kphoger

Kansas Turnpike, 1956, for those too lazy to click on links.   :awesomeface:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 04:53:04 PM
Kansas Turnpike, 1956, for those too lazy to click on links.   :awesomeface:

[shakes fist]

jakeroot

Another from Washington:

The former stub of the 522 freeway in Bothell had an uncomfortable transition from full freeway to arterial road. The freeway was meant to continue west, but was shelved. The junction was reconfigured in 2009 to accommodate a new entrance to the University of Washington-Bothell campus. The curves are more forgiving now.

On Historic Aerials: https://goo.gl/ns6wxa

TheHighwayMan3561

Between about 1990-92 the I-35 tunnels through Duluth were only open as far as 10th Ave East, where traffic was shunted along a temporary connection onto Superior Street to reach US/MN 61, which followed 12th Avenue East northbound and 14th East southbound in those days.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0105669,-97.4861131,5515m/data=!3m1!1e3

Brownsville, TX

Isn't Texas IH 169/SH 550 pretty much a current example of a Freeway built in pieces, using the Texas parallel frontage roads in the current unbuilt freeway miles?

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on October 18, 2017, 05:29:08 PM
Bothell

I'm sure that it's incorrect, but, not ever having been to Washington, I can't help but mentally pronounce this as Bot Hell every time I see it somewhere. Where evil robots go to die.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:20:58 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 18, 2017, 05:29:08 PM
Bothell

I'm sure that it's incorrect, but, not ever having been to Washington, I can't help but mentally pronounce this as Bot Hell every time I see it somewhere. Where evil robots go to die.

:-D it's pronounced "bah-thul".

TheStranger

Route 12 in Santa Rosa has an interesting situation where the eastbound lanes of the freeway terminate about a half mile west of where the westbound lanes begin (due to an extension that was canceled)
https://goo.gl/maps/Uejta5W3SVM2

Though it has been in place since the 1970s, the current west end of the Route 58 freeway in Bakersfield at South Real Road is a sudden T intersection in front of the Wild West Shopping Center - a strip mall that has since been closed down to make way for the Westside Parkway connector.
https://goo.gl/maps/nCTGiMvXEio

Route 125's terminus at Route 905/Route 11 in the San Ysidro area of San Diego has the southbound lanes temporarily ending via an offramp to Otay Mesa Road, while the northbound lanes begin right off of Route 905. (From 1972-1986, the final mile of 905 heading to the border crossing was legislatively planned as the southernmost part of Route 125)  The final southbound freeway segment to Route 905 is slated to begin construction in 2018 according to Cahighways
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5720733,-116.9512068,3a,75y,132.95h,83.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spnB5zSl-j5JiaDFgqMKENw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Chris Sampang

hbelkins

Once upon a time, the Western Kentucky Parkway ended out of the blue and merged onto US 62 just west of Princeton. By 1973, the road had been extended to the US 62 exit just east of I-24. The road was still in this condition in 1976. By 1983, I-24 had been completed in this area and the WK Parkway had been extended to meet it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I remember back when IL-255 was getting built piece-by-piece up towards Godfrey.  My usual delivery route didn't take me up to Saint Louis, but every several weeks I would need to cover someone else's route.  It seemed like every time I went up there, you could go one exit farther north than the last time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 19, 2017, 12:06:51 AM
Isn't Texas IH 169/SH 550 pretty much a current example of a Freeway built in pieces, using the Texas parallel frontage roads in the current unbuilt freeway miles?

I didn't know there was an I-169. Is it going to be extended along TX 550 when the freeway is built?

wxfree

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 08:26:30 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on October 19, 2017, 12:06:51 AM

I didn't know there was an I-169. Is it going to be extended along TX 550 when the freeway is built?

I-169 runs along the first 1.5 miles of SH 550 from I-69E, to about the end of the freeway.  It is pretty obviously, but as far as I know unstated, planned to be extended as the continuous freeway section is lengthened.

Here's the minute order: https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/114444.pdf
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

bugo

Quote from: wxfree on October 19, 2017, 09:41:18 PM
I-169 runs along the first 1.5 miles of SH 550 from I-69E, to about the end of the freeway.  It is pretty obviously, but as far as I know unstated, planned to be extended as the continuous freeway section is lengthened.

That's ridiculous. It shouldn't be an interstate until it goes further.

DandyDan

I assume at some far off future date, US 18 will continue west of I-35 south of Clear Lake, Iowa, but for now, it is a pair of C/D lane bridges and half a clover leaf interchange.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jp the roadgeek

Here's the "temporary" ending to CT 11 at CT 82.  Clearly see where the road was supposed to continue when they ran out of funds...in 1972!!

And the bridges over CT 82 that were never used

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Strider

Does Conn COT ever consider extending CT 11 yet?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

The freeway portion of US 31 east of Benton Harbor Michigan

SAMSUNG-SM-J727A

kurumi

That CT 11 bridge over CT 82 looks sort of Tomorrowland/Space-Age in a dated way -- and by coincidence, the construction and opening of CT 11 was about the same period (1969-1972) of America's manned Apollo moon missions.

I'd give both the same chance of resuming anytime soon.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.