News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Geotab's most dangerous highways in US list

Started by txstateends, December 23, 2017, 08:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on December 25, 2017, 12:22:25 AM
US 101 in Oregon... just... no.

Agreed. If this was by just sections, either a Portland highway or US 97 between Madras and Redmond would take it. Note: I have not seen specific crash data for Oregon.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on December 23, 2017, 10:35:40 PM
I definitely believe NY's entry.  During tourist season it seems like my commute is snarled by an accident at least once every single week.

It seems like they simply took the raw number of accidents without normalizing for length.  If you did do such normalization, it would shock me if I-87 came up higher than I-278 or many of the parkways on Long Island or in Westchester.

kkt

I can sort of see it, in parts.  The section south of Astoria has kind of narrow lanes... 10 or 11 feet? and minimal shoulders.  And a lot of driveways.  Not really dangerous if you drive appropriately, but there are people who see "ooooh!  US highway!  floor it!" and could run into trouble.  Also throughout 101, tourists looking for addresses or watching the view instead of the road, or caught in the fog.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kkt on December 25, 2017, 03:19:27 PM

I can sort of see it, in parts.  The section south of Astoria has kind of narrow lanes... 10 or 11 feet? and minimal shoulders.  And a lot of driveways.  Not really dangerous if you drive appropriately, but there are people who see "ooooh!  US highway!  floor it!" and could run into trouble.  Also throughout 101, tourists looking for addresses or watching the view instead of the road, or caught in the fog.
I could see that too and personally I would rate Oregon's dangerous roads as the following:
1. Any road west of the cascades when it snows.
2. US 97 between Madras and Redmond.
3. US 101 between Florenca and Yachats (can't get the spelling right)

Honorable mentions but can't pinpoint rankings:
Any tourist section of US 101.
I-5 rose quarter.
I-84  mp 330-340, 268-276, 250-259, and 218-224
I-5 over the Kalamath mountains.
Non major mountain passes.
US 26 between OR 217 and OR 99W including downtown area.
I-5 between I 405 and OR 99W in Tigard.

Suggestions are welcome and will be added. These are just my opinion.

Running till I die.

jwolfer

There is probably 1 or 2 sections of each "most dangerous" road in each state

In Florida, for example, US in the Keys is notoriously dangerous, heavily traveled very long 2 lane road..most of US1 is not especially dangerous compared to other roads in the state

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2017, 02:37:38 AM

In Florida, for example, US in the Keys is notoriously dangerous, heavily traveled very long 2 lane road..most of US1 is not especially dangerous compared to other roads in the state

Z981

I tired to find my picture of the kill counter in Key West.  The highest I've ever seen it was at 18 in a single year.  Kind of high for a 127 Mile stretch of Highway, but if you listen to the locals there isn't any need for improvements.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2017, 07:58:59 AM

Z981

I tired to find my picture of the kill counter in Key West.  The highest I've ever seen it was at 18 in a single year.  Kind of high for a 127 Mile stretch of Highway, but if you listen to the locals there isn't any need for improvements.
Some of the pseudo locals( from city data forum  for example) think that The keys should more of less be off limits to the riff Raff from the mainland.. speed limit of 35 on all of US1.

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2017, 08:01:03 AM

Z981

Some of the pseudo locals( from city data forum  for example) think that The keys should more of less be off limits to the riff Raff from the mainland.. speed limit of 35 on all of US1.

Z981

Yeah...with all that non-tourism based money coming in I'm sure it would be just fine.  :-D

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2017, 08:03:03 AM

Z981

Z981

Yeah...with all that non-tourism based money coming in I'm sure it would be just fine.  :-D
Fishing and drugs would support the economy LOL

Z981

triplemultiplex

:pan:

This is essentially a list of longest routes in each state.  Not exactly, of course, but close enough.
As others have pointed out, there is no useful information here.  What is a reader supposed to do with this list?  "Oh okay, I'll avoid I-40 the next time I drive across Tennessee!"  :banghead:

Fucking internet...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SidS1045

Quote from: dgolub on December 25, 2017, 09:18:25 AM
I definitely believe NY's entry.  During tourist season it seems like my commute is snarled by an accident at least once every single week.

It seems like they simply took the raw number of accidents without normalizing for length.  If you did do such normalization, it would shock me if I-87 came up higher than I-278 or many of the parkways on Long Island or in Westchester.

Precisely.  My initial thought on seeing the I-87 entry was:  Where?  The Bronx?  Hudson River Valley?  Capital District?  Adirondacks?  It's dumb to pretend the road has the same traffic conditions end-to-end.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

jwolfer

And Suzy Sanchez-Gibson will read it breathlessly on Action News at 10 or 11

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2017, 08:04:25 AM

Z981

Z981

Z981

Until Border Partrol puts another check point on Key Largo because the Key West police chief is accepting bribes in KFC boxes. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2017, 12:29:37 PM

Z981

Z981

Z981

Until Border Partrol puts another check point on Key Largo because the Key West police chief is accepting bribes in KFC boxes.
Finger lickin' good

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2017, 12:41:09 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 26, 2017, 12:29:37 PM

Z981

Z981

Z981

Finger lickin' good

Z981

Yeah, but there was many a time I wanted a 8-piece and there was no KFC on Roosevelt available to service my craving.  Thanks Key West PD, I guess I'll have to settle for Dion's or my choice of two Publix delis (seriously they are across the street from each other on US 1). 

kphoger

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 26, 2017, 10:59:31 AM

Precisely.  My initial thought on seeing the I-87 entry was:  Where?  The Bronx?  Hudson River Valley?  Capital District?  Adirondacks?  It's dumb to pretend the road has the same traffic conditions end-to-end.

And I saw US-45 mentioned for Illinois, pictured a relaxing drive through the forests between Metropolis and Vienna, then imagined a relaxing drive through the farmlands between Norris City and Fairfield, and only then remembered it's also Mannheim Road in Chicagoland.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on December 26, 2017, 10:59:31 AM

And I saw US-45 mentioned for Illinois, pictured a relaxing drive through the forests between Metropolis and Vienna, then imagined a relaxing drive through the farmlands between Norris City and Fairfield, and only then remembered it's also Mannheim Road in Chicagoland.

Yeah -- picking a long numbered route and then not controlling for much of anything past aggregate AADT seems like an exercise in futility -- or headline making: "let's see how much bullshit data we can disseminate just to get our names on the report publicized before someone looks at it too closely!"  IMO, pretty pathetic!

doorknob60

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 26, 2017, 02:08:00 AM

I could see that too and personally I would rate Oregon's dangerous roads as the following:

I-5 rose quarter.
I-84 east of Baker City.

Not so sure about I-84 east of Baker City (I've never had issues there) but I agree with the rest of those. In terms of I-84 though, I would definitely put I-84 between Pendleton and La Grande, and I-84 between Hood River and Troutdale (that gets icy and windy, and has heavier traffic than the rest of the highway outside of Portland; I just took WA-14 instead a few days ago because of how bad it was, and I felt much safer despite it being a more curvy and hilly 2 lane road). Also I-5 between Ashland and the CA border. Maybe US-26 just west of downtown Portland: the hill, the curves, the very heavy traffic, and that's before you throw in occasional ice/snow.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: doorknob60 on December 28, 2017, 11:19:12 AM

I-5 rose quarter.
I-84 east of Baker City.

Not so sure about I-84 east of Baker City (I've never had issues there) but I agree with the rest of those. In terms of I-84 though, I would definitely put I-84 between Pendleton and La Grande, and I-84 between Hood River and Troutdale (that gets icy and windy, and has heavier traffic than the rest of the highway outside of Portland; I just took WA-14 instead a few days ago because of how bad it was, and I felt much safer despite it being a more curvy and hilly 2 lane road). Also I-5 between Ashland and the CA border. Maybe US-26 just west of downtown Portland: the hill, the curves, the very heavy traffic, and that's before you throw in occasional ice/snow.

Edited to include that and changed I-84 to just mp 330-340, 268-276, and 218-224, 250-259.

Did not include I-84 in the gorge due to it being far below the statewide average interstate crash rate except for the storms.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

Michigan's was US 31 and go figure there was a 40 car pileup on US 31 in Muskegon yesterday afternoon.

Bickendan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 29, 2017, 04:20:50 AM
Quote from: doorknob60 on December 28, 2017, 11:19:12 AM

I-5 rose quarter.
I-84 east of Baker City.

Edited to include that and changed I-84 to just mp 330-340, 268-276, and 218-224, 250-259.

Did not include I-84 in the gorge due to it being far below the statewide average interstate crash rate except for the storms.
1. I-5 Terwilliger Curves
Then we can start sorting the others. Agreed with US 97 between Redmond and Madras.

Revive 755

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 24, 2017, 03:11:18 AM
I find Indiana's entry being US 41 very suspect. Maybe it's really a dangerous highway but I think it only makes the top of the list due to being almost the longest highway in the state (US 231 and future I-69 will be longer.) A lot of these entries seem to be the longest in their states as well. I-65 and I-70 at least should be considered more dangerous.

I could see US 41 being worse than I-70 and I-65 if there are a lot of crashes at all the signalized intersections (though as I type this I think the issue would be worse on US 30).  There also had to previously be some safety issues for INDOT to pursue J-turns at at least one intersection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.