News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most significant event to happen in the roadgeek world in 2017?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 30, 2017, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I-30's expansion; the ball started rolling this year.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 30, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
The discontinued use of Clearview.
Not for Arkansas, from the looks of it, we used Clearshit on the Cantrell Rd. Project.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jp the roadgeek

The first I-11 signs going up, and the official renumbering and signage for the southern I-87
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Beltway

Completion of the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project.

"Despite using a tunnel design rarely used in the U.S., a joint venture of Skanska, Kiewit Construction and Weeks Marine safely delivered the $2.1-billion Elizabeth River Tunnels project in September, one year ahead of schedule. The new, nearly 3,800-ft-long tunnel under the Elizabeth River between Portsmouth and Norfolk, Va., is one of the first U.S. all-concrete, immersed-tube tunnels designed for deep water.

The project was developed under a public-private partnership between the Virginia Dept. of  Transportation and Elizabeth River Crossings, the Macquarie-Skanska consortium that financed the project and will operate and maintain the tunnels and other facilities for a 58-year concession period. The construction joint venture, dubbed SKW Constructors, held the design-build contract for site and bridge work and constructing a new tunnel as well as rehabilitating three existing tunnels and constructing an expressway extension. Virginia DOT maintains ownership of the infrastructure and will continue to oversee the developer's activities and operation."

Project of the Year/Excellence Award in Safety: Elizabeth River Tunnels Project
https://www.enr.com/articles/43071-project-of-the-yearexcellence-award-in-safety-elizabeth-river-tunnels-project

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

oscar

From the Canadian perspective, perhaps the completion of NT 10 to Tuktoyaktuk NT on the Arctic Ocean, giving Canada a full "coast to coast to coast" highway network.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 30, 2017, 06:02:23 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on December 30, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
The discontinued use of Clearview.
Not for Arkansas, from the looks of it, we used Clearshit on the Cantrell Rd. Project.

But new signs on I-49 at 71B/112 are NOT Clearview
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

The Mud Creek Slide taking out California 1 in Big Sur.

webny99

Good thread idea!

I'll remember 2017 as the year that the FYA exploded in popularity. Can't speak for other areas, but at least ten or so have popped up around Rochester this year.

On a nationwide scale, nothing (or at least very little) can compete with the designation of a new 2di. I'd like to see a list made of the biggest 2017 accomplishment in each state. I may create a running list as more people speak up.

sparker

Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2017, 11:07:03 PM
Good thread idea!

I'll remember 2017 as the year that the FYA exploded in popularity. Can't speak for other areas, but at least ten or so have popped up around Rochester this year.

On a nationwide scale, nothing (or at least very little) can compete with the designation of a new 2di. I'd like to see a list made of the biggest 2017 accomplishment in each state. I may create a running list as more people speak up.

Since 2012, five new 2di (actually one a 1di if you don't count the intrinsic zero) -- one per year -- have been commissioned; 2017 was the first year since then that didn't see one added to the compendium (2012/11, 2013/2, 2014/41, 2015/14, and 2016/42). 

Seriously thinking of shifting over to Fictional and starting a thread where posters can speculate about what would be the next (or even the next couple of.....) 2di to be officially designated.  Fun stuff! 

LM117

The last section of the I-140 Wilmington Bypass in NC finally opened.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

epzik8

Quote from: LM117 on December 31, 2017, 11:46:17 AM
That's big for me. The family and I recently changed the way we drive from the Baltimore, Maryland area to Myrtle Beach in the summer. Instead of taking I-95 down to I-74/U.S. 74 near Lumberton, North Carolina and then following NC-410 to U.S. 701 to SC-9, we now exit I-95 at I-795 outside of Wilson, North Carolina and proceed from Goldsboro down U.S. 117 to I-40, and make our way to U.S. 17 working our way around Wilmington as best we can before continuing through Brunswick County and into South Carolina. We will be able to avoid more of the Wilmington traffic with the elimination of the I-140 gap.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Eth

I'd like to see a list made of the biggest 2017 accomplishment in each state.

Two options for Georgia I can think of:
- The fire and subsequent viaduct collapse this spring that severed a major commuter corridor and resulted in a gap in I-85 for about six weeks (the repair in this case being the accomplishment, not the collapse itself)
- The opening of the Peach Pass express lanes on I-75 south of Atlanta

US 89

I'd like to see a list made of the biggest 2017 accomplishment in each state.

For Utah, there are several options I can think of:
1. The opening of two new interchanges on Bangerter Highway.
2. The opening of another segment of Mountain View Corridor.
3. The signing of US 189 on the US 40 concurrency, for the most part
4. The final EIS released for West Davis Corridor (only 4 years late!)

jp the roadgeek

CT:   The proposals for the reconstruction of I-84 through Hartford, including a 7 mile long tunnel bypassing downtown that would also bury I-91 along the Connecticut riverfront. 

RI: The renumbering of I-295 exits and the numbering of the RI 99 exit to mileage based numbers.

MA: Several stories: The revolt on the Cape against changing exit numbers leading to the suspension of MassDOT's program.  The completion of parts of the I-91 project in Springfield.  Continued demolition and completion of the removal of toll plazas on the Mass Pike. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DaBigE

WI/MN: Opening of the St. Croix Crossing bridge. Street View went over just before it opened.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 31, 2017, 03:03:20 PM
CT:   The proposals for the reconstruction of I-84 through Hartford, including a 7 mile long tunnel bypassing downtown that would also bury I-91 along the Connecticut riverfront. 

RI: The renumbering of I-295 exits and the numbering of the RI 99 exit to mileage based numbers.

MA: Several stories: The revolt on the Cape against changing exit numbers leading to the suspension of MassDOT's program.  The completion of parts of the I-91 project in Springfield.  Continued demolition and completion of the removal of toll plazas on the Mass Pike.
Why was there a revolt about exit numbers?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LM117

Quote from: epzik8 on December 31, 2017, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: LM117 on December 31, 2017, 11:46:17 AM
That's big for me. The family and I recently changed the way we drive from the Baltimore, Maryland area to Myrtle Beach in the summer. Instead of taking I-95 down to I-74/U.S. 74 near Lumberton, North Carolina and then following NC-410 to U.S. 701 to SC-9, we now exit I-95 at I-795 outside of Wilson, North Carolina and proceed from Goldsboro down U.S. 117 to I-40, and make our way to U.S. 17 working our way around Wilmington as best we can before continuing through Brunswick County and into South Carolina. We will be able to avoid more of the Wilmington traffic with the elimination of the I-140 gap.

Another (albeit minor) change that should make your next trip easier is that O'Berry Road at it's intersection with US-117 in Dudley has been closed off in order for the O'Berry Road overpass to be built, which means the traffic light is gone.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Great Lakes Roads

IL: Illinois Route 390 extension opens to traffic!!

WI: Baraboo Bypass (U.S. Route 12) opens to traffic!!

Beltway

I posted this a month ago in the FreewayJim Facebook group.

Taken in 1980 right after the highway opened in Baltimore, has the I-170 sign on the roadside.
Car on shoulder is the 1975 Chevrolet Nova that I had then.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/I-170-MD.jpg
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 31, 2017, 03:03:20 PM

Why was there a revolt about exit numbers?
It was more about MassDOT's new policy of making EVERY sign on freeways overhead.  The argument was that this would destroy the Cape's rural character.  Once it hit the press, people scrutinized the design plans for things to hate and the exit numbers were along for the ride.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Solar Eclipse

The mini-meets that took place along the paths - along with the solo trips otherwise.

Four+ lines, all waiting (on the road)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hurricane Rex

OR: The transportation package (despite many of us thibkibg it doesn't go far enough)
Newberg-Dundee bypass phase 1 finishing.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.