Most significant event to happen in the roadgeek world in 2017?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 30, 2017, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

How has no one yet mentioned the opening of the first half of the new Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87/I-287)?  That's huge!

cjk374

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2017, 07:55:46 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 31, 2017, 03:03:20 PM
CT:   The proposals for the reconstruction of I-84 through Hartford, including a 7 mile long tunnel bypassing downtown that would also bury I-91 along the Connecticut riverfront. 

RI: The renumbering of I-295 exits and the numbering of the RI 99 exit to mileage based numbers.

MA: Several stories: The revolt on the Cape against changing exit numbers leading to the suspension of MassDOT's program.  The completion of parts of the I-91 project in Springfield.  Continued demolition and completion of the removal of toll plazas on the Mass Pike.
Why was there a revolt about exit numbers?
It was more about MassDOT's new policy of making EVERY sign on freeways overhead.  The argument was that this would destroy the Cape's rural character.  Once it hit the press, people scrutinized the design plans for things to hate and the exit numbers were along for the ride.

Isn't the changing of the exit numbers to mileage-based numbers a federal mandate? That is something that local residents will have to get over. Complaining about all signs going overhead & destroying their "rural look & feel" for the area....I kinda get that. After all, locals complained about the tenth-mile mileposts being installed on the Pontchartrain Causeway claiming they took away from the "scenic beauty" of the view of the lake from the bridges.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

RobbieL2415

MA/RI beginning the switch to mileage-based exits.
MA: AET on I-90
CT: Waterbury add-a-lane project started.
NY: Renaming of the RMSP, AET on all MTA Bridges and Tunnels.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2017, 07:55:46 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
CT:   The proposals for the reconstruction of I-84 through Hartford, including a 7 mile long tunnel bypassing downtown that would also bury I-91 along the Connecticut riverfront. 

RI: The renumbering of I-295 exits and the numbering of the RI 99 exit to mileage based numbers.

MA: Several stories: The revolt on the Cape against changing exit numbers leading to the suspension of MassDOT's program.  The completion of parts of the I-91 project in Springfield.  Continued demolition and completion of the removal of toll plazas on the Mass Pike.
Why was there a revolt about exit numbers?
It was more about MassDOT's new policy of making EVERY sign on freeways overhead.  The argument was that this would destroy the Cape's rural character.  Once it hit the press, people scrutinized the design plans for things to hate and the exit numbers were along for the ride.
People can be stupid sometimes :banghead:.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

silverback1065

PHLBOS

Since you mentioned about I-295 in RI & RI 99 converting to mileage-based interchange numbers; I'm surprised that you didn't mention similar for I-395 in CT.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

Here in Seattle, Bertha finally made it to the other end of the Alaskan Way tunnel, so that one is definitely worth mentioning, especially since her well-chronicled breakdowns midway through the project.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 89

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 02, 2018, 12:10:48 PM
the royal fuck up with i-69's p3 in indiana

Except for the part north of Indianapolis, all of I-69 is a royal fuckup.

roadman

QuoteComplaining about all signs going overhead & destroying their "rural look & feel" for the area....I kinda get that
Ever driven the Mid-Cape Highway between Bourne and Orleans?  There's nothing special about it from an aesthetic perspective - it's just another freeway.

And I'm sure when MassDOT has to clear roadside trees and brush six or eight years from now so the ground-mounted signs now being installed remain visible to drivers, the same people who were so "OMG, how dare you install overhead signs on a freeway" will be out in force chiming "How dare you cut down trees and brush - they're part of the natural makeup of the Cape."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

silverback1065

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 03, 2018, 12:08:37 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 02, 2018, 12:10:48 PM
the royal fuck up with i-69's p3 in indiana

Except for the part north of Indianapolis, all of I-69 is a royal fuckup.

regionally speaking, 69 from Indy to Memphis (mostly because of evansville) is worth it, south of Memphis it's not.

Perfxion

Texas is a tie:
1: The multi billion shift project announced of I-45 to next to I-69, with the removal of the Pierce Elevated in Houston.
2: The mutli year annual slapping interstate shields on roads that don't warrant being an interstate or are even ready to be interstates (I-14, I-2, I-69E, I-69C, I-69W, I-69, I-369)
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

formulanone

I don't mean to begrudge our nation's smallest state, but this is about as insignificant as it gets. RI 99 has three exits; two in any one direction of travel.

Kentucky getting I-165 pretty much sums up the major stuff.

kphoger

Quote from: Perfxion on January 08, 2018, 10:56:26 AM
The mutli year annual slapping interstate shields on roads that don't warrant being an interstate or are even ready to be interstates (I-14, I-2, I-69E, I-69C, I-69W, I-69, I-369)

:clap:  :cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 02, 2018, 03:11:17 PM

Since you mentioned about I-295 in RI & RI 99 converting to mileage-based interchange numbers; I'm surprised that you didn't mention similar for I-395 in CT.
Because 395 was completed about a year before.

adventurernumber1

I've looked through the whole thread, but unless I missed something, let's not forget about the new Interstate 87 in North Carolina.

I don't know if it was the #1 most significant road-related event to happen in 2017, but it is something pretty huge that I was surprised wasn't already mentioned (unless I missed it for some reason).

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Quote from: dgolub on January 01, 2018, 09:08:21 AM
How has no one yet mentioned the opening of the first half of the new Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87/I-287)?  That's huge!

While that is certainly a milestone for the bridge project, 2017 marks neither the beginning nor the ending of the project as a whole. Now, when the other side is opened and the whole thing is complete, that will be something.

mgk920

Quote from: DaBigE on December 31, 2017, 04:53:01 PM
WI/MN: Opening of the St. Croix Crossing bridge. Street View went over just before it opened.

Also

WI - Governor Walker announces that I-41/US 10/WI 441 upgrade project in the Appleton/Menasha/Neenah area will be sped up to a 2019 completion.

Nationally:

AR/MO - US 60 and 67 corridor northeast of Little Rock, AR designated to become I-57.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.