News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Don't use Open Street Map

Started by bugo, January 17, 2018, 07:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 18, 2018, 06:03:14 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2018, 06:00:00 PM
OSM is not always accurate. The abusive liars who ran my former high school used OSM to change the name of the roadway in front of the school to Avenue of Champions. But I changed it to Avenue of Losers, and it wasn't changed back for 5 years.

Wow, they sound like a bunch of losers if they would lie and change the name of a road on an official site just to make themselves look better.  :eyebrow:  :thumbdown:
It's apparently the correct name:

Though the Goog doesn't show that it's signed, so I'm not sure if it belongs on maps.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bandit957

Quote from: NE2 on January 18, 2018, 06:58:14 PM
OSM is not always accurate. The abusive liars who ran my former high school used OSM to change the name of the roadway in front of the school to Avenue of Champions. But I changed it to Avenue of Losers, and it wasn't changed back for 5 years.

Wow, they sound like a bunch of losers if they would lie and change the name of a road on an official site just to make themselves look better.  :eyebrow:  :thumbdown:

Though the Goog doesn't show that it's signed, so I'm not sure if it belongs on maps.

It's actually not the correct name. This is like that town in upstate New York that a mapmaker made up as a copyright trap, and then everyone started copying it. I can't find any action taken by the city that gives the road this name. Also, the map cited here isn't always correct (though it's usually pretty accurate for most things).
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2018, 07:46:50 PM
that town in upstate New York that a mapmaker made up as a copyright trap, and then everyone started copying it

It became real after it was fictitiously created.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agloe,_New_York
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2018, 07:46:50 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 18, 2018, 06:58:14 PM

It's actually not the correct name.

http://maps.kytc.ky.gov/photolog/?config=TrafficCounts

Zoom in and you'll see it listed on this official map.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on January 19, 2018, 10:16:59 AM

This is an Agloe-type situation, only worse. There is no municipal resolution to name this road. School thugs just decided to mark it on OSM one day, and everyone else copied it.

All of this highlights the fact that this school is indeed losers.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

formulanone

Quote from: bandit957 on January 19, 2018, 04:59:57 PM

This is an Agloe-type situation, only worse. There is no municipal resolution to name this road. School thugs just decided to mark it on OSM one day, and everyone else copied it.

All of this highlights the fact that this school is indeed losers.

It's a high school.

You're 44.

Do the math.

OrangeLantern

Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2018, 05:54:27 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 17, 2018, 08:16:44 PM
Wikipedia is generally reliable. Most obvious vandalism is reverted within minutes, and most inaccuracies don't stay for long, either. If you really want to see the idiots (to use a word that bugo used) on Wikipedia, visit WP:ANI.

Most legitimate edits are reverted within minutes too. The facts don't stand a chance on Wikipedia anymore, because some screamy little baby with a political agenda always reverts them.

What the hell are you talking about?

Brandon

Quote from: OrangeLantern on January 19, 2018, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 18, 2018, 05:54:27 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 17, 2018, 08:16:44 PM
Wikipedia is generally reliable. Most obvious vandalism is reverted within minutes, and most inaccuracies don't stay for long, either. If you really want to see the idiots (to use a word that bugo used) on Wikipedia, visit WP:ANI.

Most legitimate edits are reverted within minutes too. The facts don't stand a chance on Wikipedia anymore, because some screamy little baby with a political agenda always reverts them.

What the hell are you talking about?

I see you've met Bandit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on January 19, 2018, 04:59:57 PM

Rest assured that the Commonwealth of Kentucky does NOT copy OSM in its mapping.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

UAN51

As an OSM mapper myself, I can see why people won't use the map:

-TIGER import from 2007 that is super unreliable
-GNIS imports that includes places that don't exist
-editing wars (street name ambiguity, road classification mishandled, etc.)
-fake parks
-editing noobs that don't research on GIS, DOT, and local government websites
-lack of moderation of edits

But, some applications do use OSM such as weather.com, SnapChat's map, Scout GPS, etc.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: UAN51 on January 26, 2018, 10:30:05 AM

-fake parks

But, some applications do use OSM such as weather.com, SnapChat's map, Scout GPS, etc.
Is there something I am missing without using OSM? Like, what's better about it than Google? Is it the frequency of the updates? But, with all of the points you made, those aren't exactly GOOD selling points.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Thing 342

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 26, 2018, 11:36:56 AM

-fake parks

Is there something I am missing without using OSM? Like, what's better about it than Google? Is it the frequency of the updates? But, with all of the points you made, those aren't exactly GOOD selling points.
Largely the fact that the data isn't proprietary, as opposed to pretty much every other commercial mapping service. The Google Maps API is only free to use until you've reached a certain request limit, and is fairly expensive otherwise. OSM, on the other hand is free and (mostly) free of licensing restrictions (as long as you supply your own hosting).

UAN51

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 26, 2018, 11:36:56 AM

-fake parks

I'm not saying why OSM is good. I'm saying why I see people do NOT use OSM.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.