News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road names/numbers/concurrencies that “roll off the tongue”

Started by fillup420, February 16, 2018, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

US 15/501 in central NC is often called "fifteen five-oh-one" . It rolls off the tongue quite nicely. What other roads are fun to call by name?

MNHighwayMan

Around here, I-35/80 is often referred to as "eighty/thirty-five." There's even a local music festival that goes by that name.

I like to be contrarian and call it "thirty-five/eighty" though, because we all know that's the right and proper way. ;-)

webny99

Five n' twenty.

Its another case of where it should be the other way around, but I have no objections, since "twenty and five" is a bit clumsy.
People typically seem to go with what's easier, not what's "correct"  ;-)

Henry

My hometown has such an example: 90/94, even though most locals refer to them by whatever expressway name it goes by. (Come to think of it, so does WI.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mrcmc888

US 11/70 through Knoxville is usually called by both numbers because it's so easy to say.

Eth

(US) "nineteen-forty-one" on the south side of Atlanta flows pretty nicely. On the other hand, (I-) "seventy-five-eighty-five" feels a bit more cumbersome, which is probably why it's also often referred to by name, the (Downtown) Connector.

PHLBOS

The US 1 & 9 concurrency in NJ is often referred to as one-and-nine.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Sykotyk

OH 711.

It was always called Seven/Eleven Connector. Though not a concurrency, when it was finally built there was only one number acceptable for it.

hbelkins

64-40 (St. Louis)

And around here, 11-15, because the two Kentucky state routes have a long concurrency in Powell County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

fillup420

Also, Pennsylvania has a US 11/15 concurrency which i believe is called by both numbers

1995hoo

When I was a kid, "29/211" was routine to the point where it initially sounded funny when people stopped saying it after 211 was cut back to Warrenton. It was never as ubiquitous a reference as "15/501," though, because a lot of people called the road by its name (usually Lee Highway in the immediate DC suburbs). The latter has become less common in recent years, not so much because of the current fad of people fearing names associated with the Confederacy but more because it seems like people use the numbers more than the names for several major arterials than was the case 35 years ago ("50" instead of "Arlington Boulevard," for example).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

jp the roadgeek

The Berlin Turnpike in CT is lesser known as "Five-Fifteen"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on February 16, 2018, 09:37:53 AM
My hometown has such an example: 90/94, even though most locals refer to them by whatever expressway name it goes by. (Come to think of it, so does WI.)

I only hear the Zoo Freeway in common parlance.  And the Lake Parkway, I guess.
The East-West Freeway and the North-South Freeway don't exactly roll off the tongue so no one calls them that.  It's I-94 and I-43.

I'll agree that 90-94 'feels good' to say.  39-90 ain't bad.  But 39-90-94 gets to be a mouthful.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Eighty-Ninety-Four, aka the Borman Expressway.
Eighty-Ninety, aka the Toll Road & Ohio Turnpike.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadsguy

US 11/15 was already mentioned, but I'm pretty sure 22/322 from Lewistown to Harrisburg is also referred to as such.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jp the roadgeek

CT 8/25 in Bridgeport is the "Eight and Twenty-Five (connector)".

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

WillWeaverRVA

I mentioned this in another thread but there are still some folks who refer to "29/211" in Prince William and Fairfax Counties in Virginia, despite US 211's truncation to Warrenton long ago.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.