News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeman33

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2012, 12:03:35 AM
Quote from: apeman33 on May 05, 2012, 09:57:18 PM
Little ol' Pittsburg State becomes the first Kansas college to get a specialty plate in Missouri:

(IMO, Missouri's plates are a bit better looking.)

Not surprising, since Pittsburg's, what, ten miles from the MO line?

And the MO tag is a little better, mostly because the gorilla logo nearly crashes into the bottom of "KANSAS"

That Pitt State has its plate first is mildly surprising in that Kansas City has a fairly strong KU alumni base. Some feel it's stronger than Mizzou's. (And it's actually just four miles via K-126).

Also, the colors in the Kansas tag are the official school colors, crimson and gold, while the Missouri tag and the ad itself are in the colors the athletic teams use, red and "athletic gold" (which most people call yellow). There was a point where the women's basketball coach was going to go back to the darker colors but changed his mind when none of the other teams wanted to do so.

Quillz

This is sort of off-topic, but I was curious as to who here prefers the aesthetics of the EU license plates, which are fairly standardized and wider than they are tall.

kphoger

I do like the European size.  But my favorite, as far as dimensions go, is Chile.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Quillz on May 07, 2012, 04:57:18 PM
This is sort of off-topic, but I was curious as to who here prefers the aesthetics of the EU license plates, which are fairly standardized and wider than they are tall.

Me.  Simple and to the point, generally embossed, with no graphic bullshit.

And the front end of my car is designed with it in mind.  Plates with US dimensions make the car look buck-toothed.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

DaBigE

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on May 08, 2012, 12:38:31 AM
Simple and to the point, generally embossed, with no graphic bullshit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Although it would eliminate a revenue stream from the DMV.  I'd be okay with the current US size, just eliminate the unnecessary graphics.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SP Cook

The only people I find that want Euro plates are people that think owning a 4 year old BMW is a "lifestyle".  If these were generally available, they would have no interest.

realjd

Quote from: DaBigE on May 08, 2012, 01:10:28 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Although it would eliminate a revenue stream from the DMV.  I'd be okay with the current US size, just eliminate the unnecessary graphics.

What revenue stream? Europeans pay registration fees just like we do.

DaBigE

Quote from: realjd on May 08, 2012, 11:34:07 PM

I was referring to the dozens upon dozens of specialty plates most/all US DOT's have that carry additional "donations"/fees over and above the standard registration fee.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I wish Illinois would do a retro re-issue.  I know they still have the capability to make a plate that looks JUST like the old ones, completely embossed and all, because of the current dealer plates.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on May 08, 2012, 11:42:55 PM
Quote from: realjd on May 08, 2012, 11:34:07 PM

I was referring to the dozens upon dozens of specialty plates most/all US DOT's have that carry additional "donations"/fees over and above the standard registration fee.

Our van has a breast cancer awareness license plate. 

We've had it for two years, parly because breast cancer runs in my wife's family, and partly because I think the current issue Kansas plates are ugly.

To get one, we donated some money to KU cancer research, then showed our receipt at the DMV.  KU got the extra money, the DMV got our normal registration fee.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 09:28:36 AM

which one is the current standard KS issue?  the one with the capitol building and wheat, or the one with the globe?  I like those both better than that cancer awareness plate.  that one just looks like it was hastily thrown together by an intern.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2012, 11:40:24 AM
which one is the current standard KS issue?  the one with the capitol building and wheat, or the one with the globe?  I like those both better than that cancer awareness plate.  that one just looks like it was hastily thrown together by an intern.

The blue/white plate with the official state seal is the current issue: http://licenseplates.cc/story.php?id=292

Also:

Georgia 2012 general issue begins

QuoteGeorgia's new multicolored plate is available as of today, at tag offices around the state.

The plates are flat, produced with 3M's Digital License Plate technology.

Existing plates issued prior to December 1, 2003, will be replaced on renewal or transfer.

Plates issued after December 1, 2003 will be replaced starting next year.

QuoteThose wishing a more reserved appearance may opt for a plain white plate with "GEORGIA"  centered at the top and a peach centered in the background.

signalman

Yuck!  I do not like that new Georgia plate at all.  It already had a strike against it for being flat, but beyond that it's far too busy.  If I lived in GA I'd definitely opt for the plain plate.

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2012, 11:40:24 AM

What people around here sometimes refer to as the Flying Saucer Plate.  Ugly color for a plate, whatever you call that greyish blue.  I agree that the pink ribbon one isn't very pretty either, but at least it has some real color on it.  I miss the wheat plates.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 05:00:05 PM
What people around here sometimes refer to as the Flying Saucer Plate.  Ugly color for a plate, whatever you call that greyish blue.  I agree that the pink ribbon one isn't very pretty either, but at least it has some real color on it.  I miss the wheat plates.

looks like it has too much color.  process magenta isn't very attractive in my opinion.  I use pure magenta (RGB 255 0 255) in my sign designs that I send to have manufactured as the backing to be cut away (shield shape, mounting hole, etc) because so far I've never had a sign that used process magenta as an actual print color.  blech!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

I have no problem with the current dimensions of American plates; it's what I've always known. And, I like plates with a distinctive design that doesn't obscure the number - Minnesota's and Colorado's standard designs are fine with me. While I prefer embossed, I can stomach a flat process plate as long as the font isn't that ugly generic 3M typeface. Some designs are way too busy though, such as the current and previous Texas designs that appear to try to fit as many elements into the design as possible (space shuttle! cowboy! western mountains!). Of New Mexico's plates, I prefer the older (but still issued, I think) red on yellow with the yucca. I don't care for the balloon plate as much because the numbers and letters are squeezed together, and the yellow on turquoise centennial plate isn't as readable.

I do not like black on white plates with little or nothing to provide a distinctive image for the state.

Side question: why issue an anniversary plate (centennial, sesquicentennial) in states where vehicles are issued essentially permanent plates? People are still driving around with California's 150 year anniversary on their plates 12 years after the event.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

realjd

Quote from: DaBigE on May 08, 2012, 11:42:55 PM

At least in Florida, 100% of those donations go to the sponsoring organization. The state charges a $5 service fee for printing/handling the separate plate. It seems fair to me.

DaBigE

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 09, 2012, 07:02:27 PM
Side question: why issue an anniversary plate (centennial, sesquicentennial) in states where vehicles are issued essentially permanent plates? People are still driving around with California's 150 year anniversary on their plates 12 years after the event.

Because if they operate like states such as Wisconsin, you have to place a formal request in order to receive new plates.  As part of a cost-saving measure, replacing faded or damaged plates is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.  There are plenty of Wisconsin Sesquicentennial plates still gracing the highways nearly 14 years later.   The Wisconsin DMV even put out a formal request a few months back for people with badly faded sesquicentennial plates to request replacement plates.

CentralCAroadgeek

*Incoming review from a license plate enthusiast*

In my opinion, the new Georgia plate don't seem really bad. It's actually pretty good. The fact that it's flat isn't that bad (I'm not a hater of flat plates). At least it's not in the generic 3M font (ex: Indiana, Texas) but instead uses the font that AL, MN, OK, SC, SD, and TN use. The design on the actual plate is better than the art we've had for the past year. I really like the colors on it. Also, one thing: the website is not there anymore.

As for the alternate version, it's just like the design that preceded this plate. Except with no website. I guess people with huge trucks would rather choose this plate as, I have read in some other forum, the graphic base would look "girly" on those trucks.

As for the serial, I'm not sure as to why Georgia decided to skip to the P series of plates than to continue on with the C plates that ended the old plate. I understand that the font for the flat plates are rather large, leaving no space in the serial. Just look at Arizona for an example.

bugo

To get one, we donated some money to KU cancer research, then showed our receipt at the DMV.  KU got the extra money, the DMV got our normal registration fee.

Why isn't there a prostate cancer plate?  The obsession with breast cancer is sexist.  All cancer needs to be cured, not just one kind. 

1995hoo

Quote from: bugo on May 11, 2012, 02:53:37 AM

Why isn't there a prostate cancer plate?  The obsession with breast cancer is sexist.  All cancer needs to be cured, not just one kind. 

Men can and do get breast cancer as well. Rod Roddy (the guy who used to say "come on down" on The Price Is Right) is probably the best-known male victim.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2012, 07:52:35 AM

Men can and do get breast cancer as well. Rod Roddy (the guy who used to say "come on down" on The Price Is Right) is probably the best-known male victim.

It is possible but you'd be fooling yourself if you said more than a tiny percentage of breast cancers are in men.

elsmere241

What about Brian Piccolo?

1995hoo

Quote from: bugo on May 11, 2012, 10:06:51 AM

It is possible but you'd be fooling yourself if you said more than a tiny percentage of breast cancers are in men.

If you re-read my comment, you'll notice I did not say that!

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 11, 2012, 10:12:03 AM

What about Brian Piccolo?

I'm not sure I know who that is (or was).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

To get one, we donated some money to KU cancer research, then showed our receipt at the DMV.  KU got the extra money, the DMV got our normal registration fee.

Why isn't there a prostate cancer plate?  The obsession with breast cancer is sexist.  All cancer needs to be cured, not just one kind.  

The breast cancer plate is a partnership between the University of Kansas endowment and the DMV.  As I said, the extra money goes to KU research, not the DMV.  So, I guess the question is this:  Is there a KU endowment for prostate cancer, and, if so, have they asked to partner with the DMV?  If not, then that would be why.

I think it would be totally awesome if the license plate said BOOBIES! at the bottom.  And, for colon cancer, well.....
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.