News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old US 50 routing in Cincinnati

Started by bandit957, July 02, 2016, 08:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

What was the old US 50 routing in Cincinnati, circa the 1920s or 1930s? Apparently it went northeast from downtown on Gilbert Avenue, then onto Eden Park Drive, but the trail seems to go dead from there.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Doesn't really show the street names in great detail but here is a 1926 highway map of Cincinnati:

bandit957

It looks like it went up Victory Parkway and Madison Road. Where it went from there is anybody's guess.

noelbotevera

I found a website that talks about railroads, but I found a picture of 1916 map of Cincinnati. Site link]http://www.cincinnativiews.net/Railroads.htm]Site link. There's a zoomed out version dated to 1905, and an aerial from 1949.

usends

Quote from: bandit957 on July 02, 2016, 08:54:29 PM
What was the old US 50 routing in Cincinnati, circa the 1920s or 1930s? Apparently it went northeast from downtown on Gilbert Avenue, then onto Eden Park Drive... then up Victory Parkway and Madison Road.
According to the inset on ODOT's 1927 official state highway map, the above is all correct.  From Madison, then Observatory Av, then Linwood Av, to the current route.  Historic maps can be found here: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/TechServ/TIM/Pages/OfficialTransportationMaps.aspx
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

bandit957

I thought it went all the way to Norwood at one point too.

NE2

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2016, 09:00:55 PM
Doesn't really show the street names in great detail but here is a 1926 highway map of Cincinnati:
No way is that from 1926 with US 50 Bypass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on July 03, 2016, 11:08:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2016, 09:00:55 PM
No way is that from 1926 with US 50 Bypass.

Had my doubts also but that's what the website said and I'm by far no Cincinnati street grid expert.  It's definitely pre-Interstate though...it would have to be at least 1930 or later given US 127 is there upon second viewing, that didn't come down from Toledo until then.

Avalanchez71

I would say that the first print was probably from 1926.  However, that is a reprint using the 1926 data with amendments.  It is probably from the 40's to 50's.

jjakucyk

From Linwood it would have gone to Eastern Avenue.  Where Eastern currently ramps up to Columbia Parkway it used bear right to cross the Pennsylvania/Little Miami Railroad and Duck Creek to connect with today's Wooster Road on its way to Fairfax.  The bit of Columbia Parkway between Beechmont and Meadowlark in Fairfax wasn't constructed until I think 1962, eliminating both the creek and railroad crossings. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.